chef mickey's or boma?

guangs

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
There will be 5 of us. 3 adults and 2 kids (8+3). I have a late dinner (9:10) resie at chef mickey's, but am considering trading it for an earlier dinner at boma. What do you think?

Do it! Boma is *so* good and the kids will love the atmosphere at the AKL. Check the schedule there, you might even be able to get in on some story telling or spend some time spotting animals! :thumbsup2

Those are two TOTALLY different experiences. We love Boma and enjoy Chef Mickey's. For us, we have to go to Boma every visit.

If that is your only character meal and you've promised the kids Mickey, I'd keep the Chef Mickey dinner. It has very good character interaction even if the food is nothing special.

I didn't realize there was storytelling.......and animal spotting??? Sounds like a plan!!

Just back from Disney and I did not think I would like Boma but booked it anyway for my husband. It was great. We had a party of 17 and everyone loved it. Even all the kids loved it.

Boma is delicious...Chef's Mickey's is not...That said, the characters for the kids? Priceless. Unless you go frequently take the kids to see Mickey..IMO

BOMA BOMA BOMA!!! It is a great place, plus you are at AKL. Baring a thunderstorm, your kids will be able to look through night vision goggles and see animals in the savannah. When I returned in June 07, I took 3 co-workers there for dinner and they loved it as well.

seajoker
AKL Nov 2006
POR June 2007

The food at Boma is very good. Also the kids should love the atmosphere and all the animals outside.
If your CM time was not so late i would say to stick with it since it is a character meal and there are kids with you. But due to the time i would go with Boma. It is very good!

Chef Mickey's at 9:10pm with a 3yo in my opinion is too late. BOMA is not a character meal but at 9:10pm I dont see much enjoyment for a 3yo. BOMA provides a good variety of food and I think it beats out Chef Mickey's from what I recall. I would note BOMA is a loud buffet dining room since very little dining room sounds are absorbed by the surroundings-decor. The AKL might be out of your way depending on where you may be staying but don't forget to view the animals prior to darkness. You might want to also look for the night vision goggle observation points where you can take a turn and watch the animals moving around in the darkness of night.

Thank you all!! I love to read everyone's opinions. Right now it looks like I'm going with Boma's!

BOMA hands down :cool1: No comparison in quality of food or experience.

BOMA has so many foods, so many choices, exotic and traditional. And don't forget to try the Zebra Dome desserts. The atmosphere is buffet but the colors and the resort are beautiful. There is the story telling by the fire, there are times to visit with African CMs and talk about different areas and play games, sometimes music, go out to the rock area and see all those animals, go back behind pool area and see different animals. If you go on balcony off a little "living area" on the left heading out to rock, you see another animal area. Lots of viewing places for visitors. If your camcorder has night vision it will work the same as the goggles (usually only a couple of sets to share) and then you can take home video of them as well. Check ahead about the schedule of these activties, usually posted. Even their gift shop is nice, indoor firepits......

Photo of lobby, looking out to the rock/story tell area, and story tell.

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

Honestly, we did both and will do both on our next visit. I don't know what other ADRs you have, but I'd cancel one to squeeze in both of these. I promise you the kids will LOVE Chef Mickey's. The food is good and at dinner there is a make your own sundae bar? :dance3: Oh and I get to be loud and wave my napkin while having dinner in a big restarant, mommy can we go there Pleeeeze? :yay: This is one of the very few placs you get to see Donald Duck. I never even saw him in a park. Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Goofy are there and they pay attention to the kids even when you are just waiting for your table. Your kids are at great ages to appreciate Chef Mickey's and their reactions will likely be priceless for you. :cloud9:

The only problem we had at Chef Mickey's was pulling Mom away from the nearby gift shop, its huge! :rolleyes1

The case for Boma has been made and I won't add to that.

There will be 5 of us. 3 adults and 2 kids (8+3). I have a late dinner (9:10) resie at chef mickey's, but am considering trading it for an earlier dinner at boma. What do you think?

Yikes! Our family loves them both...but they are SOOOOO different.

Boma's food is just awesome, IMHO, and that's the main attraction to eating there.

Chef Mickey's, especially with the kids, is a GREAT time for everyone. The characters are just a bunch of fun. The food isn't spectacular (but not awful, either), and typical for most buffets.

We do both every trip...but I think the KIDS would be most disappointed if we cut CM's...while my wife and I would be most disappointed if we cut Boma's.

Edit: Just to be clear: You can't see the animals from within the restaurant, but there is animal viewing not far away, across the pool area (same place they have the night vision goggles). The story telling, likewise, doesn't take place IN boma's, but at a firepit just outside the lobby area, near the "main" animal viewing area for the Arusha Savannah.

My DH, DD, and myself are going to be staying at the AKL for the first time, and we have ressies for Boma's one night. It is great to hear that everyone really likes it. My DH can be a picky eater so I am hoping that the variety of foods will be ok. Keep the comments coming.........:wizard:

My DH, DD, and myself are going to be staying at the AKL for the first time, and we have ressies for Boma's one night. It is great to hear that everyone really likes it. My DH can be a picky eater so I am hoping that the variety of foods will be ok. Keep the comments coming.........:wizard:

We've gone with picky eaters before.

There's lots of offerings (the prime rib, BBQ Ribs on some nights, and some of the starches) to please them. In addition, you'll see adults picking from the kids offerings (which are as "safe" as you get...chicken tenders, mac and cheese, etc) to supplement the more "meat and potatoes" stuff on the regular buffet.

And for those with a more adventurous palette......there's even more.

That's one nice thing about Boma's being a buffet. Even if you're normally picky, you can take a very small portion of something, try it...and if you find you don't like it, no problem....just leave the rest on your plate, eat what you like, and go back up to the buffet.

HopperFan.. thank you for those beautiful photos!!!

I have never eaten at Chef Mickey's but my family and I went to Boma on Sept 2nd and LOVED it! My husband and I are adventurous eaters so we loved having all the different choices and some meals we couldn't even pronounce! I wish I was hungerier than I was so I could have sampled more but after a bit I got so stuffed.. even the more picky eaters found stuff there they liked... if you are looking for a different eating experience with new flavors you should definintely try it!!!

I told my husband we're going to have to take another trip back just to eat there again!

Boma's wins my vote!!
The food will please everyone, and you'll love going over to the overlook after dinner to watch the animals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter