Chef Mickey's food comparable to what non-Disney restaurant?

BuzzAndWoodyBoy

Mouseketeer
We had planned on going to Chef Mickey's our very first day for dinner but with all the horrible reviews I'm getting worried. I was wondering if someone could compare the food quality there with someplace I would know. Is it equivalent to a Denny's/Bobs Big Boy? Or more of a Ruby Tuesday/Bennigan/Fridays? or better? or worse?

Like everyone always says on here, you have to know the reviewers tastes to get a feel for their reviews but the only thing I ever see are Disney reviews. Since I haven't eaten at Disney in over 5 years and can't even remember any table service meal I've had, it's hard for me to get a feel. Thank you so much...

Hi,

If the menu appeals to you, give it a try. Never mind what others say about a restaurant, everyone's taste is different. If you do a search for Chef Mickey's on this board you will find lots of people who love it too.

Bob

We are planning CM dinner for our 1st night to get in the Disney spirit! Never been so cant comment on food, but we're going regardless of what anyone else thinks of it b/c our kids will enjoy it, & that's what it's all about! If the food is edible that's a bonus :) I've heard the potatos & desserts are ok, Have fun :flower:

The food is ok. Nothing great, nothing horrible. The meal is a good time and your kids will love it. We had a good time and lots of character interaction, but we all agreed that the food wasn't all that good and that some of the other character meals that we went to were by far better. I would say go and try it out. You won't leave hungry, but I also think you won't have had the best meal you'll have at disney.

The restaurant is fun. The food is better than places like Ponderosa and Golden Corral but not substantially better.

The food is good, nothing mouth watering that leaves you in awe but it is a really really fun place and I think it has the most Disney feel of any of the buffets and restaurants (CRT is good for princesses.) The mashed potatoes are really good and I enjoyed the prime rib (I am usually picky too) I wouldn't compare it to Bob's Big Boy but maybe on the line of Ruby Tuesday's. There is peeled shrimpl, soups, bread and the ice cream toppings bar is a jaw-dropper for the kids!!!

We like CM....I think you could have a bad review at the best restaurant given the right circumstances....give CM a try!

Well, I'm not crazy about the food at Chef Mickey's but it's also not horrible. How's this--I'd much rather eat the food at Chef Mickey's than the stuff they serve at Applebee's. BLECH. I can't stand Applebee's. All the veggies there taste like they are right out of a freezer bag and the meats are sub-par (with a few exceptions). Of course, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than Chef Mickey's.

I'm no fan of CM. But we did the breakfast, food was like a Big Boy breakfast bar, not great but not bad either. Mostly we had an unpleasant experience with the hostess. We did not care for our table location and asked to be moved and were put in a worse place! :mad: The character interaction wasn't great and we were totally out of the loop on the napkin dance thing. My kids were very turned off of character meals and we probably won't eat there again. We liked the Cape May breakfast so much better!

Christine said:
Well, I'm not crazy about the food at Chef Mickey's but it's also not horrible. How's this--I'd much rather eat the food at Chef Mickey's than the stuff they serve at Applebee's. BLECH. I can't stand Applebee's. All the veggies there taste like they are right out of a freezer bag and the meats are sub-par (with a few exceptions). Of course, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than Chef Mickey's.

I won't step foot into Applebees.
I ordered a quesadilla. It wasn't even one tortilla's worth. Just two little slivers. Just to guage the size, I took the top covers off, and put em on next to the bottom, and I didn't even get half a circle out of it.
And it tasted like they opened a baggie and microwaved it. When I complained, they were totally unresponsive. The first time I had gone it was below par compared to its competitors also. The meat was tough as leather the first time, so I ordered the quesadilla the second to get around that issue. Two tries is enough considering there's about 5 other Corporate American Bistros on every block.

Cannot_Wait_4Disney said:
I won't step foot into Applebees.
I ordered a quesadilla. It wasn't even one tortilla's worth. Just two little slivers. Just to guage the size, I took the top covers off, and put em on next to the bottom, and I didn't even get half a circle out of it.
And it tasted like they opened a baggie and microwaved it. When I complained, they were totally unresponsive. The first time I had gone it was below par compared to its competitors also. The meat was tough as leather the first time, so I ordered the quesadilla the second to get around that issue. Two tries is enough considering there's about 5 other Corporate American Bistros on every block.

Ah, a kindred spirit!! Applebee's manages to keep busy so someone likes it.

Anyway, I like Chef Mickey's better than Applebee's.

OP, does that give you any frame of reference?

CM is our family favourite ... you go for the atmosphere not really the food ... the food is buffet so its never going to be amazing, but its a good selection.

Must admit that the best time we ever had there was when we just turned up and sat waiting for a table at CM for about an hour in the outer rim bar which is just before you get to CM entrance. Their Chocolate Martinis are perfection ... I seem to remember the adults in our party having almost more fun than the kids that night !!!! Twirl those napkins !!!!

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

To be honest, I can't think of a restaurant to compare CM's to, however we have been 3 times and have always found the food to be pretty good and we never left hungry. Other than my DS4, we are not finicky eaters, and even DS found something that he was able to eat there. I am not a big fan of buffets and the term "all-you-can-eat" means nothing to me since I just eat one average portion and perhaps a few bites of dessert, and if our family was still just DH and I, we would definitely skip CM's. With that being said, the atmosphere at CM's is very kid-friendly and my 2 have a blast waving napkins and getting up close and personal with the characters, so we will be making ADR's for CM's for our upcoming trip. When they are little, it's all about the kids to us :flower: .

We ate dinner at Chef Mickey's in November 2004. I wasn't expecting much and was VERY pleasantly surprised! I thought the food was much, much better than any of the restaurants you listed. (And I don't like Applebee's either!) I can't really think of a chain that you would compare it to-- I think the food is better than most of the chains out there. My dh loved the prime rib, and I loved the pastas and desserts and the kids loved all the food and the characters (they were only 1 and 3 at the time). Definitely much better than Applebees, Fridays etc... and if you have children that enjoy seeing Mickey-- we found it to be well worth the $$. We will definitely do it on our next trip. We liked CM much better than Crystal Palace (although that was ok too.)

Have a great trip!
jennifer

See, I thought the breakfast at CMs was sooooo much better than the dinner. We did a late breakfast and turned it into lunch - it was good.

We are going to try it in Sept for dinner on our first night in the world...try it I hear it is very fun!!

I happen to LOVE Applebees and the weight watchers menu :) I also like their steamed veggies....and the sirloin has always been good to me...JMO

Texian@WDW said:
See, I thought the breakfast at CMs was sooooo much better than the dinner. We did a late breakfast and turned it into lunch - it was good.

Ditto here! The dinner food quality was quite blah...

Bob P said:
Hi,

If the menu appeals to you, give it a try. Never mind what others say about a restaurant, everyone's taste is different. If you do a search for Chef Mickey's on this board you will find lots of people who love it too.

Bob

Agreed!! As you can already see, everyone is different. Our family actually loves CM for dinner on our first night (it has become tradition). It is truly a perfect start to get you into the Disney Spirit. The character interaction is generally very good and the food is good for a buffet. My DS talks about CM year round and always looks forward to it on every trip (well....we all do)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter