Chef Mickey vs 1900 PF?

Lady from NYC

Earning My Ears
Chef Mickey's--is the food really that bad? is 1900 Park Fare a lot better? i tried to get ps for 1900, but could only get in to CM :( i was at chef mickey's a few years ago, but haven't been a in awhile--has the food really deteroriated that much??

In my honest opinion, the 1900 is WAY WAY better for dinner than Chef Mickey's. The food is very good!:hyper:

Have done Chef Mickey's for breakfast a few times and have always been pleased.:D

Tried Chef Mickey's for dinner on my last trip and YUCK!!! Worst meal I have ever had at WDW!! Food was awful and a complete waste of money. Never again!
:mad:

Oh no. That's not good news. I guess that is why I was not able to get PS for 1900. I keep calling everyday, but the restaurant is booked every day of my trip :( I guess I will keep the CM ones and keep my fingers crossed about 1900 opening up for two people.

I have to disagree on the Chef Mickey, WE LOVE IT!!!! We've never had a bad meal there. In fact it's our family tradition on the first full day of our disney trip we eat there. My kids, and I, love the atmosphere, hubby tolerates it :-). I have noticed the waiters aren't as fun as we've had in the past, but I'm hoping this trip will be different. I love the parmesan mashed potatoes. I do think Park Fare has more to choose from, but Chef Mickey is definately more fun ~ don't be discouraged, just go and have a great time!!!!:Pinkbounc :bounce:

Keep in mind 1900 PK Fare dinner is with Cinderella & friends so it's becoming quite popular.

CM is not that bad at dinner. I wasn't impressed the first time we went because I had high expectations because the boards praised it for a while. We went again in May and it was pretty good. We went a little early so the food seemed fresher. There were lots of really good desserts too:tongue:

I would also have to disagree. We LOVE Chef Mickeys, we are actually eating there once for breakfast and once for dinner when we go! I think the food is VERY good! The 1900 is good too but in my opinion, not quite as good. It is all personal preference and depends on what characters you want to see! The princess breakfast and dinners are the most popular and if you want to get into those they have to be booked 60 days in advance, right at the 60 day mark! I think you will be pleased with Chef Mickeys. We go to WDW every year and we keep going back to CM! The Concourse Steakhouse next door is very good too!

Gina::MinnieMo

and enjoyed them both. It is hard to compare the two- we usually do CM every trip, so it is an old favorite, but tried the Cindy dinner for the first time. The food at CM on this trip tasted fresher and better than the last time. We went on a Sat at 5 pm. I admit the food did not seem to be up to "Disney standards" last time. Maybe you need to go early?

We loved the Cindy dinner and the several food choices, especially the little island with the garlic shrimp pasta. DD had a wonderful Bday celebration there-they gave her a crown and placemat & sang Happy Bday to her. Only thing is- the server forgot all the birthdays in our section, until I mentioned it again to him when he was about to give him the check. I wasn't looking for anything free, but it was noted everywhere, and he had not even wished DD a Happy Birthday, which the servers usually do. (I heard from a friend who had been there this past Spring that Cindy herself sang Happy Birthday to their DD) On the other hand, I prefer CRT to see all the princesses, so this ressie really was made in case I couldn't get ressies for that. (Turns out we did CRT twice and PSB once, but kept these ressies anyway!)
What I'm trying to say is, the food is great, but the characters are only from Cinderella. There were the mice, Cindy, Prince Charming, and the Fairy Godmother.

If I had to make a choice from the two, it would be based mostly on the characters. IMHO, you get more character bang for your buck from CRT (or PSB) and CM. Unless, of course, you are a major Cindy fan. If you are looking at who has the better food choices, I might lean towards 1900 PF. Every trip I have the $ available, I will do both.
HTH!

i'm glad to hear some positive reviews of CM. The way some threads described it, it sounded like a really bad McDonalds. We used to CM before it was called that--about 10-12 years ago at the Comptemporary when it was a buffet w/out the characters and always enjoyed it. I know it is very "kid friendly" now and a bit ouder than I remember it. We are two adults in their mid-20's, so the characters really aren't the draw for us. We would rather go where the food is better. I keep trying for 1900 PF, but as you all mentioned, apparently, the new princess theme is really popular. We looked at the 1900 PF menu when we were at WDW in December and thought it sounded really good & a bit more upscale/adult food. I didn't make the PS ressie early enough this time though :( We also used to go to the dinner buffet at Cape May about 10 years ago when we switched from Comtemporary to YC as our favorite hotel. We always found Cape May really good (even thought we are not big seafood eaters), but we recently tried Cape May again in December and found that the quality had really gone down a lot :( Even though we are staying close to the CM, I don't think we are going to risk it again, we rather travel to a monorail hotel if their buffets are better. Again, the characters are really not important to us at all, we want good food. Our PS are at 7:30, so hopefully the CM food will still be pretty fresh then ;)

p.s. does anyone think that the food/buffet quality in general has gone down at disney in the last few years, especially since the economy and tourism has been hit so hard. when i went to disney in my teens about 10 years ago, i remember the food being a lot better and disney quality in general being better.

We ate at both on our trip in December and I thought that both were pretty good. The CM food was surprisingly good I thought (and note we ate at V&A's and Artist Pointe during that trip as well). In fact, the fish at CM was the best I had all week - maybe a fluke? They also had wonderful Mickey Mouse raviolis that my daughter loved and was better for her than the usual kids buffet. That being said - we had early (5:30) PSs so that may have made a difference in the food quality. The dessert selection was vast and the key lime pie was very good!
At 1900 park fare the food was also good - the other members of my party said better than CM but I have to say that the fish offering wasn't as good there (I'm not a meat eater so I can't speak to that). There were some very good mixed mashed potatoes here and the pasta bar and some to-die-for cream of mushroom soup. I didn't think that the dessert selection here was as good as chef mickeys. I felt that character interaction at both was rushed a bit. Best character interaction that we had at a meal was the princess breakfast in Norway.

zillow-thanks for the report. do you remember any of the other menu items at CM? what kind of salad bar was there? what about sidedishes--i hear they have good mashed potatoes, but what other sides are there? what about veggies, etc? is there pasta salad or potato salad, etc? is there chicken AND prime rib?

thanks so much :)

To me, 1900 Park Faire is the way to go! The food is fantastic, as is the service, and the characters are great. It was also not as loud or crowded. The lines for the buffet weren't as long, either.

Have a great time!

Originally posted by Lady from NYC
Chef Mickey's--is the food really that bad? is 1900 Park Fare a lot better? i tried to get ps for 1900, but could only get in to CM :( i was at chef mickey's a few years ago, but haven't been a in awhile--has the food really deteroriated that much??

For us we do 1900 Park Fare for breakfast on every trip and Chef Mickey's for dinner on every trip.

We were just there in September and enjoyed our meal very much. We get the prime rib with the parmesan (sp?) mashed potatoes and they had buttered baby carrots. I have a fresh salad with cold cuts to start and then cheese cake for desert. They also have Grey Goose Vodka so I was able to get a vodka tonic to wash it all down with.

We have never done dinner at 1900 Park Fare as we love the made to order omlet bar they have at breakfast so that is why we do breakfast at one and dinner at the other.

I feel both are pretty good for breakfast (1900 a tad better). Dinner we don't do those types, we are more of a sit down. Family members don't like buffets very much.

DH and I actually prefer Chef Mickey's to 1900 Park Fare for dinner. We thought the food was much better and liked the overall set up better. We were last there about a year ago and thought the food was very good and the character interaction was great.

great review. i'm glad to hear that you and your DH enjoyed CM. Can you tell me what you remember was on the menu--salads, sides, veggies, meats, etc.? also, are unlimited sodas or ice tea included at CM?

thanks a bunch!

Not to hijack your thread, Lady from NYC, but we're another couple in our twenties from NYC who are trying to decide between Chef Mickeys and 1900 Park Faire- but for breakfast! It seems most of the posts are about dinner- any thoughts on breakfast?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter