• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chef Mickey or Ohana for Breakfast

aprilbabes

Mouseketeer
I have to balance out the Mickey and Princess meals to be fair to my daughter and son :) On our last trip I was totally unimpressed with the dinner at CM. I was glad we did it for the experience - the character interaction was the beat and my kids LOVED it, but I vowed I wouldn't return. On the other hand, We loved the dinner at Ohana (even though no characters) and I know the breakfast is supposed to be excellent as well - plus Mickey and Pluto will be there i nthe Hawaiian shirts! (My 1 yr old son is obsessed with Mickey). Is the character interaction at Ohana as good as it is at CM? I know Goofy and Donald aren't there but we can see them at Tusker.

I would say, Yes.

We have been to both.

I vote for Ohana over Chef Mickey's since you are going to Tusker House. Since, Lilo & Stitch are here along with Mickey & Pluto.

:goodvibes

I wouldn't say the character interaction was better - it was our worst of the trip (except Pluto!), but that's a crapshoot you get anywhere, it all depends with who is on shift for the character that day.

The restaurant was beautiful and the food is served family-style (they'll bring you more as needed) and it was really good. They have all the classic breakfast food - eggs, bacon, Mickey Waffles, fruit, etc.

They have a character "parade" fairly often (twice while I was there) where the characters and all the kids in the restaurant get maracas and parade around the tables.

The only disappointment for us was the other characters (except Pluto - it was our best Pluto interaction on the trip and he's the boys' favorite, so that made it more than worth it).

We would eat there again, but my kids said Chef Mickey's is the place they want to go every trip, no matter what. And I do love all the options at CM for breakfast!

The food is definitely better at Ohana's, and they have Lilo and Stitch! Our character interaction was great and they do a dance around the restaurant that the kids could join in so they loved that. I haven't had dinner at Chef Mickey's, just breakfast and it was okay, nothing to brag about but the character's were great. Since you're already eating with the same characters, I would definitely say Ohana's.

Been to both for the different meals. CM dinner is not very good, but we still go the for breakfast. Ohana breakfast has that lilikoi juice which is very good. As for character interaction, agree with previous poster - it depends on shift that day. With CM, you get the five characters. With Ohana, you get four. Other decision maker may be that CM is the buffet, but Ohana is table side.

Been to both at lunch and dinner. IMHO, CM is just a novelty...every time we've gone I get that bill and think how overpriced and over rated it is there. If you're on the DDP it may be different but it is soooo not worth it to me. It's not always easy to see all the characters either. Went for dd's birthday a few years ago (at breakfast) and was looking forward to a happy birthday with a character there like we've seen all the other times we were there (for other kids). No character, just the server brought over a cupcake with a candle and I sang Happy Birthday to her, kind of lame if you ask me...and then handed that $70 bill even after our TIW discount, haven't been back since...there some things on the buffet that are good, but just not worth it (did I say that already more than once?;)) BTW, we've been for dinner and I still have the same opinion about that meal too.;)

O'Hana is a little more relaxed although the food left a LOT to be desired, everything was cold and definitely sitting for a while but the characters were a little more fun and spent more time at the table. Dinner here is hit or miss, think it depends on your server. We had a fun server last time, even though it still felt like we were rushed a bit he was very attentive.

Keep in mind everyone has their opinions and experiences. I like to dine a few times before I give a negative review because sometimes they have an "off" day. Some may not be as picky as others. The character meals are a novelty, you're there more for the character interaction/atmosphere Although some of the buffets are rather good, like CP at lunch (been there for dinner, not as good as lunch).:thumbsup2

I have to balance out the Mickey and Princess meals to be fair to my daughter and son :) On our last trip I was totally unimpressed with the dinner at CM. I was glad we did it for the experience - the character interaction was the beat and my kids LOVED it, but I vowed I wouldn't return. On the other hand, We loved the dinner at Ohana (even though no characters) and I know the breakfast is supposed to be excellent as well - plus Mickey and Pluto will be there i nthe Hawaiian shirts! (on is obsessed with Mickey). Is the character interaction at Ohana as good as it is at CM? I know Goofy and Donald aren't there but we can see them at Tusker.

Your 1 yr old would clinch it for me. At Ohana, the food is brought to your table for you; you don't have to get up and go get it. Go to Ohana, sit back, and relax!!!

I would vote Ohana, too. Much more relaxed and the price is MUCH better. The food is great. That sausage. Drool!

Another vote for O'hana.

It's our "must do" every visit. DS is now 16 and still requests this place. we love the POG juice and the food is good and plenty. And they never seem to mind our picky eater's request (bring the eggs separately so they don't touch anything else)

I definitely vote O'Hana as well! We had a late ADR for breakfast (so it felt like a brunch) and thought that the character interactions were much longer and more enjoyable! Food was delish and plentiful! Loved their punch! The CMs brought over Kona pressed pot from Kona Cafe when we asked, that added a special touch cause DH and I love our press pots! Stitch was the best! It could've been that we were one of the last families dining which kept the interactions longer.

The bread and the juice, YUMMY!

O'Hanas is the way to go...BUT I will say the overall characters are better at CM. Fortuantely for me, my DS is 12 and is ok with just going to O'Hanas now. CM is fun, BUT OVERPRICED for the quality of food. And I am sorry but the buffet doesn't appeal to me any more wit all the germs out there....

Look in to Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom, or maybe the one in Epcot with Chip and Dale, and I also think there is one at BC as well...

We haven't eaten at O'hana jut plan on breakfast next visit. We ate at Chef Mickeys in De for the first time and were completely underwhelmed and disappointed in the buffet. Most of the hot items were horrible! The character interaction was fabulous! Our waitress was attentive and personable. Would we return to CM? Probably, because the kids lived it but if I had to choose one or the other I'd try something new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter