• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cheese Ball Yak Attack: 2 kids, 2 dogs, 1200 miles - The Sequel

Alright everybody - it's Thursday. I work 4 x 10 hour days, with Thursdays off, so I'm home with the kids today. I probably won't be around to watch over things until this evening. Can I trust you to not destroy the place?

I'll leave you with this:

Cliff: Hey, Norm, What's up?
Norm: My blood-alcohol level.

Alright everybody - it's Thursday. I work 4 x 10 hour days, with Thursdays off, so I'm home with the kids today. I probably won't be around to watch over things until this evening. Can I trust you to not destroy the place?

Probably about as well as Ferris Beuller's parents could trust him to get to school each day :lmao:

HI BAMBI!! :wave2:

Careful... you start letting work get in the way and pretty soon you'll get my reputation :rolleyes1 :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh, I don't think it will get that bad. Trust me, Don. You're one in a... billion <---that last word was said with my pinkie up at the corner of my mouth.

Ya, stupid work.....oh oh...hang on, I'm my own boss now....Nick, your doing a great job, take the rest of the day to play on the Dis.:)
Nice job Nick. Give yourself a raise while you're at it!

Hey, if nothing else, we amuse ourselves. That counts for something, right?
You amuse me too. Then again, a shiny set of keys amuses me.

Probably about as well as Ferris Beuller's parents could trust him to get to school each day :lmao:

You're Abe Froeman?! The sausage king of Chicago?!

Are you suggesting that I'm not who I say I am?

Alright guys, lets not get snooty. I mean snotty.

Oh, and here's another great Normism:

"What's the story, Norm?"
"Boy meets beer. Boy drinks beer. Boy meets another beer."

"First of all, you can never go to far, and secondly, if I'm going to get busted, it is NOT going to be by a guy like THAT."

Oh, and here's another great Normism:

Woody: "What are you up to, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: "My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall."

After tossing and turning all night in a less than comfy pull out couch at Animal Kingdom Villas, I awoke around 6. We planned on being up around 7, so I had an entire hour to myself. I got dressed, grabbed the camera and headed out for a walk.

The obligatory room number shot:
IMG_8233.JPG

Some fancy hall way lighting
IMG_8234.JPG

Outside, looking back at the main entrance to the lobby
IMG_8238.JPG

IMG_8240.JPG

IMG_8243.JPG

At the edge of the pool, looking back at the resort building. Love the grasslands. It really adds to the theme of the resort.
IMG_8248.JPG

Disney doesn't miss a chance to slap their brand on anything, do they? This is the towel cart out at the pool.
IMG_8252.JPG

I walked back through the lobby and out into the savannah. The have a very nice viewing area out there, including a fire pit where the have African story tellers out at night. We didn't get a chance to sit in on one this time, but certainly plan to in December.
IMG_8255.JPG

IMG_8259.JPG

IMG_8260.JPG

I made my way back to the room and found everyone awake, ready and roaring to start the day!
IMG_8262.JPG

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

The kids were totally warn out by the swimming yesterday, but we wanted to get to Magic Kingdom as close to rope drop as we could. Evan woke up fairly easily, but the princess required much more coaxing. Eventually, everybody go up and dressed - Madison in her Princess Tiana dress and Evan in his Buzz Lightyear suit.
IMG_8268.JPG

We packed up all of our stuff, tossed it in the van and headed over to the Magic Kingdom where we met up with Grandma and Grandpa at the monorail. We just missed rope drop, but not by much.

Our plan today was simple - hit all the stuff we hadn't done yet. OK, maybe not all the stuff, but we had three main goals for the day: Big Thunder Mountain RailRoad, Splash Mountain, and meeting Princess Tiana.
We had been measuring Evan for the last 4 months. He was inching closer and closer to that magical 40" mark. Finally, 3 weeks before we left, I put him in his tallest hiking boots, and measured him at 40 1/2" Whoo Hoo! He has been looking forward to doing those big rides for soooo long. And seeing Madison be able to do them in October was torture on him. Amazingly, he had another growth spurt before we left and he measured over 40" even in his Crocs.

When the Princess and the Frog came out in November, we all went together. It was the first movie theater experience for both kids. Madison was transfixed and has been looking forward to meeting Tiana ever since.

We checked the Times Guide when we got there and saw that Tiana and Prince Naveen started appearing at 10:00, giving us 45 minutes to see what else we could get in.

We headed straight for Frontierland and found it almost abandoned. Its true - most people head to Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. We walked up to BTMRR and measured Evan by their stick - he cleared it by over 1/2"! I grabbed fast passes for later and the four of us headed up because the wait was 10 minutes. (Grandma and Grandpa were wandering around getting pictures and some breakfast)

The "10 minute" wait must have been how long it took to walk to the train, because the ride was a walk on. The entire walk, Madison was comforting Evan and reassuring him that it would be OK and that he would be fun. He didn't need the reassuring, but Madison wanted to do it anyway. What a sister.
We got the last two rows on the train.
IMG_8286.JPG

IMG_8289.JPG

The ride was awesome! Evan loved it, Madison loved it. (Bambi and I loved it, but no one seems to care what we think.)

So we started walking over towards the Christmas shop, as Tiana's garden was right behind it.

A quick stop for a pretty picture
101_1123.jpg

More on Tiana in my next update, but here's a preview
IMG_8291.JPG

Great update Barry! I especially like the Princess Tiana's Garden pic and I'll have to show these pics to Meg (our 2 yo) as she loves Buzz.

Alright guys, lets not get snooty. I mean snotty.
"First of all, you can never go to far, and secondly, if I'm going to get busted, it is NOT going to be by a guy like THAT."
I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind.

Woody: "What are you up to, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: "My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall."

Woody: What's up?
Norm: The warranty on my liver.

Great update Barry! I especially like the Princess Tiana's Garden pic and I'll have to show these pics to Meg (our 2 yo) as she loves Buzz.

Thanks! Evan's had that costume since last October. As great as his growth spurts were for riding rides, the pants are about 3 inches short on him now! He loves it and won't let us get ride of it. :rotfl2:

After tossing and turning all night in a less than comfy pull out couch at Animal Kingdom Villas, I awoke around 6. We planned on being up around 7, so I had an entire hour to myself. I got dressed, grabbed the camera and headed out for a walk.

What a great little update. Love the pics. I love taking a morning walk around the resorts. And Madison is a cutie in her Tiana dress!

I've got too many swirling around in my head to come up with a clear, concise (and funny as hell) caption for this one, so we'll have a caption contest. Please post your caption(s). A winner will be selected and awarded absolutely nothing.
IMG_8085.JPG

It's now time for everyone favorite game show Name That Cheese, Evan will now cut the cheese, Madison name that cheese:lmao:

It's now time for everyone favorite game show Name That Cheese, Evan will now cut the cheese, Madison name that cheese:lmao:

:rotfl::laughing::rotfl::laughing::rotfl:

That's a good one! :thumbsup2

Great updates Barry! I especially like the high-water Buzz costume. :thumbsup2 We have some mini-skirt princess costumes that can't be worn in public. :rotfl:

Operator: I have a emergency call for you on line five, from a Mr. Hamm.
Capt. Clarence Oveur: Alright, give me Hamm on five, hold the mayo.

AKL looks so peaceful early in the morning...

You got a pics of the ducks doing laps! Hopefully they weren't leaving deposits in that pool!!! :lmao::lmao:

Now I can stalk you and see how close we were to each other all day! :rotfl:

What a great little update. Love the pics. I love taking a morning walk around the resorts. And Madison is a cutie in her Tiana dress!
Thanks. As I was taking pictures of the pool, I was chatting with another gentleman on a morning walk. He was Canadian so, like me, he was not affected by the morning cold weather. :lmao: Anyway, they had just gotten down the day before and went right to the MK. They hadn't planned for a day around the resort, but looking at the pool, he was certainly considering it!

:rotfl::rotfl2:Nice one!:lmao::rotfl:

Great updates Barry! I especially like the high-water Buzz costume. :thumbsup2 We have some mini-skirt princess costumes that can't be worn in public. :rotfl:
He gets a lot of compilments on the suit in the parks. For every hundred little girls dressed up as princesses, you see only a handful of little pirates. Aside from the Halloween party, I don't think I've ever seen a little guy dressed up as anything but a pirate. Evan is certainly one of a kind. :thumbsup2

AKL looks so peaceful early in the morning...

You got a pics of the ducks doing laps! Hopefully they weren't leaving deposits in that pool!!! :lmao::lmao:

Now I can stalk you and see how close we were to each other all day! :rotfl:
Where do you think Donald does his business? :rotfl2:
I love any of the resorts in the morning. The places are basically deserted so you can wander where ever you want and only come across an occasional cast member or another early riser. There's usually just a bit of a nip in the air. Not enough to be cold, but just enough to remind you that you're in Florida and it's going to be a beautiful day. :goodvibes

Okay I was just at WDW and we didn't see Tiana's Garden how did we miss :confused3 that? When we were walking from our resort to the International Gateway at Epcot she was right inside the gate with her Prince taking pictures and just a few kids, in the middle of the day. I don't think people knew that they were there. Great update!

Great pictures! :thumbsup2

You're making me want to go to the AKL...now! There's definitely something about being up early and being able to wander around the resort, like you have it all to yourself. Awesome feeling. We did that at WL on our last trip. I even have video of Scotty waving at the ducks in the pool. :laughing:

FreezinRafiki said:
The ride was awesome! Evan loved it, Madison loved it. (Bambi and I loved it, but no one seems to care what we think.)

I care. I just care about the kids more. :lmao: I'm impressed you could take pictures while looking backwards on the ride, though. That's impressive hand-eye coordination, and probably hard to do with a stomach full of cheese balls.

I love the look on Madion's face standing outside Tiana's garden!

Okay I was just at WDW and we didn't see Tiana's Garden how did we miss :confused3 that? When we were walking from our resort to the International Gateway at Epcot she was right inside the gate with her Prince taking pictures and just a few kids, in the middle of the day. I don't think people knew that they were there. Great update!

If no one is there, it's pretty easy to miss. Just as you get off the bridge crossing from the hub into Liberty Square, look to your left. You will see the gazebo decked out with roses.

On our first trip down in 1 BC (Before Children), we saw Snow White and Aurora down there in Epcot. I don't thing we've seen anyone down there since.

Great pictures! :thumbsup2

You're making me want to go to the AKL...now! There's definitely something about being up early and being able to wander around the resort, like you have it all to yourself. Awesome feeling. We did that at WL on our last trip. I even have video of Scotty waving at the ducks in the pool. :laughing:
Did the duck wave back?

I care. I just care about the kids more. :lmao: I'm impressed you could take pictures while looking backwards on the ride, though. That's impressive hand-eye coordination, and probably hard to do with a stomach full of cheese balls.

I'd like to take some sort of photographic credit for this, but I really just aimed the camera over my shoulder and hit the button. There were some shots that I didn't even get the ride train in the frame at all. :rolleyes1

So when I left you hanging a few hours ago at the end of my last post, we had just gotten off of BTMRR and were walking back through a still mostly deserted Frontierland to meet Princess Tiana. Grandpa had confirmed with another character handler that Tiana and Naveen would be there at 10.
We got there around 9:45 and find Grandpa already first in line. Well, it's not really a line per say, just him standing there all by himself.

After a few minutes of waiting, more and more people start showing up, including a little girl who was probably about 3 or 4 wearing white & pink princess dress. She slowly walked up to Madison (who was wearing her Tiana dress) and just smiled at her. The had a little conversation about each others dresses, then she went back to her place in line. Her dad seemed a little surprised by this, and told me that she was a very shy girl and that was something that she never did. Madison seems to bring that out in people. :goodvibes

So after a few more minutes, the PhotoPass guy comes out and we have a little chat. By now it's about 5 minutes after 10 and the line is probably 15-20 families long. It pays to plan ahead, kids!

Tiana and Naveen come out behind us and circle around a large landscape area. Madison was a bit short, so I don't think she saw them until they came around the corner, at which time:
IMG_8296.JPG

IMG_8302.JPG

Madison, Tiana and Naveen had quite a little talk going. Eventually, they let us interrupt for a family picture. Evan doesn't quite have Madison's outgoing bubbliness, and was feeling a bit shy this morning.
IMG_8311.JPG

It was at this time that Tiana started trying to convince Madison to give Naveen a kiss, and that she wouldn't turn into a frog by doing so. Madison wasn't quite believing her.
IMG_8320.JPG

I wish I know exactly what they were saying here.
IMG_8321.JPG

Eventually, Naveen got his kiss and (to my knowledge) Madison never turned into a frog.
IMG_8324.JPG

All in all, Madison spent close to 5 minutes with them chatting, getting pictures and autographs. She absolutely loved it! By the time we circled back around to where we had left the stroller, the line had grown considerably. Lots of people were admiring Madison's dress and telling her how adorable she was, and how she looked just like Tiana. :idea: That's when I started advertising a "shorter line for a shorter Tiana!" Again, my notes say this is where Bambi rolled her eyes and walked away. That can't be right, can it?

So, it's now about quarter after 10, and all we had to do the rest of the day was ride Splash Mountain. I ran over there to get Fast Passes for later in the day when it would be warmer out.

I met everyone else at one of the walkways into Adventureland. We caught some of the Captain Jack show on our way over to check out the Pirates League. Evan and the little boy we're going with in December want to do it, and Madison also expressed interest. The problem with that is that she refuses to walk into the World of Disney Store in Downtown Disney through the entrance that has the pirate skeletons shaking the prison bars. I took Madison in to show her what it was and to see if she would be scared. I explained her situation to one of the cast members who was very nice. He took her around a little, showing her exactly what happens. Within a minute or two, 4 or 5 other cast members all come over to admire her dress and talk to her. One even sat down next to her with a few rubber bands and tied some cute little butterfly looking things in the straps of Madison's dress to make it fit better. She said it was an old trick that the Fairy Godmother taught her when she used to hang around over by the castle. So, long story short, Madison found a pink pirate dress and is very excited to do the Pirates League in December.

Since we were there anyway, and Pirates of the Caribbean has a posted 5 minute way, and since Madison had all sorts of new found courage, we rode. Evan had done this in October, but this was Madison's first ride. She was a bit frightened. Not of the characters so much, but just of the unknown - as in "what's around the next turn". After the ride was over, she never showed that she was scared at all.

The Captain Jack show had long finished by the time we got out, and Madison wanted a picture on the stage. I didn't know we were supposed to be striking a pirate pose.
IMG_8334.JPG

We met up with Grandma and Grandpa again, and they took the kids on Aladdin's carpets because, as they like to point out, "it's too scary for Mommy and Daddy, so we'll take you on this ride."
IMG_8339.JPG

From there, we walked right into the Enchanted Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki room.
IMG_8354.JPG

Madison has been watching a lot of the 2nd Aladdin movie (Return of Jafar. It was straight to video, and you can certainly tell by the quality.) Anyway, Iago has a big part in that movie, along with switching sides and joining forces against Jafar. Madison was very excited to see him. Unfortunately, Iago was on the other side of the dark theater, so I didn't get many good pictures of him.

It was then back onto POTC again (posted wait time: 10 minutes), this time with all 6 of us. And this guy.
IMG_8360.JPG

And these guys.
IMG_8373.JPG

Since we were fairly close and we had FastPasses, we deiced to ride BTMRR one more time before our lunch ADR at Tony's.
IMG_8381.JPG

You can just see Evan between Bambi and Me, and Madison and Grandma behind us, so this counts as a family portrait!
101_1151.jpg

After BTMRR, it was time to head over to Tony's. However, we knew the kids would want to ride Peter Pan later and the wait would be 70 minutes or more. I sent the family on their way, while I buzzed over to Fantasyland for FastPasses. By the time I met up with them at Tony's it was just about time to be seated.

That's when Evan debuted his bad a** side, with Grandma's Glasses, his Frog Crown, and all the knives at the table. Would you mess with him? I don't think so.
"Give me a milk. Chocolate. And make it a double."
IMG_8386.JPG

Lunch was good. I had a "Bianca Flatbread" which was described as "Our house blend of five cheeses, garlic, basil, and oregano". Ummm... why don' you just call it a cheese pizza? Anyway, it was good.

But lunch was magical in another way. Grandpa got strawberries spilled on him. I know, right! How awesome is that! Let me explain...

A waiter was walking by. Either he stumbled or something else happened, and several of the chocolate covered strawberries fell off of his tray and hit Grandpa in the back of the shirt. There was no stain, not even wet. Grandpa didn't make a big deal out it. You know, no harm, no foul. The waiter was apologizing up a storm, even as we were telling him to forget it, accidents happen. A few minutes later he came back with a "No Strings Attached Pass". It was a little slip of paper with a picture of Pinocchio on it. I forgot to get a picture, but it said something to the affect of "we want your stay with us to be magical and we're sorry that something happened that wasn't magical. We want to make it up to you, so use this pass to get to the front of the line at any attraction, no strings attached."

Talk about a golden ticket! (Technically it was yellow, or maybe goldenrod, but whatever, that's not important now.)

So what did we use it on? How much time did it save us? Was it as awesome as advertised? I'M NOT TELLING!

At least right now. I'll tell you in my next update.

I'm impressed you could take pictures while looking backwards on the ride, though. That's impressive hand-eye coordination, and probably hard to do with a stomach full of cheese balls.

I'd like to take some sort of photographic credit for this, but I really just aimed the camera over my shoulder and hit the button. There were some shots that I didn't even get the ride train in the frame at all. :rolleyes1

Ok, so I'm going to have to say that you did have some inspiration for this (even if only subliminally and even if you don't give credit where credit is due)...since you saw a shot similar to yours in my TR from January when my Annie got on to BTMRR for the first time ever and I got her picture mid-ride as well the same way - point and shoot over my shoulders. I'm not offended by the lack of a shout out here, I'm just sayin'.... :rotfl: Seriously - great shot!

We got there around 9:45 and find Grandpa already first in line. Well, it's not really a line per say, just him standing there all by himself.

So after a few more minutes, the PhotoPass guy comes out and we have a little chat. By now it's about 5 minutes after 10 and the line is probably 15-20 families long. It pays to plan ahead, kids!

Well a line has to start somewhere doesn't it? Of course! Way to go grandpa!

Tiana and Naveen come out behind us and circle around a large landscape area. Madison was a bit short, so I don't think she saw them until they came around the corner, at which time:
IMG_8296.JPG

IMG_8302.JPG

Madison, Tiana and Naveen had quite a little talk going. Eventually, they let us interrupt for a family picture. Evan doesn't quite have Madison's outgoing bubbliness, and was feeling a bit shy this morning.
IMG_8311.JPG

Hey Barry, was your back or your backside hurting that morning? Perhaps from a lousy sleeper sofa? Or were you just bending down for the fun of it?
Did you think the PhotoPass dude wouldn't get you in the shot and cut off your head or something?

Since we were there anyway, and Pirates of the Caribbean has a posted 5 minute way, and since Madison had all sorts of new found courage, we rode. Evan had done this in October, but this was Madison's first ride. She was a bit frightened. Not of the characters so much, but just of the unknown - as in "what's around the next turn". After the ride was over, she never showed that she was scared at all.

:thumbsup2 Yay Madison!

"it's too scary for Mommy and Daddy, so we'll take you on this ride."

:rotfl::rotfl:

That's when Evan debuted his bad a** side, with Grandma's Glasses, his Frog Crown, and all the knives at the table. Would you mess with him? I don't think so.
"Give me a milk. Chocolate. And make it a double."
IMG_8386.JPG

:) He looks very cool.

Lunch was good. I had a "Bianca Flatbread" which was described as "Our house blend of five cheeses, garlic, basil, and oregano". Ummm... why don' you just call it a cheese pizza/

Ummm, it's Disney - and it has to have some sort of special name to it... come on Barry, you should know that by now!

A few minutes later he came back with a "No Strings Attached Pass". It was a little slip of paper with a picture of Pinocchio on it. I forgot to get a picture, but it said something to the affect of "we want your stay with us to be magical and we're sorry that something happened that wasn't magical. We want to make it up to you, so use this pass to get to the front of the line at any attraction, no strings attached."

Talk about a golden ticket! (Technically it was yellow, or maybe goldenrod, but whatever, that's not important now.)

So what did we use it on? How much time did it save us? Was it as awesome as advertised? I'M NOT TELLING!

At least right now. I'll tell you in my next update.

Very nice update. Can't wait to hear about your Golden Ticket. Too bad there wasn't a tour of a chocolate factory included with it...

Willy Wonka: Do you like my meadow? Try some of my grass! Please have a blade, please do, it's so delectable and so darn good looking!

Charlie Bucket: You can eat the grass?

Willy Wonka: Of course you can! Everything in this room is eatable, even *I'm* eatable! But that is called "cannibalism," my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter