• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cheerleading competition December 2013

mm126

Mouseketeer
So we booked our trip and find out cheerleading competition will still be taking place during 2 of our 4 days. Any tips on how to make the best of what I have heard is a very busy time. We are staying at POR - I believe the teams stay at the Pop resorts.

Pop Warner is Dec 6-14. Is that the one you are referring to? Pop Warner are town's football and cheerleading teams.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/cheer/cheer-pop-warner/

Pop Warner is the competition that I read on the boards about having a bad reputation. Please don't associate this behavior with All-Star Cheeleaders, which is a higher-level style/sport of cheering.

I have no tips since you are already staying at a different hotel. There really isn't anything else you can do to prepare for particular crowds in the park.

We have been to WDW several times during that Pop Warner/Cheerleading week (but stayed at deluxe resorts). The groups themselves do not have a big impact on park crowds; generally speaking, this is one of the least crowded times of the year.

The football kids have had, in our experience, absolutely no impact on our visits.

The cheerleaders, however, can be extremely annoying as they like to travel in packs and scream cheers at the top of their lungs (while walking through parks, while waiting in attraction lines, while riding attractions). Their organization/chaperones would go a long way toward improving their reputation (and teaching them basic manners) but instructing them NOT to do this. I appreciate that there are there to compete and to have fun in the parks, but the cheering and the park touring are two different things.

Still, with that said, they don't prevent us from wanting to travel at that time of year.

They stay at the moderates too. Apparently their main moderate this year is CBR, but you could get overflow at POR.

We stayed in a deluxe when they were there and didn't see any of them at our resort. We didn't really see them around the parks but a few times and there seemed to be no issues with the group being there and lines.

We stayed in a deluxe when they were there and didn't see any of them at our resort. We didn't really see them around the parks but a few times and there seemed to be no issues with the group being there and lines.

If they stay at deluxe, usually it is a family who has the resources to upgrade or has been to Disney before and chooses to do so.

There is usually one moderate and one value with an overflow. The year, if you check CBR, they have limited availablity, while POR has availability in every category.

We had a very small group of them at the BC during one of our trips. They were with their moms and perfectly behaved. But we usually see them only in the parks. They usually don't bother us except for the one time a group sat behind us and talked and laughed loudly through the first half of the Pirates ride. You mostly see them in the evenings at MK.

I have been to the parks when there are Dance National competitions going on and other than being annoying at the hotel with so many "extra" kids running around we haven't found it to be any busier at any of the parks. Most of the time they are too busy with practice and competing. We really only saw them late at night and in the MK and EC.

We were there last February when the cheerleaders were there and they were extremely annoying, sorry to say. If I had to hear them whine one more time about how they got up so early and it wasn't fair that they had to waste so much time in lines. I would get in the parks at the earliest time you can, it wasn't too bad until around lunch time. Also I would not eat quick service at the normal meal times as they are the most crowded. Good luck and hopefully there are less of them in December!

If they stay at deluxe, usually it is a family who has the resources to upgrade or has been to Disney before and chooses to do so.

There is usually one moderate and one value with an overflow. The year, if you check CBR, they have limited availablity, while POR has availability in every category.

I think the competitors have to stay in the team hotel.

DebbieB said:
I think the competitors have to stay in the team hotel.

That is true, but I know one year I was at POR, people were keeping in touch with extended family staying in the deluxes. It was especially crowded that year from what CM's had to say.

The cheerleaders, however, can be extremely annoying as they like to travel in packs and scream cheers at the top of their lungs (while walking through parks, while waiting in attraction lines, while riding attractions). Their organization/chaperones would go a long way toward improving their reputation (and teaching them basic manners) but instructing them NOT to do this. I appreciate that there are there to compete and to have fun in the parks, but the cheering and the park touring are two different things.

Still, with that said, they don't prevent us from wanting to travel at that time of year.

Dh, I and our daughter had the misfortune of being at POR during one of the cheerleading competitions. Those kids cheered everywhere there was an inch of ground. They were all over the grassy areas of the mansion practicing. Cheering in the food court, the lobby, the store and of course the boats & the buses. It was absolutely miserable!! In the parks was bad to as they do travel in packs & don't care who they run over or through. No one said anything to them. Our only good thing was that they were staying in the mansion area & we were in AB. This was many years ago, but we go to Disney frequently and we try to avoid the hotels and parks when they are in attendance for anything. Pop Warner is the absolute worst time.

Dh, I and our daughter had the misfortune of being at POR during one of the cheerleading competitions. Those kids cheered everywhere there was an inch of ground. They were all over the grassy areas of the mansion practicing. Cheering in the food court, the lobby, the store and of course the boats & the buses. It was absolutely miserable!! In the parks was bad to as they do travel in packs & don't care who they run over or through. No one said anything to them. Our only good thing was that they were staying in the mansion area & we were in AB. This was many years ago, but we go to Disney frequently and we try to avoid the hotels and parks when they are in attendance for anything. Pop Warner is the absolute worst time.

I bet we were there the same year; I went a week later to accommodate friends. Never again; I am back to arriving the Saturday after Thanksgiving and then leaving the following Saturday when they take over the resort.

The boys were quite well behaved; it was the cheerleaders and the parents that were the worst.

I was there last year during the entire Pop Warner week. This was my first trip, so I can't comment on the crowd levels they may create, but I didn't see any cheerleaders or untoward behavior from any rabid packs of girls.

We stayed at the Poly, and I didn't see a single group of teenagers the whole week, at any of the parks or our resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter