• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cheerleaders and Disney: Your Thoughts

I am the DH that threw away their clothers/shoes.

My wife was being nice in her telling of the sports teams rudeness. They were loud, unsupervised and obnoxious. They were asked politley several times to be quite both in the afternoon and late at night by myself and other guests. All times it was greated with laughs and profanity. The time that put me over the edge was the night prior to me throwing their stuff away at 1 am as they were outside my families room laughing and being loud. I went out to talk to them and another guest was already out there yelling at them. The response he got was "F$#@ you old man" and then then ran into their rooms laughing. I called the front desk on them but still heard loud banging on the walls and laughing from the next room over.

The next morning I got up at 6 AM to get ready for early magic hours and noticed they had left their uniforms, cleats and towels just laying all around the front of the sidewalk in front of the 1st floor rooms. I picked all of them up and threw them in the trash. I had no problems doing it and frankly they deserved to be kicked out of the hotel. What they got was light and to this day it's one of my "special" memories of Disney. I think it's easy to say "I wouldn't ever do that" but imagine if someone was trying to ruin your families Disney vacation.

I certainly can see why you were beyond angry. I probably would have wanted to toss the stuff, but I wouldn't have done it. Now, if I was one of their parents and came back to that mess, then that's a different story. "You left your stuff scattered about and now it's gone? Too bad, so sad."

I guess I don't see how it's different than stealing. You know the stuff doesn't belong to you and yet you take it. Besides complaining to the front desk and maybe trying to find an adult in charge of this group, I'm not sure what I would have done. Murder perhaps, but not taking their stuff. Truthfully, I think I would have asked to be moved to a different area of the resort or to a different resort.

We were there last year with one day with them, and the only issue I had was with the parents being drunk and obnoxious on the bus. Also all the cheerleaders I saw in the parks were wearing pajamas, weird, but not offensive. We did have problems with the football players though. The kids seemed to believe that pushing the people in front of them would make the line go faster. Like I said, we only had them for one day, but I would definitely not go the whole week when we are there.

The crowds huge, kids were rude and obnoxious as were some parents. If only I had known.

We were there with the cheerleaders this year. Most of the girls appeared to be fairly well-behaved - they were very excited and anxious to do as much as possible. On the downside - I couldn't believe the actions of some of the chaperones - pushy, loud and rude. It was as it the parks were made only for their enjoyment and no one else's. Talk about entitlement mentality!

My wife was being nice in her telling of the sports teams rudeness. They were loud, unsupervised and obnoxious. They were asked politley several times to be quite both in the afternoon and late at night by myself and other guests. All times it was greated with laughs and profanity. The time that put me over the edge was the night prior to me throwing their stuff away at 1 am as they were outside my families room laughing and being loud. I went out to talk to them and another guest was already out there yelling at them. The response he got was "F$#@ you old man" and then then ran into their rooms laughing. I called the front desk on them but still heard loud banging on the walls and laughing from the next room over.

The next morning I got up at 6 AM to get ready for early magic hours and noticed they had left their uniforms, cleats and towels just laying all around the front of the sidewalk in front of the 1st floor rooms. I picked all of them up and threw them in the trash. I had no problems doing it and frankly they deserved to be kicked out of the hotel. What they got was light and to this day it's one of my "special" memories of Disney. I think it's easy to say "I wouldn't ever do that" but imagine if someone was trying to ruin your families Disney vacation.
No, I can honestly say I would NEVER do something like that, because no matter what children may be doing I am the adult in the situation and have a responsibility to conduct my self as such. Moving their clothing to a better location, say in front of thier door, I can see but throwing thier clothes away is inappropiate, and frankly no better than thier own behavior.

I don't agree. If you leave your clothes outside in the bushes it seems that you don't care if you have them or not. Thus they are garbage. I don't think that poster did anything wrong by tossing them into the trash.
The PP siad the clothing was on the walkway, not the bushes. I can see how the kids could have thought it was ok to leave them there to dry. It was inconsiderate, yes, and they should have been told so, but throwing thier clothes out was the PP's way of getting back at them. It was petty and childish.

biggest issue we had sat was them walking into us and then giving us dirty looks, missing me is like missing a wall :lmao:

Love Disney and love cheerleaders (adult ones of course)! Don't see a problem but reading some posts I can see it getting annoying. Big groups go loud poorly behaved kids? Nightmare!!!

Okay, all-star cheerleader here. First of all, the only time my team wore just sports bras was for a team run on hotel property near where our rooms were. (We wore our International Champions 2012 jackets in the parks ;) ) But what makes me wonder is why people give us weird looks when we were running by the pool, where there are tons of girls there in bikinis that cover less than the sports bra? Plus, it's Florida, I was still sweating.

Second, not all cheerleaders/cheerleading teams will start cheering and chanting in public. Some posts I was reading may have been there for the high school/rec team competition. All-star cheerleaders don't actually cheer in their routines, funnily enough. :rotfl: It's all done to music. High school and rec teams actually have 20 extra seconds cut out in their routine just for their cheer. Why you would do that in public, I don't know.

Third, it is completely up to the gym on how skimpy they want the uniforms, how much make-up they want us to wear, and just how obnoxious our hair has to be. It isn't our choice, although sometimes I actually like how I look. But, trust me, I have seen PLENTY of [non-cheerleader] girls wearing the skimpiest outfits ever and 3 hours worth of makeup.

And thank you to those few people who understand how much hard work it takes to get to this competition. It was literally our motivation/inspiration for the entire year and thankfully, my team's work paid off. :) National Champs woot woot!

And yes, I completely understand that some teams can be extremely rude and loud, just not all.

I wasn't there so I'm only speculating but the weird looks were likely because you were wearing underwear instead of clothing. It's like wearing pjs to a wedding, or a bathing suit to school. Certain articles of clothing are designed for certain occasions. And no matter how comfortable we all want to be we shouldn't let our choice of clothing make others uncomfortable. I'm not saying you were, but you did get some weird looks. It's just like a business man who wears a suit to his office. If he showed up in sweats and tees, he would get strange looks. However, if that was the dress code for the office he would blend right in. I realize some bathing suits could be skimpier, and perhaps the women at the pool in bikinis were getting weird looks too. However, they were dressing in swim attire for the pool. You were wearing underwear outside for a run, not on a track, but past a pool, where you would be subject to the stares or comments you may not have heard.

I wasn't there so I'm only speculating but the weird looks were likely because you were wearing underwear instead of clothing. It's like wearing pjs to a wedding, or a bathing suit to school. Certain articles of clothing are designed for certain occasions. And no matter how comfortable we all want to be we shouldn't let our choice of clothing make others uncomfortable. I'm not saying you were, but you did get some weird looks. It's just like a business man who wears a suit to his office. If he showed up in sweats and tees, he would get strange looks. However, if that was the dress code for the office he would blend right in. I realize some bathing suits could be skimpier, and perhaps the women at the pool in bikinis were getting weird looks too. However, they were dressing in swim attire for the pool. You were wearing underwear outside for a run, not on a track, but past a pool, where you would be subject to the stares or comments you may not have heard.
I guess its different ways of looking at things becuase in the south, where the temps hit 120 with the heat index it is common to see women run down the street in a sports bra and shorts. Very common, as in a daily occurance. The sports bras most pople use for this purpose and not designed as underwear at all. It wouldn't even be on my radar to give someone running in a sports bra in the florida heat a funny look, becuase it is the typical attire for such an activity, at least where I live. If you don't want a heat stroke, that is.

I know my view and many other CM's view on them being here, but as a guest what goes through your mind when you see so many 8-16 year old girls running through the parks in sports bras?

Holy wow, in my mind I could hear you breathing hard when you wrote this.

No, I can honestly say I would NEVER do something like that, because no matter what children may be doing I am the adult in the situation and have a responsibility to conduct my self as such. Moving their clothing to a better location, say in front of thier door, I can see but throwing thier clothes away is inappropiate, and frankly no better than thier own behavior.

And how would you know what clothes belonged to which room?:confused3

I know my view and many other CM's view on them being here, but as a guest what goes through your mind when you see so many 8-16 year old girls running through the parks in sports bras?

I don't really care about what they are WEARING, but when they completely shut down Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular for the weekend because they've rented it out for a competition... that is NOT cool.... ( Can't they do that at Wide World of Sports or something?! )

Good on you! I would have 100% done the very same thing.

First up - If these kids had any form of respect or genuine love of their "sport" they would be taking care of their uniforms. NOT leaving them out on a public walkway. Yes their kit may have been wet, but if you take pride in what you wear and the uniform you wear you would NEVER leave it out over night just scattered on a walkway.

I'm a trained dancer (ballet and jazz for over 20 years) and at all the locations I've danced at, we have had the fear of God put into us about behaviour and good conduct. If ANY reports of bad behaviour were received abuot any of us we were sent home straight away, and our parents invoiced for the travel cost at a later date. And yes, even if we travelled overseas that happened.

So good on you, its exactly what these selfish brats deserve.

Please dont get mad, I'm responding to the commentors personal experience. I am NOT saying that every cheerleader at WDW is a pain in the backside, I am very confident that there are groups that come and are a shining example of how to act as a group in public. Its just very sad that the horrible experiences of people with monsterous groups is plauging everyone else's view, but that is the way it goes. The bad apple spoils the crop.

I guess its different ways of looking at things becuase in the south, where the temps hit 120 with the heat index it is common to see women run down the street in a sports bra and shorts. Very common, as in a daily occurance. The sports bras most pople use for this purpose and not designed as underwear at all. It wouldn't even be on my radar to give someone running in a sports bra in the florida heat a funny look, becuase it is the typical attire for such an activity, at least where I live. If you don't want a heat stroke, that is.

It's the same up north in the summer. If it's really hot I will run in a sports bra and running shorts. There's nothng weird or innapropriate about it. It's not even close to being comaprable to wearing pajama's to a wedding. That made me chuckle. :laughing:

We were there in April a couple years ago and I was a little nervous when I saw all the cheerleaders waiting in line for the Magical Express but I wasn't in a resort where they were staying. We saw them in the parks but we weren't bothered by them at all.

We did see some really short shorts but I don't think that's exclusive to cheerleaders. Most teenage girls wear them.

I guess I don't see how it's different than stealing.

I might've collected it and hauled it to the desk to be put into the "lost and found box", myself. But it seems to me that if someone leaves their stuff scattered all over a public sidewalk where people can trip over it, there's some justification for other people assuming the original owners doesn't want it any more and tossing it in the trash if it's in their way. Leaving multiple items scattered on the ground in a public area is a little different from forgetting a purse on a bench or draping clothing over a bush to dry.

We learned not to stay in certain resorts during competition time. They don't bother me in the parks but I don't want to listen to screaming at all hours at my resort.

We just stayed away from HS when they were there last week. I don't really have an issue with them in the parks (b/c I try and steer clear of any large group)....my issue is at the hotels. We stayed at CS a few years back while they were there and it was really disappointing. I had an almost 3 year old who got woken up many times at night and while she was napping b/c large groups of them were practicing/fooling around/etc in the courtyard area below us. I mean I get it....I was a cheerleader (not competitive though) and I have the loud mouth and I'm very animated in general(even at 34 years old), BUT there comes a point....like 10pm-11pm where it's time to tone it down a bit when you are living in such close quarters with hundreds of others. Boys chasing girls around the place and them screeching.....yelling cheers in a fooling around way....etc. = not cute anymore!

My kids are loud too and we just got back from Disney....and they knew if they even started to yell in the room or outside the room (or off the balcony to others in our large group of 12) they were in BIG trouble.......no matter what time of day it was!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter