• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Checking Into Your Throwaway Room

NYEmomma

DIS Veteran
We're booked at Surfside for 3 nights with 2 park days for our family of 5 but also have one night booked at Portofino for the EPs. We'll be checking into SS on Wednesday, doing US on Thursday and IOA on Friday. I'll need to check into Portofino Thursday to get our EPs for Thursday & Friday. We haven't been to UO since the 90s so all of this is SUPER new for us.

Anyone have any tips? I have no idea how big the entire resort and park complex is... can we go to CityWalk and then one of us walk over to Portofino to check in while the other stays at CityWalk and get breakfast with the kids? Any other advice on the logistics of the throwaway room?

it would be quicker to take the boat from Citywalk to Portfino. When you check in they will give you room keys for everyone. The room key is your express pass.

Thank you! Where do you pick up the boat at? I'm not familiar at all with CityWalk or the resorts but I've been cruising around on Google Maps to familiarize myself, lol.

From the looks of it, there's not an exceptional amount of things at Universal Studios that we make us want to be there the minute it opens so the plan is to to US the day we check in & get our EPs and then IOA the second day so that we can be there first thing, taking advantage of the early entry for resort guests.

The only concern I've come up with so far with my plan is how busy check-in could potentially be at Portofino. Is the check-in process generally a quick one - especially early morning?

Thank you! Where do you pick up the boat at? I'm not familiar at all with CityWalk or the resorts but I've been cruising around on Google Maps to familiarize myself, lol.

Where the blue "circle" is. I'm not sure where Surfside is (it's been a while since I went to UO), but from wherever you enter CityWalk, head towards the water and you'll see the docks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 09-41-48 Universal CityWalk Orlando · 6000 Universal Blvd Orlando FL ...png
    Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 09-41-48 Universal CityWalk Orlando · 6000 Universal Blvd Orlando FL ...png
    797.8 KB · Views: 11

From the looks of it, there's not an exceptional amount of things at Universal Studios that we make us want to be there the minute it opens so the plan is to to US the day we check in & get our EPs and then IOA the second day so that we can be there first thing, taking advantage of the early entry for resort guests.

The only concern I've come up with so far with my plan is how busy check-in could potentially be at Portofino. Is the check-in process generally a quick one - especially early morning?

2 weeks ago the check-in line at Portofino was really long (around 9 am), I would guess it was 45 min or so, people were really grumpy. Do mobile check-in if you have that option- when you arrive, you get to go to the much shorter line on the left.

I have a terrible sense of direction and got very confused the first time I went through Citywalk- ask for directions if needed, it'll save time!

Any reason you chose Portifino over the Royal Pacific? Just curious. We are doing the same , in that staying at Cabana bay for a week and booked 1 night into RPR for the 2 days Express. It’s much cheaper than the Portifino.

Any reason you chose Portifino over the Royal Pacific? Just curious. We are doing the same , in that staying at Cabana bay for a week and booked 1 night into RPR for the 2 days Express. It’s much cheaper than the Portifino.
Not the OP, but sometimes the lowest cost garden view rooms at RPR get all booked up, and it can be cheaper to get one at PBR. Some dates I look at and there is nothing at all available at RPR.

Car question. When you pay for a car you pay just one night fee right? But then can go in and out of the lot? We're staying off property but got a room for front of the line. We're planning on taking a mid day break in the room but thought it would save us 1 day of parking fee if we told them we have a car (instead of paying 2 days worth for the garage).

Car question. When you pay for a car you pay just one night fee right? But then can go in and out of the lot? We're staying off property but got a room for front of the line. We're planning on taking a mid day break in the room but thought it would save us 1 day of parking fee if we told them we have a car (instead of paying 2 days worth for the garage).
Yes, a one night room will incur one night's worth of parking fees and you can use the parking both days. Why not spend the night in the room if you will be there anyway?

Yes, a one night room will incur one night's worth of parking fees and you can use the parking both days. Why not spend the night in the room if you will be there anyway?
because we have 6 people in our party for a room that sleeps 4 (5 of us will have front of the line, the 6th doesn't do rides).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter