• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

checking facebook in wdw

erin1998

Mouseketeer
Good evening everyone, :goodvibes

We leave in a few days for our vacation :woohoo: I would love to be able to check my email facebook every few days that we are down there. I don't own a laptop, so obviously won't be bringing one . ;) I have decided to leave my BlackBerry at home (I've heard it gets quite expensive). The only thing that we will have is my son's ipod touch which has wifi, but I understand there isn't wifi in Disney. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Can someone help me out on where I can access a computer or how I can make my son's ipod touch work for me? I don't mind paying for the internet.

Thanks very much
Erin

I don't want to sound judgemental or anything but isn't the point of going to Disney is to go to Disney? you are on vacation you shouldn't worry about emails or facebook while on vacation. If you really need to check facebook you should bring your blackberry that is what you got a blackberry isn't it? to check emails mostly it shouldn't cost you more to use it at Disney than when you use it at home so you can check you email and facebook everyday if you wanted to

I don't want to sound judgemental or anything but isn't the point of going to Disney is to go to Disney? you are on vacation you shouldn't worry about emails or facebook while on vacation. If you really need to check facebook you should bring your blackberry that is what you got a blackberry isn't it? to check emails mostly it shouldn't cost you more to use it at Disney than when you use it at home so you can check you email and facebook everyday if you wanted to

That is a valid point and I have every intention to spend 23 hours and 55 minutes a day enjoying Disney with my son. However, I do need to be able to check my email/facebook messages every few days. I would love to bring my BlackBerry, however I don't live in the United States and it is expensive to pay for roaming charges.
I was just wondering if there was any other way to check them on Disney property!
Erin

I am with the OP. We go to WDW to enjoy each other and our surroundings....we have internet in our villa, as we are DVC Members, but we use it for banking and sharing photos...other than that, we have NO use for internet/email/facebook or anything else while there. After all, OUR main objective is to be with each other and escape the outside world.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation....if you can.

I always bring my laptop! And i can check email and fb from my phone also. I do go to WDW to enjoy WDW I only go online when I am bored while my son naps and after he goes to bed. I dont waste the whole day online, but i do need some online access as i own a business and i need to keep somewhat in touch. I only do it when I am sitting in the room while my son sleeps and have nothing much to do anyhow.

no offence but enjoy your vacation!! don't worry about facebook. it will be there when you return.. even the teenagers on our last vacation didn't go to facebook on our last vacation and we are DVC members so we get internet.

Good evening everyone, :goodvibes

We leave in a few days for our vacation :woohoo: I would love to be able to check my email facebook every few days that we are down there. I don't own a laptop, so obviously won't be bringing one . ;) I have decided to leave my BlackBerry at home (I've heard it gets quite expensive). The only thing that we will have is my son's ipod touch which has wifi, but I understand there isn't wifi in Disney. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Can someone help me out on where I can access a computer or how I can make my son's ipod touch work for me? I don't mind paying for the internet.

Thanks very much
Erin

They have computers in some of the business centers that you can use, but they cost about $10 for about 15 minutes.

Hi Erin, I see you are from Canada. I brought my Blackberry to Disney last year and the roaming charges were not very much. i am on Rogers wireless. Check with your service provider what your roaming charges are. Some companies even send you a message when you get over certain amounts...like $10 or more.

I used my blackberry to find out about ride wait times in May. It saved us walking over and finding out the wait was 2 hours. It was called lines. It was the best thing I did. I found out about it on this site. If your roaming charges aren't to expensive I would think about getting it.

They have computers in some of the business centers that you can use, but they cost about $10 for about 15 minutes.

I was going to suggest the same thing. DH or I used them a couple of times before we got a laptop. I think some of the resorts have wi-fi in public areas like the lobby or pool - maybe ask at the resort when you check in.

Have a great trip!

Hi Erin, I see you are from Canada. I brought my Blackberry to Disney last year and the roaming charges were not very much. i am on Rogers wireless. Check with your service provider what your roaming charges are. Some companies even send you a message when you get over certain amounts...like $10 or more.

Definitely call your service provider. I do the cell phones for my company and whenever we have a sales person go out of the US, I just simply call the provider (AT&T) and tell them to put that specific phone on the international plan. It's something like $5.95 and then the person isn't on roaming. Once the sales person is back in the US, I call and cancel the plan. We don't have our sales people could outside the country very often (yet) so it's saved us a ton of money on roaming charges.

Definitely call your service provider. I do the cell phones for my company and whenever we have a sales person go out of the US, I just simply call the provider (AT&T) and tell them to put that specific phone on the international plan. It's something like $5.95 and then the person isn't on roaming. Once the sales person is back in the US, I call and cancel the plan. We don't have our sales people could outside the country very often (yet) so it's saved us a ton of money on roaming charges.

Thank you very much. Maybe you could help me out with this then too (I am not BlackBerry-savy ;)) I called my service provide and asked them about their roaming charges down there. I have their Social Networking plan for my BlackBerry and would only really use the phone to check my facebook page/messages if I did bring it with me. (I won't be using it for phone calls)

They informed me that they charge $3 per MB when in the United States. I just checked my account and looked at my data usage for the last week. I used 12952 KB which I think equals about 12.7MB...is that correct? :confused3

If that is the case, then if I checked my Facebook as often as I do at home/work (which I absolutely wouldn't) then I would only pay about $38??That doesn't seem right! I always hear of people being charged thousands of dollars when they travel with their phone. Would there be other charges that they aren't telling me about (not for phone calls or texting) but for roaming charges.

Thanks again,
Erin

I'm with both sides here. Of course if you have to check email/Facebook for work reasons, then by all means check it. However, don't revolve your entire vacation around it! I'm going in 9 days, I'm 18 with an iPhone so I don't even have to worry about getting internet- If I have a cell signal, then I can get online. BUT I don't plan on checking my accounts at all (unless I'm stuck in some really boring line for a ride haha).

I really don't think the OP planned on spending all of her time on FB or checking emails. I'm not sure how it would work out but call back and ask what your estimated roaming charges would be. Has your son figured out how to connect to the internet with his iPad? My son can figure that stuff out much faster than me!

Call your cell provider. When my parents cruised up into Canada, it was something like $3 to put that line on to a full North America plan. Plus, with the way airport delays can be, I'll never travel without my blackberry. I figure what it would cost to call from a pay phone if there were problems--the roaming is pennies in comparison.

And that seems like an extremely high roaming charge for data. It might make sense just to pay the few dollars and hop on at the business center every few days.

I don't think it is anybody's business how much time the OP spends on their Facebook page while on vacation. IT"S THEIR VACATION. They can spend it however they like. I don't recall them asking anyone for their opinion on their Facebook time. The rudeness of some of these repiles kind of shocks me. :scared1: Geez. Judge much? :snooty:

The OP would like to know how to access WIFI while on their Disney trip. If you can't help with that, don't respond.

I wish I could help. I plan to bring my laptop and paying for internet so I can share all my vacation tales and pictures via Facebook while on vacation myself. I might break out in hives if I had to go 8 days without checking on my peeps via Facebook. Good luck. I hope someone can help you. :goodvibes

I don't think it is anybody's business how much time the OP spends on their Facebook page while on vacation. IT"S THEIR VACATION. They can spend it however they like. I don't recall them asking anyone for their opinion on their Facebook time. The rudeness of some of these repiles kind of shocks me. :scared1: Geez. Judge much? :snooty:

The OP would like to know how to access WIFI while on their Disney trip. If you can't help with that, don't respond.

I wish I could help. I plan to bring my laptop and paying for internet so I can share all my vacation tales and pictures via Facebook while on vacation myself. I might break out in hives if I had to go 8 days without checking on my peeps via Facebook. Good luck. I hope someone can help you. :goodvibes

Thank you very much for your reply and to the others that helped to answered my question! :goodvibes Again, I only want to check out my facebook every few days to keep up with what's happening at home and to share what we've been up to!

It seems that I should get a laptop before our next holiday as that would probably be the easiest way! :thumbsup2 Does anyone know which resorts offer computers to use (for a fee of course)?

Erin

Thank you very much for your reply and to the others that helped to answered my question! :goodvibes Again, I only want to check out my facebook every few days to keep up with what's happening at home and to share what we've been up to!

It seems that I should get a laptop before our next holiday as that would probably be the easiest way! :thumbsup2 Does anyone know which resorts offer computers to use (for a fee of course)?

Erin

The ones with a business center - BW, YC, CR, CSR to name a few.

I know you can pay $10 per day I believe it is for internet access. We had to do this once when we stayed at All Star Movies for DH work. I believe all resorts have the modem wires in the rooms if I am not mistaken.

I do second the thought of calling your phone provider to see what they offer.

I'm so glad you pointed that out. I was reading through the posts and was again astonished at how judgemental and insensitive some people on this board can be. If the op wants to check her fb account, more power to her. I'm so glad that there were people who could help and answer the question and leave it at that. Op, I think you got some helpful replies that might help solve your dilema. I hope it all works out for you! Enjoy your trip!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter