• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Check menus, do math, etc. BEFORE buying the Dining Plan!

RussellDisney

Contemporary tastes on an All Star budget!
We are going over spring break, family of 4 with 2 under 10. We are currently all set with the QSDP, but after reviewing the menus in my pre-trip planning and also actually doing the math, we are cancelling the plan for our stay.

DD7 and DS5 must select from the child's menu when available, which it is quite often. After reviewing the menus at ASMu foodcourt and the 3 parks we will be visiting, I've concluded that they will not eat most of what they must choose from. So while each kid eating 2 meals, 2 snacks and unlimited resort mug refills for $8.99 per night sounds like a real deal, it won't be for us. We would easily spend an extra $12 per day for the two of them to eat, plus we would waste much of the DP food. In addition, my kids prefer juice and water over soda and (if I'm understanding this correctly) juice refills are not included with the resort mug.

So before you automatically assume the plan to be a great deal, check menus, do math, etc. It may not be.

Also, I'm not bustin' on Disney for the way the plan is set up. I think it could certainly be a real money-saver for some, just not for us. I'm cool with however Disney decides to price any part of their experience, as long as folks understand what they are buying.

It is definitely worth calculating by checking menus on here. For us our adrs are at LeCellier, Chefs de France, Chef Mickey's and more of the higher priced places so it makes the plan a great deal for us. Last year we had the ddp, saved all receipts and after calculating we saved $316.49:scared1: :scared1:
The year before we ate at cheaper places just to save money so we would have lost money by getting the ddp. If you are even close, it is worth it just to eat a little something you wouldn't if you were paying oop, and not having to carry cash around (other than some tip money) is nice.

I cam not say this is a universal thing at the resorts but at CBR Apple Juice was offered as a drink.

Maybe someone else can give you some more information.

I cam not say this is a universal thing at the resorts but at CBR Apple Juice was offered as a drink.

Minute Maid apple juice was availble at Pop Century's soda fountain also.

OP - If the math doesn't support getting DDP, don't get it. If you have an AP, you might be better off buying a "Table in Wonderland" discount card to take 20% off most TS meals.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneydiningexperience.htm

We are still debating the QSDP. I'm not worried so much about "coming out ahead" as making sure we break even. We went and looked at the menus and it's going to be a very close call.

If we decide we will break even, I like the idea of most of our food being paid for in advance.

OP you are a better candidate for the Basic DP. For $2 more the kids can get a buffet and some more interesting entree choices. At buffets they can eat whatever they want. The Child DP costs less than the any buffet at WDW, so the snack and CS are essentially free. For $24 more per night your family can have a TS meal.

For me its harder to make the math of the QS plan really work. I think if you spend a lot of time at the resort/pool with mug in hand it would be really helpful. I think the real benefit of the plan is having meals paid for before arriving at WDW. No matter the plan that is a really nice touch for a vacation.

I do think its great that Disney has added a lower price DP option. If I were sending teens to WDW this is definitely the plan for them. Even college kids paying their own way could maximize this plan: plenty of food and snacks and no schedule.

Well I have been debating the DDP also. My son is 10 this year so we have to pay for an adult. He will most liking eat off the kids menu and I don't want to $39.99 a day for that. I've looked at the menus and think we are going w/out this year. Hopefully this works to our favor. I think if we went with the plan Disney would make at least $200 off us.

We use to love the basic DDP, but with the changes, we now just pay cash get a appetizer and entree... we drink water, always have. We now pay just about the same and eat what we want. We have never been desert eaters. It's just a waste for us. I will say, I miss the free mid day snack, but we bring our start of the day drink in with us. We might get a snack, if it gets hot, It just depends. I still eat where I want. I do enjoy setting down for dinner. I always check the menus before I make my final decision. If I am traveling with a crowd, that I am paying for, I do get the DDP, I just can't worry about what they are ordering.

we didn't buy DP last trip either

we don't bother with the CS desserts:scared: , usually bring our own source of water & pepsi/mt dew into the park (bottles)

i've taken a different approach as to overall cost vs eating what we really desire, sometimes u just want a turkey leg:confused3

while there r programs out there which tell u which restaurants give the most 'value' for $, not worth it if it's not what u want to eat.

Many times under old DP, i'd eat my 'adult' child's appetizer & dessert (he rarely cared for either & would get ice cream later OOP); def stretched the plan, miss it...brave new DP boo-hoo:upsidedow

OP you are a better candidate for the Basic DP. For $2 more the kids can get a buffet and some more interesting entree choices. At buffets they can eat whatever they want. The Child DP costs less than the any buffet at WDW, so the snack and CS are essentially free. For $24 more per night your family can have a TS meal.

For me its harder to make the math of the QS plan really work. I think if you spend a lot of time at the resort/pool with mug in hand it would be really helpful. I think the real benefit of the plan is having meals paid for before arriving at WDW. No matter the plan that is a really nice touch for a vacation.

I do think its great that Disney has added a lower price DP option. If I were sending teens to WDW this is definitely the plan for them. Even college kids paying their own way could maximize this plan: plenty of food and snacks and no schedule.

I understand what you are saying about the basic/regular plan, but we usually only eat 2, MAYBE 3, TS each trip. This spring we are actually only planning CM. We may try to do others on off-peak times, but it will be hit or miss as to those.

Thanks for the heads up but we are mostly doing the QSDP in March for convenience rather than value. I like having everything paid for in advance. But you give great advice to those who are looking at the dining plans as a money saver!

Thanks for the heads up but we are mostly doing the QSDP in March for convenience rather than value. I like having everything paid for in advance. But you give great advice to those who are looking at the dining plans as a money saver!

I completely understand you want the convenience. But here are a couple things to consider: if you are using the QSDP you are staying onsite, which means you can just as easily charge meals to your room - nothing extra to carry vs. the QSDP. Also, if you end up paying quite a bit more using the plan, is it really worth the supposed convenience? One final thing, WDW is getting your food money at least 45 days (usually more) prior to your trip, and you are paying for future meals (possibly paying finance charges) that far in advance too.

Again, not saying what you're doing is wrong, just making a few points. :)

OP I get that you are only doing 1 TS, but you are doing 2 meals a day on of which could be TS and give your kids the choice you think they need.

Have a great trip.

I agree with OP. We have done DDP for 3 yrs running, only because of the free DDP promo. Our DS8 prefers "adult" food in lieu of the kids menu. The kids menu is very redundant and his taste buds are more in tune with Teppan Edo, Spoodles, The Wave, not chicken nuggets, burgers, bland pizza, etc... Our DS3 barely eats enough to justify him being on the plan. Our family of 4 can easily eat of off 2 adult meals (and appetizer if really hungry). However, free DDP is free DDP.

Our next trip won't be dictated by free DDP if they offer it. We will go during the time of year that we prefer, week after Thankgsgiving and pay cash for food.

We also found that having to pay tip for our 2008 DDP was a bit pricier than it would have been if we paid cash for our meals. Reason being, the bill would have been smaller because we would have ordered less than what the DDP meal provides.

When DDP included appetizer and gratuity, it was a more convincing sell for us. Meals required no cash out of pocket and we got to try appetizers and deserts that we usually never order.

I think I've changed my mind on the plan. Can I cancel if I;ve already booked the dining plan for our June trip?

we don't bother with the CS desserts

I started asking for fruit instead of a dessert at CS (and had the better dessert at TS!).

I completely agree about doing the math. Pick your TS restauarants, and do the math. I've found with kids 3-9 eating of the kids' menu and buffets (a few, not all), it is worth it (so far). But I will do the math every time.

In my opinion, part of the "math" is how the plan works for your family. If your family doesn't like eating a TS meal/day or your kids don't like kids' menus, then it isn't worth it.

I think I've changed my mind on the plan. Can I cancel if I;ve already booked the dining plan for our June trip?

You should be able to if you booked with Disney call to ask. If you booked with a travel agent give them a call.

Just curious, why are you changing? If you are getting the Basic plan and eating about a TS meal a day it is usually a good budget move. Keep in mind your taxes are included in the DP fee, so that's a 6.5% savings there. Also since you are going in June check to see if any of the TS meals you've planned have premiums during your trip. The Dining Plan price does not increase for these periods, so that is another savings. Typically the Adult meals increase by about $4 during this period while child prices have increased $2.

"Recently, Walt Disney World began charging a premium on certain meals and dining experiences during peak seasons. Such seasonal pricing will be implemented at the following dining locations during peak seasons:

-- 1900 Park Fare
-- Akershus
-- Biergarten
-- Boma
-- Cape May Cafe
-- Chef Mickey's
-- Cinderella's Royal Table
-- Crystal Palace
-- Garden Grill
-- Hollywood and Vine
-- Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner only)
-- 'Ohana
-- Trails End
-- Tusker House

Upcoming peak times that will see the seasonal price increases are:
November 22 - November 29, 2008
December 16, 2008 - January 3, 2009
April 5 - April 18, 2009
May 24 - July 11, 2009"

I copied this from Allears.net

I've taken a gander at the menus prices through wdwinfo and I've decided that anything that I know that the check will be more $30-$35, I will use a T/S credit for, otherwise, I will just pay out of pocket. I'm going to save my T/S credits for the character dining and places like Le Cellier, Whispering Canyon, Teppan Edo & O'Hana.....

what do you guys do?? How do you know what to pay for OOP versus using a dining credit?

If I buy the DP my arms get really, really short at WDW in other words it will take a lot for me to pay OOP for anything, short arms can't reach my pockets. :lmao:

If you do Magic My Way Plus Dining you will have:

1TS, 1CS and 1Snack credit for each night in your reservation. So if you have a TS meal scheduled then use a credit there.

If you are at your resort food court having a meal or at a quick service location in a park use a CS credit for that meal.

Your snack credits are good for a lot a great things at the parks or resorts: beverages (cokes, bottled water, etc.), dessert or ice cream treats, popcorn, etc.

We doubled up on several things such as:
CS breakfast includes 2 drinks, we usually got one juice to share at breakfast and a bottled water to take to the park (thus not tempted to use a snack credit for water in the park). Use the snack credit for a snack. Also by sharing the meal we'd have another CS credit left share a lunch in the park if we wanted.

We booked one 2TS meal, so we paid OOP for one TS character breakfast, our cheapest TS meal of the trip. If I we could have lived w/o one of those meals we had enough CS credits left at the end (due to sharing) that we could have had a good CS meal instead of paying OOP. However, there was a valid reason to keep every TS meal so we paid OOP for one. We paid OOP for our 6yo $6 pasta meal at Narcoossee's. No way would we have spent 2TS credits for that small meal for him.

That was our experience, but I really believe if I pre pay for my meals/snacks I want to stay really close to that budget. If I really wanted an appetizer I'd pay for it and if I enjoyed alcohol and wanted a drink I'd pay for that too. We mix in several buffets so the appetizer choice is a non issue for some meals. You can use the DP and not pay OOP for anything and have plenty of good meals and stay pretty full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter