Check in Time

3PiratesAndAPrincess

Mouseketeer
What is the earliest check in time available? I am gold and the last 3 cruises I have only been able to get an 11am check in. Are 1030am check ins just for Concierge? I can hardly believe all 1030am spots have been filled 3 cruises in a row. Just curious how people are getting these 1030am check ins?

What is the earliest check in time available? I am gold and the last 3 cruises I have only been able to get an 11am check in. Are 1030am check ins just for Concierge? I can hardly believe all 1030am spots have been filled 3 cruises in a row. Just curious how people are getting these 1030am check ins?

The earliest Port Arrive Time is the 10:30-10:45 window. Many people pick that time, even if they know they are arriving a bit later, because it will get them a lower boarding number. So, if they arrive at, say, 11:30, they will still be in the first few numbers called for boarding when it starts.

It just depends on how many Platinum members are actually selecting PATs before you do as to whether an early window will be available. Concierge doesn't have to select PATs, they can come whenever they want and board whenever they want once boarding is started.

I think I remember someone posting once that the classic ships don't start PATs until later than the Dream class ships, but I may be mis-remembering. If true, have your cruises been on the classic ships that didn't have 10:30 times available?

The earliest Port Arrive Time is the 10:30-10:45 window. Many people pick that time, even if they know they are arriving a bit later, because it will get them a lower boarding number. So, if they arrive at, say, 11:30, they will still be in the first few numbers called for boarding when it starts.

It just depends on how many Platinum members are actually selecting PATs before you do as to whether an early window will be available. Concierge doesn't have to select PATs, they can come whenever they want and board whenever they want once boarding is started.

I think I remember someone posting once that the classic ships don't start PATs until later than the Dream class ships, but I may be mis-remembering. If true, have your cruises been on the classic ships that didn't have 10:30 times available?

The boarding order process is completely obtuse to me. Other than platinum and concierge getting first dibs (obviously) it seems somewhat random. Last trip (Fantasy) we chose 10:30 boarding, but because of long check-in lines we didn't check in until ~ 11:15. We got group 13. This last time (Dream), we selected the 11am boarding time (earliest available), got there by 10:30 and checked in by 11:00 almost on the dot. We got group 7.

:shrug:

The boarding order process is completely obtuse to me. Other than platinum and concierge getting first dibs (obviously) it seems somewhat random. Last trip (Fantasy) we chose 10:30 boarding, but because of long check-in lines we didn't check in until ~ 11:15. We got group 13. This last time (Dream), we selected the 11am boarding time (earliest available), got there by 10:30 and checked in by 11:00 almost on the dot. We got group 7.

:shrug:

This is how I understand it:

Firstly, it's not a boarding time that you select it's a Port Arrival Time. Your actual boarding number is tied to your PAT.

Now, as you know, there are 15 minute windows that you select for your PAT. Each window has X number of boarding numbers assigned to it. Just for the purpose of this discussion, let's say each PAT window has 5 boarding numbers assigned to it.

I've read two different explanations as to how the specific boarding number is issued within each window:
1) it's assigned based on when you completed your online check in.
2) it's assigned based on first come, first served within your boarding window.

When you arrive at the port, regardless of how it relates to your PAT, you will receive the same boarding number that you would receive if you arrive at your correct PAT. So, I take that to mean that #1 is the more likely procedure for assigning boarding numbers.

It's possible for 2 parties traveling together, with the same PAT, to have different boarding numbers.

Even with 10:30 terminal opening/PAT windows, actual boarding does not begin until 11:15-11:30 for most cruises. Concierge goes first (usually boarding number #1, but not announced as such). Then Platinum (#2). Then they start announcing boarding numbers roughly every 5-10 minutes, depending on how quickly the line is moving.

It's quite likely that a 10:30 PAT could result in a #7 boarding number one cruise and a #13 on a different cruise. That part (how many actual numbers are within each window) I don't know. Maybe it varies based on the sizes of the various parties selecting that PAT?

Which ship are you sailing? As PrincessShmoo stated, I believe PATs begin at 10:30 for the Dream and Fantasy, but not until 11:00am for the Magic and Wonder.

Concierge does not select a PAT, and I believe Platinum also does not need a PAT. That means Gold has the first shot at PATs. While PAT availability does vary by cruise, it would be odd for all early PATs to be gone during Gold online check-in at day 105 (unless you checked in at a later day). Possibly you cruised on the Magic and/or Wonder for your most recent cruises? I think the 10:30 PATs started about a year ago on the Dream and Fantasy, and as far as I recall there was no pre-announcement and the earlier times were simply released after some passengers had already done online check-in.

Enjoy your cruise!

Which ship are you sailing? As PrincessShmoo stated, I believe PATs begin at 10:30 for the Dream and Fantasy, but not until 11:00am for the Magic and Wonder. Concierge does not select a PAT, and I believe Platinum also does not need a PAT. That means Gold has the first shot at PATs. While PAT availability does vary by cruise, it would be odd for all early PATs to be gone during Gold online check-in at day 105 (unless you checked in at a later day). Possibly you cruised on the Magic and/or Wonder for your most recent cruises? I think the 10:30 PATs started about a year ago on the Dream and Fantasy, and as far as I recall there was no pre-announcement and the earlier times were simply released after some passengers had already done online check-in. Enjoy your cruise!
Ahh. Ok. This makes sense now as our last 3 cruises have been on the Magic

Really if you are getting bent out of shape about 30 or 45 mins at the beginning of your cruise you are going to be in for a looooong trip.

Gee... doesn't anybody just relax around here??? :confused3

What is it with all of the do this first do that first i have to do this before i do that if i dont get that i will be angry and not be able to do the other thing.... is this person or that captain or this cruise director or that movie or this princess or that show or this menu or that rotation????

Doesn't anybody around here just go on a cruise to CHILL???? :rolleyes2

PAT time is boarding time. You can still show up 20 minutes early for security clearance prior to your boarding time. Health check, Weapons search, carry-on search, body search, hand search, cavity search... you want to ensure there's enough time for the full meal deal.

PAT time is boarding time. You can still show up 20 minutes early for security clearance prior to your boarding time. Health check, Weapons search, carry-on search, body search, hand search, cavity search... you want to ensure there's enough time for the full meal deal.

PAT is not boarding time.

P - Port
A - Arrival
T - Time

Really if you are getting bent out of shape about 30 or 45 mins at the beginning of your cruise you are going to be in for a looooong trip. Gee... doesn't anybody just relax around here??? :confused3 What is it with all of the do this first do that first i have to do this before i do that if i dont get that i will be angry and not be able to do the other thing.... is this person or that captain or this cruise director or that movie or this princess or that show or this menu or that rotation???? Doesn't anybody around here just go on a cruise to CHILL???? :rolleyes2

Nobody was bent out of shape. Just a curious question.

You might want to take your own advice and relax/chill.

While this question/thread certainly is not about being bent out of shape, I've seen a great good number of "passionate" questions about minutiae that's irrelevant by any standard toward the enjoyment of a DCL cruise. So, I totally get where their claim for everyone to chill and enjoy.=)

Really if you are getting bent out of shape about 30 or 45 mins at the beginning of your cruise you are going to be in for a looooong trip. Gee... doesn't anybody just relax around here??? :confused3 What is it with all of the do this first do that first i have to do this before i do that if i dont get that i will be angry and not be able to do the other thing.... is this person or that captain or this cruise director or that movie or this princess or that show or this menu or that rotation???? Doesn't anybody around here just go on a cruise to CHILL???? :rolleyes2
Not that I need justification for my question, but my reason for asking was I am interested in possibly getting an upgrade at the port.

As Platinum we arrive whenever we want and always get 1 boarding group regardless. Sometimes we are there right at 11 am, sometimes later. But we usually have very little waiting time at the port.

Which ship are you sailing? As PrincessShmoo stated, I believe PATs begin at 10:30 for the Dream and Fantasy, but not until 11:00am for the Magic and Wonder.

Yep - this ^^ :) We just had 11:00 PAT (first one available) for the Wonder this week out of Miami. When you did your check in, you should have been able to see there were no other times before yours (if Magic/Wonder) and if other slots had been filled you can see them greyed out. I hope you get your upgrade :)

Enjoy!

Heather

When I cruised on the Dream this past Presidents' Week, I was on my first Silver Castaway Club cruise so could check in at 90 days. Got a PAT of 10:30, was on the first shuttle from MCO, and had boarding group 2 (Concierge was just Concierge, Platinum was group 1).

I'm on the Fantasy this coming Presidents' Week and could check in at 90 days. I have a PAT of 10:30 and plan to be on the first shuttle out of MCO...I'll report back as to what boarding group number I have this year! :)

I don't recall asking for your advice...

And i stand by my point that OP was at the very least agitated that they could not EVER get a 10:30 PAT.

(Coldflame - good point as well... )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter