Check In @ Bay Lake Tower

AArbittier

Earning My Ears
Our family of 6 are staying at BLT in January , 2014. My question is , are my chances of getting an upgrade better if requested in person rather than " ONLINE " 60 days out ? I mention Bay Lake Tower specifically.
Thanks for taking the time to give me your past experiences at BLT.:)
Aron:)

I called about 60 days out and made a room request and got exactly what I asked for. I do not think that is the NORM, though.

. . . are my chances of getting an upgrade better if requested in person rather than " ONLINE " 60 days out ? . . .

1) You can request location on-line or on-phone.
2) As far as upgrades, not very probable at a DVC.
3) In fact, after working at OKW-VWL-SSR, I can remember only a handful.
4) And, those were due to mechanical failures (like A/C not working).

Our family of 6 are staying at BLT in January , 2014. My question is , are my chances of getting an upgrade better if requested in person rather than " ONLINE " 60 days out ? I mention Bay Lake Tower specifically.
Thanks for taking the time to give me your past experiences at BLT.:)
Aron:)

If you are booked on points you cannot ask for and get an upgrade without the account you are taking the points from being charged for the upgrade. BLT is booked to almost 100% occupancy most all year so the only way they can upgrade you normally is to downgrade someone else- how would you feel if someone did that to you?

If you are booked on cash there is a little more wiggle room but the occupancy part still holds completely true.

If you are renting points expect the owner of those points to get very upset with you- personally if I saw a change in my points while a renter was staying due to an upgrade I would be really upset and be calling them throughout there vacation until I had my money from them and it would be at a higher rate than I originally rented it to them(actually I would probably drive up there to get itas I only live 1.5 hours away).

Posts like this reinforce why I don't rent my points. Would be really bad to be the owner of these points when your renter "requests" a free upgrade at your expense.

cvjw,
I am not a DIS Veteran so please explain why a renter who is given a "free" upgrade causes an additional expense for the owner.Thank you.

Yeah an upgrade using DVC points isn't going to happen. The only way to get an "upgrade" is to use the right amount of points for the room you actually want.

Posts like this reinforce why I don't rent my points. Would be really bad to be the owner of these points when your renter "requests" a free upgrade at your expense.

I must have misread the question. No where did I see where the person mentioned renting DVC points. Just because you stay at BLT doesn't mean you are renting points. Some people do still pay cash to stay on property. I totally understand the concern with abuse of points by renters but I think it was an innocent question. But... good point taken by OP who stated"how would you feel if you lost out because of someone's upgrade." Upgrades at such an expensive resort ? I would think any room would be great! Just hope you enjoy your trip no matter where you stay. Best wishes!:dance3:

cvjw,
I am not a DIS Veteran so please explain why a renter who is given a "free" upgrade causes an additional expense for the owner.Thank you.

Because they don't give free upgrades on DVC points. Read TheRustyScupper's response.

If you ask for an upgrade (like a better view category), the needed points to upgrade to that category will be charged to the points owner, whether you or another person. If the owner has the points available (perhaps that they plan to use for their own vacation), the front desk will take those points, leaving the owner missing lots of points. And they can't take their vacation unless you pay them for the extra points you used.

Now, if you booked it for cash directly from Disney Reservation Center, you might get an upgrade, if any was available. But DVC resorts are normally 95-100% booked, so upgrades are infrequent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter