Check-in at BLT...view isues

Unfortunately, it is a problem at any resort with "guaranteed view" categories. Personally, I wish all the rooms at a resort were the same number of points, unless the rooms were actually different, like the smaller value rooms at AKV Jambo.

Views would be a non-guaranteed request, and everyone would be equal, whether they are Cash or DVC guests, first arrivals get their choice of view or a "ready room" if available. That way no complaints of "my guaranteed view room could barely see the Savannah, ocean, MK, boardwalk...whatever."

I disagree. When I book a room, I want to know what I'm getting. If BWV would have not make the boardwalk view guaranteed, I probably would have sold it when my mom passed away (we traveled together). That boardwalk view is what gets me back, I make the reservation at 11 months to make sure I get it. I would be very upset to be paying the highest dues at WDW, make a reservation at 11 months and end up facing the driveway.

I also would not want to stay at AKV without the savannah view.

I think the problem with BLT is they need to publish the room descriptions. If they would publish that Magic Kingdom view starts at the 3rd floor, then it would define the expectations when you make a reservation.

I want to reiterate that I have no problem with requesting a different room if available. There is an element of first come-first serve to the system, which I am fine with, so if a better room within your category is available, I have no problem requesting the change. Of course, this is so long as they don't disregard room requests which should be first honored on a time-made basis In other words, they shouldn't bump a person out of their recorded room request just because somebody gets there earlier, who didn't have the foresight of a request, just because they think they deserve a better room.

If you have planned well, made your reservation and request early, and checked in as early as possible, you deserve the better room. If its a last minute trip, didn't make a request, and check in late in the day, and then throw a fit because you think you we entitled to a better room, tough doo-doo (and I really want to use the real expletive).

As for BLT, I think they need to make everything on the outer front and some outer north wing MK view. Basically, if you can see the fireworks and any part of MK from inside your room at the door of your balcony (e.g., SM, part of the castle, astro orbiter, etc.), its MK view. From there its all about making your reservations and requests early, first come first served. All have MK views, just some better than others. People may not like it, but otherwise there is always going to be argument about where the floor line that divides the views should be. Standard views should be only lower levels of the inside crescent and some of the outside crescent where you can't see water or a part of the MK from inside the room (if you can see from the balcony, then you get a bonus).

I disagree. When I book a room, I want to know what I'm getting. If BWV would have not make the boardwalk view guaranteed, I probably would have sold it when my mom passed away (we traveled together). That boardwalk view is what gets me back, I make the reservation at 11 months to make sure I get it. I would be very upset to be paying the highest dues at WDW, make a reservation at 11 months and end up facing the driveway.

I think the problem with BLT is they need to publish the room descriptions. If they would publish that Magic Kingdom view starts at the 3rd floor, then it would define the expectations when you make a reservation.
Exactly. :thumbsup2

That boardwalk view is what gets me back, I make the reservation at 11 months to make sure I get it.

If they would publish that Magic Kingdom view starts at the 3rd floor, then it would define the expectations when you make a reservation.

ie: VB, OVIR - I didn't expect that my view of the ocean would be to the far right as I jump up and heave myself forward on the balcony. It was 95 degrees out there and all I did was dry bathing suits on the chairs, but in cooler weather where I would have enjoyed the balcony, I would have immediately requested another room or perhaps a refund in the extra points.

Just as Debbie stated, I don't stay at AKV unless I can get the savanna, and at BLT if I request MK view and use the extra points, I hope to get the best room available when I check in. I don't believe in getting ugly w/ anyone for any reason, even while frustrated, civility is still necesarry! I think the offer of 6th floor should have been more than adequate compensation.

I'd bet MS can't arbitrarily change the MK view from X floor to Y floor and above. Points were established at that resort based on the total number of points available. If you suddenly change an entire floor to a lesser category - from MK view to standard view - multiple points have been lost and cannot be sold. I'm sure they know which rooms are MK view (and notice, it's not Cinderella Castle view, it's MK view which could be Space Mt or the bus stop or anything in MK) and which are not. It would be nice as a member to know that all rooms facing the MK and parking lot above X floor are considered MK view and all those X floor and lower are considered standard view.

And I'm sure DVC's idea of a MK view room is a whole lot different from many of us member's idea of a MK view room. That's why the concept of "views" leads so many members to dissatisfaction. If I knew I was getting a villa and that was all, it would be easier to accept the Bldg 29 (or is it Bldg 27) at OKW because I didn't request a Trumbo Canal view or HH area.

Haven't any of you reserved an ocean view at a hotel only to find you can see the ocean if you get out on the patio/balcony and stand at the very corner and lean to the left? I know we got a water view room at POFQ once (my husband insisted) and we had to leave the room and get out on the walkway to see the water. I told him we should have saved the $25 a night extra for that water view.

You make a good point...but the entire view situation could be easily avoided by not building it into the points chart for a premium number of points.
Right. And Disney could have done that, and decided not to. Why? Because charging much higher points for a preferred view allowed them to sell many more points for the same capital outlay...thereby increasing their profit.

It is what it is, and they should abide by their own rules. If they are charging owners high points for something, they should deliver -- not cave in and put a cash guest there to shut them up.

Note: the following is intended soley as humorous opinion. I fully respect and support others' different priorities and likes/wants.

For me, the worst thing about the OPs experience was the fact that $600 per night was spent! We spend all of a mere two or three hours a day awake in the room. The amount of the time spent looking out the window is measured in minutes. A fun or unique view is nice, but wowza, I'd rather spend the night in a nice $179 room and have freaking $400 extra bucks PER DAY to spend, or better yet put back in the bank. ;) :thumbsup2

True... but I actually planned my BLT trip schedule according to the firework schedule. :) I specifically booked restaurants at Contemp. on the nights of the fireworks just so I can head back to my room after dinner and enjoy my fireworks without having to fight for a viewing spot at MK. My little DS is afraid of the fireworks and this would be perfect for him to actually watch and enjoy the fireworks without being afraid of the loud sounds.
Why do people buy 4x4 SUV when we only use it like maybe couple times a year. It's not how much you use it, it's knowing that you have it and be able to use it whenever you want to. I know i won't be watching the fireworks from my MK view room every night, but i want to at least be able to watch it when I feel like it. And that comes with a price....
If we have the choice, i would just book the nights that i'm going to MK only and the nights that i want fireworks. :upsidedow

This situation is only going to get worse. DVC has been marketing BLT with these dazzling MK views. Go into the models at Saratoga and they have a backdrop outside the window showing a "dazzing" MK view, most likely from a very high floor. Unfortunatly, rooms designated with a MK view are not just on high floors. Expectations have been set, and when DVC members are paying a substancial preminum for a MK view they are expecting a view worthy of those additional points.

Personally, I think the MK views have been oversold. This forum is loaded with photos taken from rooms with MK views that are really "parking lot views with the castle behind". In many instances the additional points spent on the preminum view would have allowed the member a longer stay or a larger accomodation. Their though is "lets spend the additional points and have a really MAGICAL view!"...and then the lower floor room is assigned.

Sadly, this will become an issue of the squeaky wheel getting the grease. If you are willing to make an issue at the front desk, chances are you will have your situation improved. Of course, these rooms do not come out of thin air, and someone else who has also paid the preminum points will have to settle for the lesser view. I can guarantee there are many DVC members who just do not have it in their DNA to confront the front desk and make a scene...and this won't be a points vs. cash problem--at busy times of the year the place will be loaded with DVC memebers staying on points. Who gets what then?

This becomes alot of hassle and additional stress to have to deal with when you are on vacation.

Also let me share my recent experience at AKV. We recently stayed at Jambo House Savanah View Studio, and our first room had a view of a smallish corner of the Sunset Savanah. I usually don't make a fuss at all unless there is a serious problem, and we did make this reservation on the late side, but I called down and nicely asked if there was anything available further down the hall along the Sunset Savanah, quickly noting that if there wasn't, that was fine. They called me back a few minutes later and said there was another room available that we could move to. The new room did have a better view. We moved in, unpacked, and started dinner, feeling maybe a little guilty that the next person to check in might get a somewhat inferior room. But we were there first, and I assumed we weren't treading on anyone's requests.

Head of housekeeping soon knocked on the door and asked if everything was alright with our room. We thought "what personal service, I'm liking AKV"! We said yes, but asked why the coffee maker was still in the box. She looked confused and said "to keep it Kosher".

Turns out they did move us into a room that was available, but apparently the CM at the front desk disregarded or didn't realize what the room request meant, and gave us someone else's requested Kosher room. We were mortified. We offered to move back, but we had already unpacked and seriously "un-Koshered" the room, and housekeeping said it would take just as much effort to re-do this room as it would be a new room, adding it was not our fault, but the CM's for moving us.

DVC really needs to stick to their guns about their rules and policies. Maybe the CM just thought Kosher meant they had special dietary restrictions, but they were awfully quick to disregard a request at just my casual inquiry about a room change. I may have worked to our benefit, but we certainly didn't feel good about it. What would have happened if I made a fuss? While this won't stop me from inquiring about certain rooms, areas, and changes at check-in, I will never let myself be some arrogant, entitled, self-important brat who demand that I be given the best seat in the house. I may even prompt the CM to make sure they aren't trampling over someone else request to accommodate me (unless I made the reservation/request before they did , of course ;)

Personally, I think you acted a bit like a spoiled brat with a sense of entitlement. While I agree the MK view should be raised a bit in floors (or maybe split between 2 different tiers), those are the current rules and setup, and everyone lives by them. Why are you specifically entitled to be on the top floors vs others who play by the same rules? Basically, you just displaced someone else who had a MK view room.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem for asking for a better room if its available, I do it often. I also think you were right in calling out that you are a DVC member. But the way it sounds like you (twice) refused the room, called them unacceptable, and demanded a better view because you're entitled to it, or somehow have more right to a better room because you are paying $3,000, smacks of selfishness and arrogance. I might give you a pass on the first complaint being on the 3rd floor, but to still throw a fit after getting the 6th floor was uncalled for. You obviously just didn't want a good view, you felt you were entitled to the BEST view.

I have to say I agree 100% with this post.

I will give you -- getting 3rd floor doesn't cut it for the cost of a MK view, I had a 2nd floor Std 2BR and we thought the view was marvelous for a Std, one floor up not so much for a MK view. To kindly and nicely request a higher room if available would be completely acceptable in my view.

However when you had a childish fit over the 6th floor is where I take great issue and feel you went too far in your belief of your entitlement.

A little off topic...

We have a BLT Lake View booked for two studios in November (Thanksgiving week). We have to arrive late (around 7pm) the Sat before Thanksgiving so I expect it to be a very busy check in day. Uconn Jack, I booked on the first day of 11 months window and requested "near the bridge". Do you think I will( or should be ) stuck on the lower level floors because we have to check in later? :goodvibes

We are traveling with two 90 year old grandparents and I am concerned that they not be too high up and would like to be close to the bridge for the simple fact of being closer getting to the Contemporary. So what should I expect for Lake View. I don't think we will be able to really request anything at the desk because we will be getting in late and will probably have to take what they have. We would REALLY like to be close to our grandparents.. I don't want to be on the other side of the building from them. Can I request that we be put together? I guess I am nervous about Lake view assignments. Has anyone determined how low the Lake View rooms go??

What would you suggest for requests on the reservation?? I would appreciate any advice.

I'd like to hear from some people that have been on the 3rd, 4th floor on how the view is. Is 3rd floor where rooms start? If the view is indeed not that good you shouldn't have to pay premium points for that. Sorry but that would be misleading.

I wasn't on the 3rd but I had a 2nd floor room, std view and what we thought was a marvelous view of MK and we saw ALL the fireworks the night we were home to watch them. We were pleasantly surprised and absolutely thrilled BUT we had a Standard room. Where is the best cut off, I don't now? But 4 stories to the 6th floor would be MORE than lovely I'd wager.

I actually read this post yesterday and deleted my original reply as I was so angry reading it and how the feeling of self entitlement when the 6th floor wasn't up to their standards.

But as was mentioned before -- it takes all kinds to form society.

Definately off topic...but I just was thinking about how these reactions were probably the last thing in the world the OP expected :rotfl2:

We have a BLT Lake View booked for two studios in November (Thanksgiving week). We have to arrive late (around 7pm) the Sat before Thanksgiving so I expect it to be a very busy check in day. Uconn Jack, I booked on the first day of 11 months window and requested "near the bridge". Do you think I will( or should be ) stuck on the lower level floors because we have to check in later? :goodvibes

No, I think you should (but not necessarily will) get what you requested. In general, I think that reservations with standing requests (should) trump early arrival and check-ins. I also think that earlier requests (should) trump ones made later. But I do think that all these things being equal, that people checking in earlier should have the ability to pick out the best rooms that are available from the remaining pool of rooms (i.e., those without requests.) I won't say that earlier reservations (without requests) should get preference, because really absence of a request is basically saying you don't care. Plus, the CM's can't be expected to read someone's mind as to what they'd prefer, so if you don't make a request, you should get what you get (and don't get upset - as my kid's teacher tells them).

That said, I unfortunately think DVC sometimes disregards requests, especially to placate the brats who cause a scene. So since you are checking in late, you could end up the unfortunate victim of one of these brats and spineless CMs (another reason to check in early if possible, beat them to the punch).

If you are mostly concerned with being near each other, I would definitely add that to your request. That is a request they get frequently and they will link the two reservations with notes that they would like to be near each other. But keep in mind, the more you narrow down your request, the more you have to be flexible with other aspects. So if you get rooms next to each other somewhere on the south wing where the bridge is, I wouldn't complain, even if you end up on a lower level with a lesser view. That said, my impression so far of the lake views from reports is that they are all pretty nice. Either people haven't quite been as particular about them like the MK views, or they all have reasonable views of the water.

Definately off topic...but I just was thinking about how these reactions were probably the last thing in the world the OP expected :rotfl2:

Then the OP obviously doesn't read the boards very carefully.....

personally, i think you acted a bit like a spoiled brat with a sense of entitlement. While i agree the mk view should be raised a bit in floors (or maybe split between 2 different tiers), those are the current rules and setup, and everyone lives by them. Why are you specifically entitled to be on the top floors vs others who play by the same rules? Basically, you just displaced someone else who had a mk view room.

Don't get me wrong, i have no problem for asking for a better room if its available, i do it often. I also think you were right in calling out that you are a dvc member. But the way it sounds like you (twice) refused the room, called them unacceptable, and demanded a better view because you're entitled to it, or somehow have more right to a better room because you are paying $3,000, smacks of selfishness and arrogance. I might give you a pass on the first complaint being on the 3rd floor, but to still throw a fit after getting the 6th floor was uncalled for. You obviously just didn't want a good view, you felt you were entitled to the best view.

+1

No, I think you should (but not necessarily will) get what you requested. In general, I think that reservations with standing requests (should) trump early arrival and check-ins. I also think that earlier requests (should) trump ones made later. But I do think that all these things being equal, that people checking in earlier should have the ability to pick out the best rooms that are available from the remaining pool of rooms (i.e., those without requests.) I won't say that earlier reservations (without requests) should get preference, because really absence of a request is basically saying you don't care. Plus, the CM's can't be expected to read someone's mind as to what they'd prefer, so if you don't make a request, you should get what you get (and don't get upset - as my kid's teacher tells them).

That said, I unfortunately think DVC sometimes disregards requests, especially to placate the brats who cause a scene. So since you are checking in late, you could end up the unfortunate victim of one of these brats and spineless CMs (another reason to check in early if possible, beat them to the punch).

If you are mostly concerned with being near each other, I would definitely add that to your request. That is a request they get frequently and they will link the two reservations with notes that they would like to be near each other. But keep in mind, the more you narrow down your request, the more you have to be flexible with other aspects. So if you get rooms next to each other somewhere on the south wing where the bridge is, I wouldn't complain, even if you end up on a lower level with a lesser view. That said, my impression so far of the lake views from reports is that they are all pretty nice. Either people haven't quite been as particular about them like the MK views, or they all have reasonable views of the water.

Thanks for the advice:thumbsup2 I booked both reservations together and both ressies came to me so I would assume they are already linked. But I will call MS and confirm they are linked and be sure that that is prominent in the request. I am pretty sure I have "near the bridge" in the request, so I guess I can keep that and hopefully they will fulfil the two requests. I would be thrilled with a 5th floor Lake view facing the contemporary so that my son can see the monorail, I can see the lake and we don't have to travel too difficult to get to the bridge! Not asking for too much right?:thumbsup2

Are Lake views all on the East side of the building? Anyone know?

We stayed at BLT for two nights last month. Our reservation was for a studio, lake view. We did on-line check in. When we got to the resort, I requested a high floor view if it was available (this was at around 4:00 p.m.). We were given a 9th floor room with a great view. I only saw one other guest on the floor during our (brief) stay there. We are members and did use points for our stay.

What would you suggest for requests on the reservation?? I would appreciate any advice.

We were just there last week and I had emailed customer support on the DVC member website. They responded that they passed the message along to BLT and that they will try to meet my request, but it is not a guarantee. I requested a room in the North Tower (studio LV) and got what I had asked for....plus we didn't check in until 9:30pm.

Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter