Check in advice - indirect flights via LHR

pigby

<font color=66CC33>This one might be a little more
The paperwork from our travel agent for our flights to LAX in 3 weeks state that we need to check in 3 hours in advance of our first flight. We are travelling MAN - LHR and LHR - LAX - I wondered if this should really be only 2 hours since our first flight is internal? Just wondering what time to book our taxi to take us to the airport.

Also both flight numbers are BD ie British Midland - I know that the transatlantic flight is a codeshare with Virgin Atlantic - we need to switch terminals at Heathrow though (plenty of time to do this though since they changed the internal flight to one a couple of hours earlier:confused3) Will they check our luggage straight through or will we need to collect and take it onto the Virgin flight?

Even for transatlantic we don't check in til 2 hours before, less if we have done online check in so there is no way I would check in 3 hours before in your situation.
I have never done a UK internal then transatlantic we have always done transatlantic then US internal where you have to collect luggage and re-check. Hopefully someone will post an answer, if not ask when checking in.

I did this three times in 2003, 2004, and 2005. In all cases we were flying Virgin to LAX but flew down with different airlines ... I know once was BA as we had airmiles, I can't remember who the others were.

In all cases our luggage went straight through (in both directions).

Transfer between terminals was by bus. Crowded and sometimes had to wait for a second bus. Clear directions tells you were to go and there was a separate virgin check in desk for transfer passengers.

Customs at LHR on the way back was just walk through without luggage and then at MAN it was internal flight so collect luggage and leave. Hanging around was tedious on the way home but I guess better than driving back!!

sounds like you're going almost exactly the same time as my trips - all were Easter - it was great weather, amazing holidays ... have a great time :D

Does check in for internal flights actually open 3 hours before the flight? I seem to remember check in not opening until 2 hours before for internal/european flights?

We flew MAN to LHR with BMI in 2004, going onto LAX with VA. Check-in at MAN didn't open until 2 hours before, given it was an internal flight.

We were checked straight through to LAX, bags too, but we were called over the tannoy at the gate in LHR as our API had not been collected/sent through to USA due to our lack of check-in at LHR. Nothing to worry about though.

Can I get any more acronyms in???

Thank you all for being really helpful - now so excited I feel a bit sick!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter