Cheapest transport from airport-WDW resort??

perla75

DIS Veteran
We are thinking about staying at the Swan/Dolphin, and trying to decide what the cheapest mode of transportation would be to get from the airport to the resort & vice versa? From what I understand, the S/D does not do Magical Express.

What do you think is the cheapest way to travel & roughly how much would it cost each way? We don't need anything fancy, just something reliable and inexpensive.

Thanks!

You could head to the Mears counter at MCO when you arrive. You can then arrange for a bus ride to the S/D. It will cost you but not very much. And you may very well be put on the DME bus that goes to YC/BC and BW.

The round trip with Mears will cost you about $30.00 per person, I say about because I heard they have raised their price in the past month. I do not know if that is true. So a family of 5 would pay Mears roughly $150.00 for a bus ride to the S/D. A pre-paid vehicle, town car, SUV or van, would run you about $100.00 round trip for 1 - 10 passengers. A taxi will run you about $54.00 on the meter one way. A pre-paid vehicle will usually stop for groceries and brew. A taxi will but will continue to run the meter.

Thanks to both of you! $30 per person seems reasonable. Can we book this in advance to ensure a seat on the bus or can you only wing it?

Also, do people who choose this route typically tip the bus driver?

What about a one day car rental? You can rent from alamo and return it at the dolphin when you arrive. That seems like it would be much cheaper than 30pp for a bus.

Thanks to both of you! $30 per person seems reasonable. Can we book this in advance to ensure a seat on the bus or can you only wing it?

Also, do people who choose this route typically tip the bus driver?

It is customary to tip anyone who handles your luggage.

It is customary to tip anyone who handles your luggage.

Thank you! I wasn't sure if they would accept tips on the ME. We tried offering tips to other non-tipped position CMs in the past and they refused and I think we made them feel uncomfortable.

But this makes sense, same as a bellhop.

What about a one day car rental? You can rent from alamo and return it at the dolphin when you arrive. That seems like it would be much cheaper than 30pp for a bus.

We thought about that, but there are only 2 of us. I'm guessing a 1 day rental would be more than $60 total?

I think Mears is the cheapest choice. A taxi can be really costly, especially if there is heavy traffic.

I emailed the Swan & Dolphin a few months ago, and they replied that they do not participate in Magical Express. Here's the weird part though- when we caught the ME bus to Boardwalk last month, I saw this sign at the ME lines:

swolfinME.JPG

So the question is, who's wrong- the hotel or ME?? :confused:

So the question is, who's wrong- the hotel or ME?? :confused:

They're both correct.

S/D doesn't particpate with DME, S/D guests can't book DME.

DCL passengers who book a land/sea package can stay at the S/D. Those passengers can purchase transfers through DCL. DCL provided transportation between MCO/WDW is provided by DME.

I think Mears is the cheapest choice. A taxi can be really costly, especially if there is heavy traffic.

So, just to clarify, we would basically be taking the ME with the other WDW guests, just paying for our ticket? Sounds fine to me for just $60 total plus tip. If we did go this route (and we probably will), does the Mears service do the same luggage transfer as ME? Will they bring your luggage to your room for you or do you do that part yourself?

Thanks!

And is there a way t book this in advance or would we have to just wing it?

You would need to get your own luggage from the baggage carousel at the airport, and it will be placed under the bus or on the van. When you get to Swan/Dolphin, you can hand you bags over to Bell Services, and they will deliver when you call for your bags.

Yes you can reserve and pay online ahead of time. Go to mearstransportation.com, and click on shuttles, then go through the drop down menus for your date and hotel. You will get an email confirmation with a bar code that can be taken to the Mears desk or to the Kiosk to print your actual tickets. Then you will be directed to the appropriate bus or van. FYI, it is $32 per person round trip.

Last time I went to the Dolphin with Mears, they put me in a van, not a DME bus.

Last time I went to the Dolphin with Mears, they put me in a van, not a DME bus.

That seems fine. I"d prefer the ME bus because I like to watch the WDW video commercials but a van would be fine as well.

Could I ask-how was your experience going this route? Was it pleasant, efficient, etc...

You would need to get your own luggage from the baggage carousel at the airport, and it will be placed under the bus or on the van. When you get to Swan/Dolphin, you can hand you bags over to Bell Services, and they will deliver when you call for your bags.

Yes you can reserve and pay online ahead of time. Go to mearstransportation.com, and click on shuttles, then go through the drop down menus for your date and hotel. You will get an email confirmation with a bar code that can be taken to the Mears desk or to the Kiosk to print your actual tickets. Then you will be directed to the appropriate bus or van. FYI, it is $32 per person round trip.

Thank you for that info!

Thank you! I wasn't sure if they would accept tips on the ME. We tried offering tips to other non-tipped position CMs in the past and they refused and I think we made them feel uncomfortable.

But this makes sense, same as a bellhop.
Believe me, the drivers have no problem accepting a tip. If you end up on a DME bus, you will see signage up by the driver telling you that gratuities are gratefully accepted.

So, just to clarify, we would basically be taking the ME with the other WDW guests, just paying for our ticket? Sounds fine to me for just $60 total plus tip. If we did go this route (and we probably will), does the Mears service do the same luggage transfer as ME? Will they bring your luggage to your room for you or do you do that part yourself?

Thanks!

And is there a way t book this in advance or would we have to just wing it?

Yes, that's about it. I've taken the DME bus to BCV and BWV, and we did make a stop at the S/D...those getting off there paid for their ride. You would just get your own bags, bring them to the bus and off you go. Then, when you get to S/D, your bags will be offloaded, handed to you and you will checkin as usual.

They're both correct.

S/D doesn't particpate with DME, S/D guests can't book DME.

DCL passengers who book a land/sea package can stay at the S/D. Those passengers can purchase transfers through DCL. DCL provided transportation between MCO/WDW is provided by DME.

Thank you!! I've been wondering about that ever since I saw the sign! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter