Cheapest GOOD eats at the World

KimBeano

Mouseketeer
Little background:

We leave in 24 days for a big family trip to DW, 7 of us multi generational. I have all that planned out, ADRs etc.

My DH and I said we were going to skip a year and return in 2014. However, reading on these boards has peeked my interest in planning a totally different kind of DW trip next year for just my 4 family members.

We love camping and have all the gear, so I'm thinking a 10 day camping trip at FW. I know we can swing $$ for tickets and site, and we can drive, so now I need to think eating plan. Breakfast and a lot of dinners at camp site, but it got me thinking about "the deals" best bang for your buck food. I'm thinking October so we'll have to snack around Epcot F&W at least twice. Lol!

This would be different for us because no ADRs, no exact planning, more days, more relaxed and staying on site which we've never done.

Food suggestions or anything else???

Earl of Sandwich DTD = $6 subs (delicious)
Any bakery in the parks = $6 sandwiches (big), $5 muffins and cupcakes (HUGE)
Wolfgang Puck Express DTD = super yummy $10-15 average dishes
Pecos Bills MK = Get a Taco Salad. It's meat and shell only and then you can load up the cheese and veggies at the topping bar

Also want to mention snacking around the World @ Epcot during F&W is a great way to go.

How can you eat at the parks and not spend a ton? Answer: Counter Service.

At Disney World kids are considered adults >10 for everything [table service, tickets, etc.] but you are allowed to order from the kids meal at Counter Service Restaurants [CS]; but sometimes my oldest got a regular menu item.

We spent $160 on groceries which included fresh fruits, veggies, yogurts, v8 fruit juice, lots of snacks, beer, capri suns, bottled waters, breakfast food….
and made 2 dinners. We also brought stuff from home since we drove [protein powder for smoothies, snacks, etc.]. Many people say “I don’t want to cook on vacation”…2 dinners out of 7 is not bad and breakfast can be as easy as you want it to be….1 dinner was a slow cooker meal we put in in the morning and the other was on the grill so super easy! It is worth the savings and you eat better food…I made a big breakfast every morning…with fruit smoothies every morning…one morning oatmeal, 2 mornings pancakes, eggs and sausage, eggs and bagels, last day whatever was left people’s choice…

Also instead of big meals, we did more snacking at the Parks…DAY 1 SATURDAY

lunch at MK Pinocchios $33.29
DINNER Fuddruckeres….
there was a family of 4 meal deal that even included beers. $25 PLUS we added another kids meal $6 and 2 side salads….the kid burgers are really small though. I gave oldest DD some of my meat. The other 2 had mac n cheese [which is kraft fyi].

DAY 2 SUNDAY
lunch Epcot La Cantina [shared 2 loaded nachos..mmm mmm] $21.20
Fountainview 2 swirl ice creams $7.66
1 Frozen Coke $4
1 Grand marnier Slushie France $9.50
Dinner Epcot France 3 desserts and 5 sandwiches $31.64 [This place is the hidden gem at Epcot in my opinion. There's always a line but it goes quickly. We enjoyed our meals while sitting adn waiting to watch fireworks.]

Day 3 MONDAY
lunch Studios discovered the FOOD COURT BY TOT! Woo Hoo. Finally good food at HS!!
Fairfax Fare $41.50 for 4 [2 turkey legs, 1 pbj kids, 1 salad and 2 beers]
other kid bought kids pizza @ catalina eddie’s $5.32
snack/supper 4 corn dogs $17 [i wasn't hungry]
ate slow cooked corn on cob and chips and salsa at home later after swimming

Day 4 TUESDAY
lunch Animal Kingdom Pizzafari $35.13
Snacks 1 Brownie and 3 Huge Crumb Cakes $14.77
Frozen Chai for me $5
Dinner Burgers, salad, watermelon

Day 5 WEDNESDAY
late lunch @ Giordano’s…ordered 2 small stuffed pizzas big platter of fried things 2 side salads to share and iced tea/soda for all….after $25 gift cert we paid $45…but we ate it for dinner also so 2 meals!
Snacks for fireworks…2 Cotton Candy Bags $8.42

Day 6 THURSDAY
lunch Morocco @44.68 for 4 of us
lunch Fish & Chips for DH $8.73; we all ate in line for Belle
snacks 1 crepe and 2 ice creams France $12.26
Margarita Kiosk $13.32 for ONE margarita…it was good
Kir Royal Champagne Drink $13.75
Dinner Slow cooked chicken black bean recipe I got on here…mmm mmmm
[chicken, salsa, 1 can corn, black beans, 1 package cream cheese...i had forgotten black beans and still yummo]. Served with tortillas.

Day 7 FRIDAY
lunch @ Earl of Sandwich $24.45
smoothies @ Pollo Campero 3 smoothies + Watermelon Sangria $24.46

Great, great, great info!!! We love Fairfax Fare.

This is getting me excited because it is doable!! I don't mind cooking on vacation. Just keep it easy!

My DH and kids love the whole pizzas at WDW

kids menu individuals, not so much.

Cosmic Rays at MK has a great ribs and chicken dinner. We usually get two with an extra side and then split it between three of us. The food is usually good.

Nepean

Turkey legs! The last time we were there, they were about $4, and HUGE!

Apparently they've had a price increase!

Turkey Leg Cart
Adventureland - Magic Kingdom

Menu Date: July 2012

Turkey Leg $9.75

Source: Allears

Turkey legs! The last time we were there, they were about $4, and HUGE!

Yes, I remember when they were cheaper, we couldn't justify the price this year, there are too many other great things to eat!
Earl Of Sandwich is a favorite of ours and Cosmic Ray's chicken is large enough to split.

If you want a sit down, check out the Plaza in MK! Amazing sandwiches and not expensive (on regards to Disney food).

I second the bakery in France. Great price and you can make it a snack or a counter service meal.

And remember to ask them to heat up your ham and cheese croissant, oh my to die for and always gets at least 2 stops on our 1 week visits!

CSR has a great buffet breakfast at Pepper Market if you are not wanting to eat in one morning.

don't forget the resorts for fun speciality items like biegnets(? sp) at PORFQ so cheap and so good

MK bakery has huge portions and yummy stuff too

We discovered the waffles at the Sleepy Hollow Counter Service place in the MK. They were huge and filled us up. My kids love Earl of Sandwhich. We have also been known to have ice cream sundaes or huge cupcakes for lunch. :rolleyes1

I belive you can order take out chicken at Trails Inn at the campground for a reasonable price.

I have learned that my kids are not huge lunch eaters when we are at Disney. So we usually eat breakfast in the room ( I bring granola bars, oatmeal packets, pb crackers), then they like to snack for lunch, and then we eat dinner. Now that they are almost all considered "adults" we don't get the Dinning Plan because sometimes they feel like a kids meal and it ends up being cheaper for us.

Epcot

• With 4 of you, split a pizza at Via Napoli for a nice sitdown meal.
  • Rose and crown pub has the English Bulldog for $7
  • Brats in Germany for under $7
  • Check out the Lucky Combo at Joy of Tea for a shared family snack (Egg Roll, Curry Chicken Pocket, Pork Bun, Drink, and Ice Cream for $10)
  • Fish and Chips is around $8 in the UK
  • Check out the menus in all the Bakeries. I like a bagette and cheese plate from Boulangerie Patisseri for just over $8.
  • Side trip to the Boardwalk for the Big River Grill Bowl of Beer Cheese soup for $6.
  • Side trip to the Boardwalk for the $5 Boardwalk-To-Go meatball sub.
  • Side trip to the Swan for 2 slices of Pizza with Topping and a soda for $7 at Splash Terrace.

Magic Kingdom

• Corn Dog Nuggets from Casey's under $5
  • Any of the Waffle Sandwiches at Sleepy Hallow are the best deal going for $7.
  • Cinnamon Roll or other delight from Main Street Bakery
  • The Plaza and Columbia Harbor House have some reasonably priced different options.
  • Head to the Poly for some Tonga Toast or Pork Nachos at Captain Cooks
  • Stay in Fort Wilderness and grab some Nachos w/ Cheese and Chilli for $5 at the Chuck Wagon
DHS

• Min and Bills have some cool sandwich type food for around $8-$9
  • $4.29 Corn Dog at Herbie's Drive-In
  • MUST EAT CARROT CAKE COOKIE.....just $4
Animal Kingdom

• Wings at Mr. Kamal's for $7.59
  • Yak and Yeti Local Food's Cafe has a bunch of Chinese food type sides that are priced reasonably and can add up to a meal
  • Flame Tree BBQ is delicious
Other

• You can get 3 meatball sliders in Portobello in DTD for $8
  • Earl of Sandwich is great value also in DTD
  • In Sassagoula Floatworks you can get Gumbo and Beignets for super cheap (around $6 for both combined, I think)
  • $7 Cuban sandwich at Cafe Rix in Coronado Springs
  • A lot of places have chili or soup for under $5

If you can swing the investment now, and if it makes sense (i.e. will your next trip be completed within one year of the start of this trip), how about annual passes so you won't have that cost to incur next year :thumbsup2?? I bought an AP in May and will be using it in 16 days and hopefully again in early May 2013 before it expires :cool1:.

dznyacct said:
If you can swing the investment now, and if it makes sense (i.e. will your next trip be completed within one year of the start of this trip), how about annual passes so you won't have that cost to incur next year :thumbsup2?? I bought an AP in May and will be using it in 16 days and hopefully again in early May 2013 before it expires :cool1:.

I would love to do that, but I can't swing it until tax return and my FIL paid for this trip, so no worries there. I would like to do that one time though. I'm in ATL so I could drive down a few weekend through the year.

thedonduck said:
If you want a sit down, check out the Plaza in MK! Amazing sandwiches and not expensive (on regards to Disney food).

We discovered this last year. Definitely doing this for late night at MK. Prices were so good and cute atmosphere.

I would love to do that, but I can't swing it until tax return and my FIL paid for this trip, so no worries there. I would like to do that one time though. I'm in ATL so I could drive down a few weekend through the year.

Just a note that you can upgrade your ticket from this trip to an AP within 14 days of first using it. Not sure what kind of ticket you have for your upcoming trip and what the incremental cost would be :confused3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter