• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cheapest Cruise??

I paid 460 p/p wo fees/tax 641 total. 1/25/2003 sailing.
Non-Fla resident cat 11 upgraded to cat 7 ( we are only 3 in a room)
not sure if the 599 is a base quote w or w/o taxes?

Anyway you cut it. Still a great price and value.

Any DCL rate that ends in "9" includes port taxes but does not include government taxes and fees. On the 7-night cruise, the $599 rate is the Category 11 special promotion, which does not require that you be a Florida resident. An additional $42 to $45 in government taxes and fees is added to the$599 to bring the total to $641-$644 per person which is the rate that Fred paid.

And Fred is right, even in a Category 11, $599 is a great deal on a 7-night DCL cruise. They are apparently overselling this rate more than they normally do, because complimentary upgrades with DCL are generally much more rare than they seem to be with this promotion.

I will add that my upgrade was probably due to the fact that the booking number was from a reservation made 11/2001 on board.
Disney explained that upgrades(if any) are usually granted to the older res numbers first. (at least that was on theory) I switched the reservation to Jan from March when the rates fell.

I also kept a $200 onboard credit / per cabin. Makes for a pretty great deal. I think I lucked out as that was probably not the original intention of the promotion.

Needless to say, I will be booking online agin.

Fred...Can I ask who you booked through online? And Allseastravel...I checked out your website and loved it. I am just a bit uncomfortable since I do not know anything about your company. I hope you will not be offended if I post again asking if anyone has used your agency. I would love to go through allseastravel.com.

We booked with all seasons travel and they called US to let us know we would receive a refund because the price dropped. I actually lowered my category and saved about $600. They are fabulous in my book. If you speak with Mr Maida "Chuck" tell him Monica referred you- he'll get a kick out of it-lol. I have called them so many times with so many questions they surely have lost money on me. You should check out their site at www.allseastravel.com.

chuckncole,
how were you able to get the disney club credit without booking through DCL? i too am a disney club member and was told I could only get the onboard credit if i booked through them?

thanks!
mc

Oh No!!! I think I am in trouble - I booked our vacation thru Vacation Outlet - We are going on the 9/20/03 7 day Eastern Cruise. I am being charged a rate of $836.35 per adult & $436.35 for my daughter!!! We only have a Cat 11 room - By reading all of the above information I think that I have been had -

Does anyone know if I can change my reservations from Vacation Outlets to Dreams Unlimited? I know that I will be charged a fee from Vacation Outlet of $40 per reservation but it sounds like it might be worth it.

Can someone please help me out - There are a total of 7 adults going on the trip in my group & if I can save us money - more Disney stuff & fun. Thanks

Don't panic. It doesn't sound like you've been had to me. For the 9/20/03 cruise, it sounds like you've got a good deal. Sounds like $799 per adult plus taxes/fees. That's the best that's going to be available at this point. Disney doesn't typically offer "last minute" deals. The few times they have, the price would be a bit lower, but for a September cruise, you're nowhere near enough sailing time to have that even considered yet.

Julie

we just got back from the Jan. 4th sailing...Fred, we had our 200$ CC onboard credit cut in half because, and I quote "we dropped down in categories, therefore we were not entitled to the full 200$ credit" This was the DCL line. When I changed ressies from the much more$$ March 1st cruise to the Jan.4th, I asked my agent to double check that we had the 200$ credit, she called me back, and confirmed. Once we got onboard, I noticed my credit was NOT there, and enquired at guest services. They looked into it, contacted my agent, who promptly DENIED ever being told by me to verify the credit(nice, eh?) and then told me they would only give me the 100$. As this was ALL done over the phone last minute, and we did pier check in, I have no documentation, therefore as far as DCL is concerned, NO PROOF. Where, I would like to know, is it written that if you change categories you are not entitled to the CC credit? I still have the postcard sent to our cabin last Thursday saying rebookings qualify for the 200$ credit, ALL CATEGORIES. People...BEWARE...make sure you have everything in writing!!! I will check out allseas, and have already contacted dreams for a future sailings, I am writing this off as a buyer beware thing.

I'm told back in Sept 2002 the on board credit was changed not by category but to a flat $100 for cabins on the 3-4day and $200 for cabins on the 7days.

Thanks for the heads up.
I'll check with the head mouse in Celebration to send me something in writting.

BTW I meant to say, I'll book onboard again instead of online.

Anyone think it is worth trying to get my extra 100$? Or will that go on my "history".....that wealth of info dcl can(or cannot) pull up at a moments notice....I'm thinking I don't want to be one of "those people"...!

Fred, excellent point regarding the change in the onboard booking incentive. That is exactly what I was thinking and is probably the cause of the decrease in the shipboard credit that was received. The credit appears in writing nowhere other than within Disney's computer system. All verification between DCL and the travel agent regarding shipboard credits is verbal. In many cases, the shipboard credit we are told is in DCL's system today, mysteriously disappears from their system tomorrow.

Be careful on the issue of pricing though. In the olden days, onboard pricing was generally at least as good, if not better than online pricing. That is not the case anymore. Today, if you are booking inside of a year, online pricing with the right travel agency might be less than onboard pricing with DCL, even after considering the shipboard credit. Now, the only difference between booking onboard and booking by phone with DCL is the shipboard credit. There is no preferred pricing. Compare some of the Spring and Summer 2003 pricing you find at www.allseastravel.com and other sites to Disney's pricing and you'll see what I mean.

In addition to price, the service provided by an agency such as DU or www.allseastravel.com is almost always better than the service provided by DCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter