Cheap/free things to do at/around disney?

prncsskimb

Earning My Ears
We will be going to disney for a week in august. We are not planning on spending every day in the parks. I am looking for some cheap/free ideas of things to do to fill in the extra days. Things I know of off hand:

-Spending the day window shopping in DTD-could cost money in the long run but thats fine.

-renting Surry (?) bikes at the boardwalk

-letting my girls get their hair braided at the boardwalk

-spending a day at our resort pools

Please add your ideas! I know you guys can help!

Kim

~Check out the Fort Wilderness campfire and movie. Roast s'mores- yum!
~Watch MK fireworks or EWP from a resort beach (poly? fw?)
~Explore other resorts (to help decide where you would like to stay in the future;))
~Ride the boat from Port Orleans to DTD and check out the old treehouses- DH loved those!
~Let kids play in the water fountain at DTD.
~Ride the monorail.

If you are able to travel (with car) about either a trip to a beach or one of the parks (both local or state park).

For younger kids - green meadows farm & petting zoo.

-Kay

Do a Hidden Mickey scavenger hunt. You can get a list of Hidden Mickeys by doing a Google search (there are several websites) or purchase the book Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to WDW's Best Kept Secrets. Some of the resorts also have a list at their Guest Services Desk.

Divide into teams and take pictures of each Hidden Mickey that you find, using a digital camera. Set a time limit and then meet up for ice cream and a chance to share your photos. Give trading pins to the winning team or make your own "Expert Hidden Mickey Locator" buttons. Total cost will be determined by your ice cream consumption and the cost of pins.

This works especially well if you do the monorail resorts or the EPCOT area resorts because transportation between them is very convenient. Little ones and teens all seem to enjoy this activity. Plus, you get to check out some of the deluxe resorts in the process.

www.mousesavers.com - They have a link on their site that gave me some great ideas. We stayed on property so we took disney transportation to gather pennies from all of the resorts. My son was about 8 and it gave us a chance to see all of the resorts for future travel.

What a fun thread. Here are some ideas:

* When in DTD, definately go to the Lego store and let your kids play and build at the free outdoor building stations. They get some Lego therapy and you can enjoy a cool drink.

* also at DTD, go to Once Upon a Toy and build some funky potatos and dress up some little ponies and take photos of your new "friends". Really, really hard not to spend $$ at DTD -- make this the time to buy souvineers for your trip! There is a $10 and under store there!

* take photos at DTD -- there are great photo ops at the Christmas Store (outside w/character Christmas scene -- do your Christmas card photo!), by the Pooh store, w/the pooh character bench, the Minnie at the Pin Store, the princesses outside the World of Disney and the Lego people at the Lego store.

* Go to Boardwalk in the evening and enjoy the entertainment -- piano man on a tricycle, a roving magician, midway games and it will be much cooler if you want to ride that surrey. When you are done, go to Beaches and Cream and have the Kitchen Sink for dinner ( I know it is terrible to have ice cream for dinner, but how many times in your life are you going to do that? Also, it will feed your whole family for a lot less than regular meals!! I am trying to use this argument on my husband!). If you stay late enough you can probably catch some of Illuminations on the bridge to Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter