Cheap flights to Orlando?

Michelle26

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

My first post, and am looking for some advice please.

I bought into DVC last year and went back this year to our home SSR, and did a three night disney cruise. It was just fantastic and I am so impressed with the accomodation and service etc.

However, I booked our flights this time last year and got a great deal with TCD, with a car and insurance all for £1750, however this brought us back five days after school began, on 7th Sept.

I would love to take my family next year but we have been told that we cannot take the kids out of school, albeit for a few days. SO that means going in the six weeks holidays.

My questions are - is it possible to get reasonable flights then, does anyone know when BA and VA have their sales, has anyone left it to the last minute to book flights ( I would be a bit nervous but if anyone has, please let me know) and if anyone has been in the six weeks hols, is it better early or late.

PHEW! So many questions but would so appreciate any advice anyone could give,

thanks so much

Michelle

To be quite honest, you'll always get hit for higher prices if you fly during the school holidays.

The Virgin Atlantic Mile + Money option for flying club members will help but it's always expensive that time of year.

The only other thing I can think of is if you are willing to fly into Sanford rather than MCO. It's a longer drive and you can't use Magical Express but the savings might be worth it.

We were doing a price comparison today, and admittedly it was the off-season but we could get a flight into Sanford for £160 each return compared with £356 using Miles + Money into MCO.

To be quite honest, you'll always get hit for higher prices if you fly during the school holidays.

The Virgin Atlantic Mile + Money option for flying club members will help but it's always expensive that time of year.

The only other thing I can think of is if you are willing to fly into Sanford rather than MCO. It's a longer drive and you can't use Magical Express but the savings might be worth it.

We were doing a price comparison today, and admittedly it was the off-season but we could get a flight into Sanford for £160 each return compared with £356 using Miles + Money into MCO.

hi...which site did you use for this?,,,I too am looking for cheap flights for next August.:)

hi...which site did you use for this?,,,I too am looking for cheap flights for next August.:)

Virgin Miles plus Money has to be booked with Virgin Atlantic direct, via the Flying Club.

Also sometimes it's cheaper to take a regular airline such as US or United. It may mean a transfer but could save you some. Travelling during the week is also quite often cheaper than nearer the weekend.

and definitely sign up for frequent flyer miles! You'll be going more often so it will add up

We have stopped taking our daughter out of school and would never go again in August as it is too hot for theme parks! Apart from that we paid £3,000 just for the Virgin basic flights and a car and it really not seem worth it.

Have you thought about going at Easter? Some schools take different holidays so you could get a better deal.

I can't stand flying and would not consider a connecting flight but may be worth it cost wise as already suggested.

We are renting out our DVC points until my daughter leaves school and only have three years to go. I was hoping there would be a med cruise 2009 to use points!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Susan

Have you considered going at the October half term? The weather is better, it's much cooler and generally drier.

Also consider going for an odd number of days instead of the normal week, fortnight, etc, that way you can select to use the flights that are not so popular and get them at a cheaper rate. If you fly midweek, Tues, Wed or Thurs the prices are much cheaper.

Although we are only going for 10 nights, we got reasonable flights with US Airways (just over £300 each). The children will have to take 2 days off school but thoses 2 days made all the difference to the cost of the flights.

We are flying on Thursday 18th and we fly home on the 28th arriving back morning of 29th. My childrens schools break for half term on Friday 19th and return Tuesday 30th. I have found it is always worth trying to go a couple of days before the school holidays begin. I don't know about your school but I have found that on thoses last few days before a holiday the schools are winding down anyway and are not doing any essential study work.

Miles plus money with Virgin works out well. But, you'd be much better off heat wise and humidity wise going in October or May half term. The school sounds a bit strict re: holidays. If it were me, I'd go a few weeks before the beginning of October or May holidays and phone in sick. I know it's a bit dishonest, but flight prices are crippling in July/August and it's so humid then.

If you do go in the Summer the last two weeks of the school holidays would be better as most of the American kids will be back in school. And I don't know where in the UK you live, but if it's not too far, it would be cheaper to fly from Glasgow then as the kids there go back to school mid August.

We went in August this year. The DVC points are almost as high as they get, the weather was unbelievably hot (although we avoided the ususal rain), and the flight prices were astronomical (we waited as long as we could and checked daily, but ended up flying into Miami to get a price we were willing to pay. Even then, it was silly money.) I'd struggle to find a reason to go in August again, although I appreciate some have no alternative.

Welcome to the DIS, btw! :goodvibes:

Hi all,

thanks for all your advice. I have decided to go next October for 17 nights with Virgin, hopefully staying at AKLV and VB. I have heard that many people enjoy Oct for the weather and not so crowded.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Michelle x:banana:

I think you just need to know where and when to look, we are at WDW at the moment, flew out here nearly 3 weeks ago into MCO and fly back this coming week. We paid a total of £690 for the two tickets :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter