Cheap eating tips needed

caroline1851

DIS Veteran
Please give me any of your cheap eating tips for my upcoming trip in June. :) We decided not to do the dining plan at all to have more flexibility....

The cheapest eating tip would be to bring your own food. Although, I'm not sure if that's something that would interest you.

We always stop at the grocery store and stock up on breakfast items and healthy snacks. We go back to the resort for a mid-day break, so we are not usually carrying food around with us in the parks. We just find it to be the easiest way to cut back on how much food we buy in the parks. It's also nice to have fresh fruits and vegetables available, so we don't get sick eating out the whole trip.

Probably the biggest money saver is not purchasing drinks. We have a variety of drinks in the room if there are certain things we might crave (like soda), but we just drink water in the parks. For a family of five, drinks can be $15-20 per stop. Multiply that by several times a day and you could enjoy whatever food you want with the daily savings.

I second the grocery stop or delivery. We bring a keurig, and quick breakfast foods.. bagels, protein bars, etc. Get a case of soda and water delivered to the room. We eat breakfast while everyone gets dressed for the day. Saves time and money, and I don't have to drink bad coffee. We each bring a drink to the park with us- that alone can be $10-15 saved on one drink for four people! We never eat big breakfasts at home, so we don't try and do it at Disney anymore.
We don't order the "meals" at qs, we just get a burger/sandwich. Maybe share a separate french fry order.
We tend to not want to sit down and eat a huge TS more than once a day, so we try to book one TS lunch or dinner, and the rest of the day we wing it.. sometimes we'll just grab a pretzel or a snack from a cart, sometimes we'll grab more.

There are no fridges though at All star Sports right? I def was planning to bring some snacks from home..... But i can order and havewater delivered?

There are no fridges though at All star Sports right? I def was planning to bring some snacks from home..... But i can order and havewater delivered?
They do have fridges now! All value resorts have them. Technically theyre called "coolers". I'll see if i can find a pic somewhere. BTW yes you can get water delivered. But just so you know, water is free at the food court from the fountain drink machines. just bring your own canister/bottle. Fill it up with ice and water and youre good to go!

Here you go!
http://**************.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Mini-fridge-Detail-at-Disneys-All-Star-Sports-Resort-from-**************.net_.jpg

All Stars have fridges now.
I use Garden Grocer. Not sure how it works at values but, they deliver during a time frame you pick. They text you when the groceries are delivered. Bell services holds the groceries - keeping cold stuff in the fridge. When I arrive, I tell check in I had groceries delivered and then bell services delivers to the room. Prices are a little higher than the average grocery store but so worth it. I get water, soda, chips, yogurt, real soap, real kleenex...I have also done the stop at Walmart but it's takes time, I end up with more implies buys, and then either taxi fare or gas - not worth it for me.

Instead of buying water, we bought a few Brita filter bottles. We are super picky about our water (we have an awesome filter at home) and the Brita bottles made the water drinkable. I liked that we didn't have to carry around multiple full water bottles; we just stopped at the fountains for a refill. We only drink water (no soda, juice, etc), so having good water is a BIG deal for us.

We did have a car this past time, so I made a grocery store trip for breakfast & snack items- yogurt, cereal & milk, fruit, granola bars, and even some pb&j fixings just in case. We also usually split 3 CS meals between the 4 of us and added in a granola bar or fruit as needed. When we flew a couple years ago, I took lots non-perishable snacks (thank you, Costco!) in my suitcase- the space was later filled with souvenirs :teeth:

As was said, buy breakfast foods at a supermarket and some snack bars, water. Many counter service lunches are fairly large (turkey sandwich at Cosmic Ray's comes to mind) and can shared.

If you have a car with you, Bring water and snack bars from walmart etc and if you go back to your room/hotel at lunch for a pool break do dining outside of
Disney for an early or late Lunch. There are many cheap eating places and even the well known eateries are way cheaper then Disney.
If you are at a Disney hotel some of the Gift shops now have cases of water for about $6 and even some of the snack prices were not that bad.
Also at some sit down places lunch is cheaper and sometime even the same items as dinner so a late lunch can be a cheaper alternative if you want a sit down
place to eat.

Split meals when possible
Drink water (free) at meals
Eat in room
Take food and snacks with you
Earl of Sandwich
Pick up the phone book and order pizza to be delivered
Skip dessert

I don't want to fix my lunch on vacation. I'm good with eating granola bars and fruit for breakfast but I feel like dining out is a huge part of my vacation. Some tips I would recommend is going to places that you can share meals. I'm not sure what the make up of your family is but we have 2 adults, 2 kids. Here are some examples:
Via Napoli- order large pizza for $41. That would be plenty for us but you could always add an appetizer (~$10) to your order if you needed more food. So for roughly $11 per person we would get one of the best table service meals available.
Flametree is also an idea. The chicken and ribs plate is supposed to be pretty large so we would do 2 of those for the 4 of us.
Same for the meals at Wolfgang Puck Express, Tangierine Cafe, Sunshine Seasons, etc...

Buffets (for characters if you are interested in that), you wouldn't be able to get around the price but perhaps you could make it your only real meal of the day. I'd probably do granola bars and fruit for breakfast that we brought. I'd book the buffet for 2 or 3 in the afternoon. It would also be a nice break from the park at those hours too! If we got hungry later, we would grab a snack like a couple of pretzels or ice creams to share. This of course, assumes that you will be eating a lot at the buffet. They are too expensive to not though! ;)

Also my biggest tip would probably be to drink water. We always do so it isn't seen as cutting back to us but it's so insane to pay $3 for a soft drink. That could easily add $12 to each meal for a party of 4.

What do you define as 'cheap eating tips'?

- Trying to save money while still doing sit downs?
- Trying to save money at all costs, even by bringing your own food and using grocery stores/coolers?
- Trying to find the best meals that can feed multiple people for lower cost?

My biggest tips:

1.) Look into filter bottles like Brita for water. Drinks add up fast, especially when you're constantly thirsty if on food all day trekking through the parks.
2.) Bring your own snack items. $5-$8 snacks for 3-4 people a few times a day adds up FAST.

Avoiding Disney's food offerings 100% is doable and many have done it. I'd rather post-pone my trip 1-2 years than do that. (not saying that's what you're doing).

We plan to eat a few buffets (my son's favorite) and mostly counter service. Thankyou for the Great tips on saving money on drinks and snacks. I def thought those would be the way to blow a whole lot of money. the frig is awesome. I guess bringing water bottles are a good idea and refilling at parks? and def bring some own snacks from home.

As long as nothing has changed, you can get a cup of water free at any time at any of the QS restaurants - not just when you order a meal. We are big water drinkers rather than pop/soda and have done this on multiple trips and then you don't have to lug around a bunch of water bottles - although we often have had a couple. We aren't too picky about water and the WDW water tastes fine to us.

We always bring breakfast food with us (granola bars, instant oatmeal. etc.) and eat in the room or pack into the backpack if heading to the parks for rope drop.

Share, Share, Share! We have so many food favorites in the park and so that we can enjoy more we often share items - especially the very large cinnamon rolls! When the kids were little a lot of the QS meals were easy to split between one adult and one child or two children. - Not so much now that they are two teenage boys!

In November when it was just DS and me, we really ended up with only one meal for the day and then shared a couple of snacks.

We don't necessarily try to save money on food at Disney, but some of the things we do end up saving us money in the end. We drive, so we always bring breakfast foods, snacks, and a case of bottled water for the room. None of us are big breakfast eaters (or certainly not a big breakfast every morning) so eating in the room works perfectly for us. We usually take granola bars, pop-tarts, bagels, cereal, and some type of pastries or donuts. We pick up milk and cream cheese at the resort. We don't bring our own water to the parks with us because we prefer to travel "bag free" to the parks and we also want our water to be cold when we drink it. We buy a few bottles of water throughout the day when we need them. Bringing your own water to the parks is definitely a way to save money but it doesn't work for our family. We also take microwave popcorn, pretzels, and crackers to keep in the room for late-night snacking. We eat at quick service restaurants for the most part -- again, not because we're trying to save money but because that's what works for us (we don't want to be tied down to ADRs every day). At the QS restaurants, even though the menus show everything as a combo meal, you can order just the sandwich. I almost always only order a sandwich or salad for myself and pick at the sides from the kids meals because they never eat them all anyway and I don't eat much. I will sometimes order a kids meal for myself because that's more than enough food for me most days. We will also usually order a pizza or 2 for a meal one night -- that's an easy and inexpensive meal.

Most TS and many QS items cam be split no problem, especially if you have lighter appetites. We tend to split a couple of snacks, split at least one, sometimes two meals a day.

We do bring bottled water in the park but our kids are little so we have a stroller. I'm fine with tap and drink it at lunch/dinner but I just don't see going out of the way to go in a QS restaurant to get water. I'd probably end up drinking way less than I should!

This is from the perspective that we like to eat out when vacationing. We could save a lot more by packing our own food.

Many quick service places have great food that can be shared. Have BOG for lunch instead of dinner; Earl of Sandwich if at DTD; share at Cosmic Rays. If you want table service, look for the ones that are more reasonable: Plaza Restaurant in MK comes to mind. For a character meal: Tusker House at about 10:45 in the morning(pay breakfast price, but get breakfast and lunch as they switch over). If you have the Disney Visa, check their list of restaurants that give a 10% discount. We ate at Boma, Grand Fl cafe and Beirgarten with the discount. There are others, mostly at resorts. It's just a little discount, but it helps. Someone else suggested drinking water. Good idea. I usually only order a drink when we are at a buffet and it's included. Water is better for you anyways. Bringing some snacks for breakfast will save money and time in the mornings. If you drive to Orlando, you can save by packing sandwiches for the trip, saving money for while you're at WDW.

We had the dining plan once and I'm sure we spent more than when we just pay as we go...ordering what we want.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter