Cheap but GOOD way to clean VERY grungy cherry wood kitchen cabinets?

StillPinballFamily

Mouseketeer
I can't stand it anymore! There are food/drink splatters, etc. (we aren't just talking fingerprints, here!) Especially on the cabinet door with the trash can behind it...Ick! Double ick!!!

Obviously, I need to protect the clear wood finish, but don't want to have to scrub this gunk until next week, either, to get it off.

Anyone got any ideas?

Most of the online sites I've tried to research just seem to advertise some specific products a vendor or store wants to push. Other products really strip the varnished finish right off the wood to clean *everything* off - don't want that. Other gentler products might work well to clean cabinets that one already (ahem...) :rolleyes1 regularly cleans. Sadly, that hasn't been the case with my household. These babies haven't been touched in awhile. (The upper cabinets are gorgeous and look fine - just some of the lower ones in the higher traffic areas are problematic...)

Some suggestions I've seen listed online include Orange Glo, some "purple stuff" degreaser from Walmart, Murphy's Oil Soap, "Kitchen Magic" spray cleaner, and so on. Any experiences with these...or...?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer! :flower3:

1) We used the sprayable Murphy's Oil Soap.
. . . 20-yr old solid (not veneer) cherry cabinets
. . . never polished
. . . never cleaned
2) Worked like a wonder.

Try your liquid dish soap before you go out and buy something special. Worked fine here.

I've used Murphy's for years on my cabinets and Hardwood floors. Works like a charm. Pretty much good on any wood surface. :laundy:

Another thing to try for the tough stuff: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - these babies are amazing.:banana: They take the cooked on goo off my stove (you know the gunk that builds up over time around the edges of the burners, ick) without damaging the paint. They will even remove black sharpie ("No, mom I didn't draw on the walls" - "Really, then why does it say "Keith" under the lovely picture?")

Not to try - anything that's a degreaser - most of those will remove the finish, as I discovered to my regret.:rolleyes1

I have cherry cabinets as well and use Old English Lemon Oil. Gets rid of the scudge and shines them up so nicely.

I have maple cabinets and use pledge wipes. Works great to get it all off.
I used to use murphy's oil on my floors and cabinets but I found that it left a residue.
I don't recommend the magic eraser. when you look at different angles after you've magically taken off whatever needs to come off you can see the marks it leaves when taking off the unwanted residue. It happened on our walls and it drove me so crazy I had to repaint them. I don't use it anymore but alot of people swear by it. I just think on cherry cabinets I would use something more geared towards wood surfaces. Good luck!

Our current house had been vacant for 9+months when we moved into it two years ago (it was a foreclosure with stuff left all over the house, including in the refrigerator---use your imagination!). I was told to use a product called Cabinet Magic (spray can like furniture polish, sold at Lowes/Home Depot/etc) by someone who cleaned out rental properties. That and a bag of rags AND two days of work and my oak cabinets were once again beautiful :)

Now I just use Old English on a rag for touch-ups.

I have maple cabinets and use pledge wipes. Works great to get it all off.
I used to use murphy's oil on my floors and cabinets but I found that it left a residue.
I don't recommend the magic eraser. when you look at different angles after you've magically taken off whatever needs to come off you can see the marks it leaves when taking off the unwanted residue. It happened on our walls and it drove me so crazy I had to repaint them. I don't use it anymore but alot of people swear by it. I just think on cherry cabinets I would use something more geared towards wood surfaces. Good luck!

I use the pledge wipes, but when they dry I use the pledge multipurpose spray and keep using the same wipe. If yours are really dirty you may need more than one wipe. WIth cooking and baking season, mine are more "dusty" from the flour and sugar so when I wipe htem down I use more than one, but usually I just use one wipe per week withthe bottle to back me up!

I like Murphy's too - and I also like Liquid Gold to give the wood a fresh rich shine look after I clean it, and believe me that does not happen very often in my household either !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter