• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

cheap baby bottles etc.

Gerber makes bottles that cost 99 cents each - you can get them at Target. They sell them in singles, 9oz and 5oz. Good luck!

They're just fine as far as bottles go. We started using those awhile after DD was born... LOL after we bought all the leaky, expensive, hard to clean bottles.

I have found no point in buying the super expensive ones!

They're just fine as far as bottles go. We started using those awhile after DD was born... LOL after we bought all the leaky, expensive, hard to clean bottles.

I have found no point in buying the super expensive ones!

We have used these with the younger DD since her special premie nipples fit on them.

They are fine if the baby likes a regular size nipple. The Avent ones and Playtex ones are the larger variety.

I was at Target the other day and they had a bottle shaped like a breast. I thought this was a great idea for a baby transitioning to bottles, but they were pretty expensive.

Thank you for the suggestions. The kind words are appreciated. The snarky remarks are precisely why I hesitate to write things on this board. Why is it that people have to pass judgment on others,especially when you dont' know all the circumstances? Don't understand it. But I really do appreciate the suggestions.

I don't think there were any snarky comments. Personal opinions, but I don't think anyone was trying to be rude.

If it's just an occasional shower here and there, it's really quite easy to hand express milk. Also, many LCs suggest using an alternative feeding method to bottles so there is no nipple confusion. Moms have used shot glasses (the babies kind of lap the milk like a kitten would), a medicine dropper, a spoon, etc.

If you would like some more information, PM me! :)

I don't think there were any snarky comments. Personal opinions, but I don't think anyone was trying to be rude.

Thanks. I certainly didn't think my post was snarky (I'm assuming it was my post that was perceived this way). I was actually trying to be helpful.

She does have a pump, she just can't get baby Ruby to take anything she has pumped. She's just started to try, she just wants the option so that she can get some help, and so that her husband can actually feed the baby.

I'm not sure what kind of bottles she is using but it may just be the nipple. Neither one of my kids would take a silicone nipple. I could only use latex. Maybe have her see if she can find some latex nipples to work with her current bottles. That made the world of difference for us! G/L!

I think she may have to try various bottle types realistically she may need to buy several until she finds on that the baby will accept. She should try giving the baby to Dad and taking a shower let him try like others have said while she is not available. This is a good way to start and if the baby doesn't like that particular bottle (keep trying on it a few times). I am guessing the reason is more than just that she has a hard time taking a shower. Having had 4 kids in 5 years, I was always able to take a shower. Sometimes I would have all the kids in the bathroom with me while I did it but I was able to get clean. If it is just about the ability to shower, she could nurse the baby prior to taking a shower or when the baby is sleeping. Even if she wants to go out with out the baby for an hour or two the baby will be fine with out her. She can nurse before she leaves and even if the baby cries while she is gone, the baby will really be ok. A couple hours away will do them both some good. I am sure she will find a bottle the baby will take.

She does have a pump, she just can't get baby Ruby to take anything she has pumped. She's just started to try, she just wants the option so that she can get some help, and so that her husband can actually feed the baby.
Our BF DD had trouble taking a bottle too. We introduced her to one at around 2 weeks old and she took it fine, then at around 7-8 weeks old she just decided she didn't like it any more. She tried on & off for months until she finally started taking it again at around 5 months old. The bottle she ended up taking was the Nuby Natural Touch so we've stuck with that one, but honestly I don't know that it had a whole lot to do with the type of bottle. I think she was just ready to be able to switch between breast & bottle at that point.

I would tell your friend to get a bottle with the wider nipple (the ones supposed to be more like the breast) but don't go crazy buying different types. Also have her leave the house & someone else offer the bottle to the baby. That could help as well.

My health insurance bought me a hospital-grade breast pump. It was really effective, but I didn't use it much. It was so much more work than simply nursing. By the time you pump, warm the bottles, feed the baby, then wash the bottles . . . you've put in about three times as much time as simply nursing.

Really, pumping only makes sense when you're working and are away from the baby.

I suspect the real problem is entertaining the two older kids while she nurses. At two months, she's undoubtably spending a great deal of her day feeding the new baby, and if her two are anything like my oldest, they're probably a little resentful of the intruder who's taking up mom's time -- for a time, my oldest was HORRIBLE while I was feeding her sister. When my husband was home, it was fine: he played with her or read to her; all she wanted was some attention. But while we were home alone during the day, it was a problem!

Could your friend put together a "quiet box" of coloring books, Viewmaster toys, etc. for the older ones and encourage them to sit quietly with her while she nurses? These things, of course, would ONLY be available during baby's feeding time. Or how about books on tape from the library? Or could she make a point of rewarding them with a sticker or something every time they behave while she's feeding the new baby? When they earn X number of stickers, they earn a trip to the park or the library. Or could she withhold TV from the older ones EXCEPT for the baby's feeding time?

I never had a problem with the bottle itself, it was always the nipple shape that would make or break their bottle feeding. The little time my youngest used a bottle (while still nursing) we did well with Nuk orthodontic silicone nipples. They could fit on the cheap/safe bottles I found at target (or any other regular bottle) as pictured here
http://www.amazon.com/NUK-Silicone-Orthodontic-Nipples-Slow/dp/B002KAR786
I do believe I had to increase the size of the whole and add a couple more as he got older.
Donna

I think it's great she realizes she needs help and is willing to find it. It's so hard when babies are little; you just get so exhausted. I hope she can figure something out, and for what it's worth, my husband took our baby at midnight last night and fed her. I was so tired I could barely walk. I loved that he could help in that regard, and I know he enjoys feeding the baby now and then. It's how he bonds with them until they are old enough to play video games. :rotfl2:

I am currently breastfeeding my 5th, and she is so non bottle.... we have tried! I am not currently "needed" at work, so I rolled my 12 wks into 20 wks off - more time than I planned, but works o.k. for this situation. Anyway...... I have had the best luck with NUK orthodontic nipples. The hole is not at the tip -it is on the side and you face this side up in the mouth. they worked for 4 of the kids... I don't have this one convinced yet. I don't recommend the MAM - my young one is horrified and offended when my husband tries to offer this one.

As far as the shower debate... something I do when necessary is take the baby in the shower with me. i put her on her little tub cot at the far end of the tub, and I pick her up and put her down as necessary so we both get out bath and I don't have to worry that she is out in the other room screaming or missing me. It is actually quite soothing for her.... she completely relaxes in my arms - of course the water isn't spraying at her head or face. this practice may raise some eyebrows here, but I don't really care. And, sometimes you have to get creative to get it all done with large families..

Your post brings back so many memories. My DD would not take a bottle. I tried EVERY kind on the market place. Well, actually grandma and DH tried everything. After a couple weeks of constantly offering the bottle (once I went back to work), DD finally started drinking from the bottle. In the end, she ended up using the Avent, but I honestly think the issue for her was not the bottle type, just merely the fact that it was a bottle. I tried every kind of bottle that I could find, even tried a spoon and any suggestions that were remotely reasonable.

I don't have any great advice, but I probably wouldn't invest in more types of bottles if I were ever in the same situation again. It just required a ton of patience. I wish I had some miracle solution!

Good luck!

My nearly 8 mo old has also never taken a bottle. We've tried. No dice, the girl knows where the good stuff is LOL. I wish she'd take a bottle on occasion so I could go to scrapbook night or to a movie with friends. But, she's 8 months and soon enough she won't be so dependent on me for food. It really does go by so fast. :(

I have 3 children and shower daily before I take them to school at 7:25am (the older 2), so I put baby in the bouncy right in the bathroom and jump in quickly! When DH is home he takes her and then I can take a long hot shower LOL!

It is hard when it's your first (not sure what number baby this is) or the baby is a fussy one.

Good luck to her!

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who has a 2 month old baby. They are up to their eyeballs in debt, for many reasons....(please, no comments about this part please)....she has been breastfeeding, and wants to continue, but wants to pump and use bottles if she can, simply because she would like to take a shower every once in awhile, and that is clearly not happening right now. They have tried two different kinds of bottles, but the baby screams. So she is going to try to experiment, but can't afford to go out and buy 8 differnet kinds to try, especially since it's almost impossible to buy just one in a package. Any suggestions? Is there a great website to get them, or any great coupons, discounts that anyone knows of? I am going to start sending her diaper coupons, etc. But not sure about this one.

I always went with platex nursers, especially for freezing milk to have on hand.

Check at the pediatricians office they often have ready to feed samples.

Email to companies asking for coupons or samples for a colicky baby,

Generally it is not the bottle/nipple, a breast feed baby wants the skin, the smell the nipple goes between the tounge and roof of the mouth and whole entire different feel.

Another thing, my bf babies had a two week cycles, of nonstop nursing to increase the stimulation to make more milk. During the time, they were an appendage hanging from my chest.

I can sympathise with her I had two like that. One was 9 months, the first 6 months until some ceral and fruit were introduced; the other was 2 yrs and 10 months, well the last year was milk only because of allergy to all formulas. I even had to keep a no milk diet, but I am lactose intolerant too.

But at 2, yes I said it would never happen, she crawled under my shirt, whipped it out saying mine, YIKES.....

But the first year was tough, it got easier, but not great to try and do anything. I had to get back to work.
I was a police officer, had a break in the shift to run home and nurse, taking off a gun belt and bullet proof vest is not fun.....
I had to pump at work too.

One night on a stake out I had to tell the coworker if it lasted much longer I would be in real rough shape, quizically he looked at me. I tried to tell him soon I would be leaking all down my uniform. I was lucky to get a back up and ran to a mini mart to milk them out...
Mean while a kid at home was not happy and dad had to drive her around in a car...
Mind you we were., 41 and 49 years old. The others were not near as bad.

I remembered something else someone in a similar situation told me when I was pregnant with first DD. She could try wearing a t-shirt for a little while and then have the person feeding the baby hold the t-shirt where the baby can smell it while they are giving her a bottle.

As far as the shower debate... something I do when necessary is take the baby in the shower with me. i put her on her little tub cot at the far end of the tub, and I pick her up and put her down as necessary so we both get out bath and I don't have to worry that she is out in the other room screaming or missing me. It is actually quite soothing for her.... she completely relaxes in my arms - of course the water isn't spraying at her head or face. this practice may raise some eyebrows here, but I don't really care. And, sometimes you have to get creative to get it all done with large families..

That is a great idea! Never thought of that one! I used to put my DS in a bouncy seat in the bathroom and leave the shower curtain partially open so he could see me. Your idea is even better!

I didn't breast feed but I find the debate of weather the woman should be able to take a bath without using a bottle or whether there is any reason to give the baby a bottle a bit silly. Why do women insist on judging each others parenting styles?

I know plenty of women who bottle fed exclusively and still had a hard time finding any time for themselves. And I would think that is what this mother wants; not so much "getting clean in a shower" as the time alone to rejuvenate. The ideas of putting the baby in eye sight or in the shower are great in a pinch (and I have done both) but just doesn't give the mom the two minutes of alone time that she probably really needs.

Like I said, I didn't breast feed but when we had babies at the daycare that did, their mom's mostly used the Playtex bottles with the liners. I know she can't run out and buy a whole set of one kind just for it not to work; but I think I would buy one each of two different kinds and then try. It will probably take several times of introducing a certain bottle before the baby adjusts to the nipple. Maybe she could ask her ped for a suggestion too.

Either way she should never, ever feel guilty of needing time away from the baby or for giving the baby a bottle (even if it has that evil formula in it instead of breast milk :scared1:!). She is human and has needs like everyone else and babies have thrived with bottles of breast milk for years; no reason to think her child will be any different.

Both my boys HATED bottles & it was a HUGE struggle when I went back to work. In the end the Avent bottles ended up being the best fit for us.

In addition to trying different nipples/bottles tell her to try all different scenarios when feeding the baby a bottle. Sometimes they know mom has the good stuff & won't take a bottle from her or if she's in the room, but will from dad if mom's not around. Other times they will only take a bottle from mom - somehow they've associated milk with mom. Sometimes they'll only take formula from a bottle since it tastes different. Babies can be such obstinant creatures, LOL. My oldest son wouldn't take a bottle while being held - he had to be under his Pooh arch toy. Weird, I know, but he would be mesmerized by Tigger & didn't pay attention to the source of his milk. Neither of my boys liked thawed breast milk and one of them would only drink milk that had never been frozen.

Not being snarky here at all, but for me the whole bottle issue was extremely stressful. If I hadn't had to leave my sons two days a week for work I would have prefered to nurse exclusively and have someone help in another way to give a break. It would have been so much easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter