• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chase Sapphire Trip Insurance & Disney Vacation Account

DHCruise

Mouseketeer
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum.

I recently got the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) card. I was planning on using this card to put funds into my Disney Vacation Account, which should trigger the "3X's Travel" points. BUT, I also wanted to take advantage of the CSR travel insurance.

I'm just curious if anyone here has done this, and would Chase still cover the travel even though I would essentially be paying for the cruise through the Disney Vacation Account, rather than paying for the Cruise "Directly".

Ok, so I called Chase, and it seems as though as long as any portion is paid with the CSR, the Travel Insurance will kick in.

Ok, so I called Chase, and it seems as though as long as any portion is paid with the CSR, the Travel Insurance will kick in.
Huh. I paid about $300 for travel insurance last week. Need to call chase and figure this out.

If you have Chase Sapphire Reserve card, I would definitely give them a call. They did mention that we could still cross compare what they cover to other travel insurance. I heard good things about the CSR trip insurance, so I'll take my chances with them, rather than going to TravelGuard, which we used on our last cruise. The insurance for the Panama Cruise is $$$$

If you have Chase Sapphire Reserve card, I would definitely give them a call. They did mention that we could still cross compare what they cover to other travel insurance. I heard good things about the CSR trip insurance, so I'll take my chances with them, rather than going to TravelGuard, which we used on our last cruise. The insurance for the Panama Cruise is $$$$
I think I have 15 days to get my money back (travel Guard through Costco). I'd love to be able to put that money toward the cruise.

I also love the CSR card. We got it at the end of last year and already got our $300 travel credit back (for last year and another $300 travel credit for this year), got my Global Entry membership fee of $100 credited back. We also used our bonus points for signing up for the card for a trip to Portugal later this year. So far this card has been great.

MJ

Last edited:

That's interesting. Typically, these policies require the entire cost to be charged to the card to kick in. Perhaps I should look into this card despite of its steep annual fee.

LAX

Another CSR fan here! The annual fee looks steep on the surface but you get a $300 credit on travel charges every year. That brings you down to $150. If you get Precheck or Global Entry, that saves you another $100. And the 3% on travel and restaurants add up quick. You have until March 11 to apply at a branch for the huge 100000 point bonus.

That's interesting. Typically, these policies require the entire cost to be charged to the card to kick in. Perhaps I should look into this card despite of its steep annual fee.

LAX
Are you near a branch? In branch I think the sign on bonus is still 100k points (worth $1,500 in the UR portal). I've also heard you can book Disney cruises using ultimate rewards points if you call in.

I think I have 15 days to get my money back (travel Guard through Costco). I'd love to be able to put that money toward the cruise.

Sorry, i've been away for a while. But did you get a chance to call CSR and verify if the travel insurance would work for you? Yah, the steep fee steered us away at first, but the $300, the 3 x's points, plus the lounge access at airports are very nice perks!

Sorry, i've been away for a while. But did you get a chance to call CSR and verify if the travel insurance would work for you? Yah, the steep fee steered us away at first, but the $300, the 3 x's points, plus the lounge access at airports are very nice perks!
Yes they confirmed it would work. That saves me $260. So far I've paid $450 and received $542 in travel credits (still have $58 left), been reimbursed for tsa precheck, and used $1,500 from the sign on bonus to pay for a week at cabana bay (Universal) and round trip tickets to Orlando. Plus my points from chase freedom are worth 50% more.

I heard about that Chase Freedom trick with the CSR. I need to look in to that too. Glad to hear they confirmed the travel insurance!

thanks for this info. I had no idea that if you put money into a Disney Vacation account with your CSR it counts towards travel. I've been buying gift cards at Staples using my chase ink for 5X points but sometimes that is just a pain to do.

Another CSR fan here. I got 5 round trips to FL on those 100k points! And gifted the global entry as we already have ours.

How does the gifting work? Can it be for anyone? What about the Chase Freedom trick? How does that work? TIA.

LAX

How does the gifting work? Can it be for anyone? What about the Chase Freedom trick? How does that work? TIA.

LAX
Transfer your freedom points to CSR. Then when you redeem them in the portal you get 50% more. Then rotating categories are 7.5%.

I was excited about the CSR trip insurance (it's free!!), but one important thing I noticed, is that pre-existing conditions are not covered. So, if that may pose an issue for you, you may want to look elsewhere for your coverage...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter