Charleston, SC: What to do?

Zippa D Doodah

<font color=red>Suffering from Fairy Alienation.
I had thought about taking DW on a quick trip to WDW, but decided on Charleston, SC instead. We'l be there for 3 nights starting 7/29 -wait for it because this is the best part -WITH NO KIDS :banana: :banana: :cool1: :cool1:

Anyhow, in all my travels I have never visited this lovely city. Someone tell me what we must be sure to do. Any recommendations on where to stay (less than $100 per night)?

The Francis Marion Hotel is awsome....more pricey than you're asking, but DH took me there for a surprise trip for our anniversary. We ate at The Swamp Fox and it is by far one of the best meals I've ever had.
We did the Open Markets which are a lot of fun. The carriage rides around Charleston were fun for us because we like to see all the historical stuff. And we did a walking ghost tour. It was a little lame and my shoes were killing my feet, but it was late at night and fun none the less. We've also stayed at the Holiday Inn in the Historic District and it was very nice.

We loved Charleston we stayed at the Embassy Suites more expensive than you want but they include a full cooked to order breakfast and a 2 hour cocktail hour so its worth it. The hotel is the former location of the Citadell and walking distince to a lot of thiings. I liked visiting the plantations and DH liked the air craft carrier we also thought the ghost tour was lame but took the historic trolley tour and liked it. have a great trip

Thanks for the info so far. I'll be looking into some of those activities. We might go over $100 p/n on the room. We just don't want the way upscale hotels on this particular trip.

Days Inn Mt. Pleasant is cheap. It's clean, but nothing special. We stayed for our anniversary last year. We were almost too hot to enjoy ourselves this time last year. I wouldn't plan on doing the markets, just in case it's the same for you. We loved going to the beaches. Both Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms had good visitor parking. Visit the shops on King St. (my favorite is American Apparel-buy some good t-shirts for me!!). Have fun!!

chaspitt185.jpg

Just wanted to say Welcome to Charleston!:goodvibes

I was born and raised there, but left 7 years ago. Our families still live there and we go home two-three times a year.

Hum, things to do and see:

The SC Aquarium
Walk on the Battery, where the first shots of the Civil War rang out
Visit Fort Sumter
Take a carriage tour
walk down King Street (little boutiques, as well as the usual stores.)
Visit the market
See the true slave market
Go across the bridge into Mt Pleasant, or take a boat to Patriot's Point from the Aquarium and go to the Yorktown (air craft carrier)
See the Hunley (first submarine)

I'll think of more in a bit.

Jo

Gotta kiss your wife in the gazebo in White Point Gardens. See the pineapple fountain at Waterfront Park and go swing in the swings on the pier at Waterfront park. We like the Old South Carriage Co for tours and take a ghost walk. We like Hominy Grill, 82 Queen and Poogan's Porch. Stop and get a praline on Market St. Yum! Shop along King St (Margararitavilles is there) and just have fun. Love Charleston!! Oh Check on prices at Best Western King Charles Inn. Stayed there and it's close to everything. Love Mills House but it pricey.

Oh, and ZDD-I recognize you from AC-T. I don't post over there, but I read it pretty frequently (although I did post today, but it's a rarity)

Oh, and ZDD-I recognize you from AC-T. I don't post over there, but I read it pretty frequently (although I did post today, but it's a rarity)

OK... I'm having an embarassing brain cramp. What is AC-T? I'm sure I must post there too, but am a little slow on the uptake today.
:flower3:

I've never used Priceline before, but am thinking about trying them for this trip. Any advice on that front? A word of explanation: For the money we were going to use for the proposed WDW trip we've decided to take two short trips (3 nights each) within the next month. One for DW and I to Charleston, and another for the whole family to Myrtle Beach. We're locked and loaded on the MB trip (been there, done that, know my way around well).

I'm just trying to squeeze the best I can out of the Charleston trip for me and my sweetie. We are really simple people. It's gonna be a treat just to lay around in the hotel room -living the vampire life for a few days (come out when the sun goes down :laughing: ). I know we'll want to do some stuff during the day -hit a plantation of two, maybe see this cool cemetery I've read about (we like cemeteries :cool2: ), shop these markets some of you are speaking of. Neither one of us is into the Civil War stuff, so we won't need a tour of Fort Sumter or the Hunley since we're on such a short trip.

Local newspaper-I think it's you, anyway! Your location made me pretty sure...

Local newspaper-I think it's you, anyway! Your location made me pretty sure...

Ooooooooh. Asheville Citizen-Times. I used to live in Asheville, up until 2 years ago. I live in Randolph county now. I read the paper up in Asheville but never posted on their site. Must be some other handsome, witty Tarheel you're thinking of. ;)

Zippa: We love Charleston. Try the Best Western King Charles Inn for your trip--looks like they have rooms available for your time period for around $110 per night, not including tax. It does include free parking, which is rare in Charleston. The location is awesome--two blocks from the city market. It i nothing fancy, but the location and free parking make it great.

We've done two plantation tours--Middleton Place, and one that was a little closer (can't remember the name). We really enjoyed Middleton Place and it has a decent restaurant on site which has a varied menu. We spent most of the day there, with a carriage ride, and garden tour.

We've done two plantation tours--Middleton Place, and one that was a little closer (can't remember the name). We really enjoyed Middleton Place and it has a decent restaurant on site which has a varied menu. We spent most of the day there, with a carriage ride, and garden tour.

That sounds nice. :thumbsup2 I'm off to google it now

Ooooooooh. Asheville Citizen-Times. I used to live in Asheville, up until 2 years ago. I live in Randolph county now. I read the paper up in Asheville but never posted on their site. Must be some other handsome, witty Tarheel you're thinking of. ;)
How funny! There's a guy with the same picture (I know) and uses a name that is (I think) ZDD, so it made sense...Oh well. I used to live in the Asheville area. Born and raised. Handsome and witty, couldn't be a tarheel-must be a member of the Wolfpack!!!

How funny! There's a guy with the same picture (I know) and uses a name that is (I think) ZDD, so it made sense...Oh well. I used to live in the Asheville area. Born and raised. Handsome and witty, couldn't be a tarheel-must be a member of the Wolfpack!!!

OMG! I thought I was the last living Leon Russell fan on the planet.

Well, there's some guy there who uses it...I knew it was someone, but I had no idea who. So maybe you and that guy are two of a kind, and had no idea.

My sister is thinking of having her wedding in Charleston. I've never been there. She is looking at Magnoila Plantation and Middleton Place. Both look beautiful on the websites. Any opinions on wedding settings, or fun places for rehersal dinner?

I think the best bet for a quick trip might be to try to find a place downtown to stay. There is so much to do within walking distance.

Here are my best bets:

Go to the Market
The Battery and Waterfront Park (swing on the porch swings)
Walk some of the streets near the Battery- the old homes are beautiful and there is so much history
Some have said the ghost walks are lame, but the one I went on was great through "Original Charleston Walks" and it's a night time activity
There is a Farmer's Market in Marion Square on the weekend, also has great food stands and some music.
King Street for shopping

Poogan's Porch is a great restaurant... there are many great places to eat that are not your typical chains

If you try to do the beach, try at Folly Beach. You can walk down and get a great view of the Morris Island lighthouse.

Hope you have a great time. Charleston is a beautiful city.

We won't care much about the beach, if only because we are doing the family trip to MB in just a few weeks. Sounds like I really need to think about staying downtown.

Love, love, love Poogan's Porch. Just don't go in the winter because the seats near the windows are drafty! I love the fried green tomato BLT!

We like to take people on a Gray Line Bus Tour if they haven't been to Charleston before. The drivers take you by all the beautiful historical buildings and always have amusing little anecdotes about the history and occupants of said buildings. They have way more information than I do and also that way I don't have to drive. We can just relax and let someone else do the work.

The market is a definite...so many neat foods and goodies available. I just love Charleston! Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter