Charging for Points

FSUSammy

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure how to even search for this so figured I'd just ask. I have a room in April at the Poly where I'm using my points. I'm staying with 3 other friends that stay because we are all running the Dark Side races that weekend. My friends need to know how much they owe me and of course I have no clue because to me it's points.

How do I go about calculating how much they'd owe me for their portion of the room?

That's up to you, if you don't care because they are just points, can I be your friend? :-)

You can charge them your dues for the points, you can charge, dues and what the points cost based on contract length left, you can charge what you would get if you rented the points, or you can just gift them.

:earsboy: Bill

That's really up to you to decide how much you'd like to get reimbursed. Some people might only charge based on the dues and number of points used for the stay, others might charge based on how much it would cost to rent out those points, and others might charge based on some portion of the cost to buy into DVC in the first place.

Thanks! I just wasn't sure if there was some common way of doing this. I'm a new owner and this will be the first time staying there with friends and they all insist on paying and won't take no for an answer.

You also have to consider who is sleeping on a pull out couch and the Murphy bed...and do those sleeping arrangements really merit full priced rental?

If points rent for $15 than $5/point is a basic split cost (to get a pull out couch?)
$2.5/point would be enough to cover their portion of dues

Also consider where you would stay if you didn't have points. No point in charging more than a value room if you used to do that ... Unless they volunteered paying a bit more to stay "deluxe"

I would use a calculation like this (although it may take some work):

Take year that your contract expires – (minus) the year that you purchased = total years on your contract

# of points your purchased x (times) # of years left on your contract = total points purchased

# of points x (times) what you paid per point = your buy-in cost

$ buy in cost / (divided) # of total points left = $dollar per point (or what you paid per point)

$ dollar per point + (plus) $ maintenance fee/annual dues per point = $ all-in cost per point

$cost per point x (times) # of points for your stay = total cost in dollars

An example for BLT purchased at $170 per point in 2015:

2060-2015 = 45 years

100 points x 45 years = 4500 points total

100 points x $170 = $17,000 total buy in cost

$17,000/4500 points = $3.78 cost per point at the time of purchase

$3.78 (purchase price per point) x $5.28 (maintenance fee) = $9.06

$9.06 x 150 points (just making up a number since I’m not sure of the total points you'll be using) = $1359 for the cost of the room in dollars

I charged my brother $150/night for poly including weekend days. I think it ended up about $10pp.

Last edited:

Take year that your contract expires – (minus) the year that you purchased = total years on your contract

# of points your purchased x (times) # of years left on your contract = total points purchased

$ buy in cost / (divided) # of total points left = $dollar per point (or what you paid per point)

$ dollar per point + (plus) $ maintenance fee/annual dues per point = $ all-in cost per point

2060-2015 = 45 years

$9.06 x 150 points (just making up a number since I’m not sure of the total points you'll be using) = $1359 for the cost of the room in dollars

Too complicated. Friends and family rate = $10. Rentals to strangers = $13-15.

If it was a cabin on a lake and I had friends stay with me, I would not dream of charging them. If they wanted to rent it while I'm not there, it's a different story.

If you are getting a larger room to accommodate them it would be ok to charge them the dues on the extra points.

2060-2015 = 45 years

Really? These are the op's friends and not their FIL or MIL. Just having some fun with your post.

Seariously, if you would be going with them or with out them, you are out the same number of points. Me? Assuming that I would be going alone if they were not going with you, I would not charge them a penny. Hopefully they would at least buy dinner and drinks, but if not, nothing lost.

Honestly I would not ask a friend for a dime, but if they feel obligated, I would just split the annual dues for the number of points used for the reservation 4 ways. Another option would be for them to pick up you dinners for the week.

You are going anyway and getting use out of your room the full time for the trip. It is not like you are doing without and skipping a year's reservation. Outside of having more company to hang out with and have fun with, it is no different then if you were travelling alone from a usage standpoint.

When we travel with other adults and they are staying with us, we do not charge them for the points because so far it has just been immediate family. They have all always paid for some of my meals and more than their share of groceries (if applicable). If it was a friend and I was booking them their own room, then that might change, but for now that is how we do it.

I wasn't sure how to even search for this so figured I'd just ask. I have a room in April at the Poly where I'm using my points. I'm staying with 3 other friends that stay because we are all running the Dark Side races that weekend. My friends need to know how much they owe me and of course I have no clue because to me it's points.

How do I go about calculating how much they'd owe me for their portion of the room?
For situations where you'd just split up a cash price, I'd use $10 a point and divide it evenly including yourself. For 4 people, I'd say $2.50 per point and then round it off. For a 1 or 2 BR where some are getting better than others, I might round it down somewhat. There are all types of ways you could do it from dues to a full spreadsheet, I see no reason to make it complicated.

I agree with the post that if you were going to book a studio for yourself anyways I wouldn't charge. If i were getting a larger accommodation then I'd charge the difference in points I needed to use. I'd just have them pay for some of your meals while there if they are insisting on paying.

Not everyone charges friends/family. Just in case you were looking for validation on that. If I'm going, I'm going. I'm not charging my cousin for our upcoming Princess stay and I didn't charge my friend for Wine and Dine. I was going anyway. When we invite extended family we get the fun of having them with us and we get to experience a bigger room than we would book for the three of us; so we get something from it.

Now if a friend or relative wanted to use my points and wasn't inviting me, then I'd charge something, but with my friends and relatives I can't picture that happening.

While I was waiting for ROFR last year, I sent out an email to my immediate family saying what my rental rates would be using a calculation. I figured by putting it in writing way up front I wouldn't have to worry about it in the future. However, if family is sharing my room with me then their "payment" is keeping me company.

For reference, below are the rates I came up with:

Close Family Rate: $2.03 + Dues for current year

Close Friend Rate: Family Rate + ((Broker Rate – Family Rate) / 2)

“Friend” and “Family” Rate: Broker Rate

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter