Charging a scooter

Twende

Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....
DH will be doing parts of our next trip with a rental scooter. We drive our own vehicle while in Disney so we need a scooter that comes apart. He is a large guy, not Pooh sized like me:rotfl:, but just a big guy.

What particular type of scooter do you recommend? Also do we have to take the entire scooter into the room to recharge it or can we only haul the battery part, the heaviest part from my understanding, into the room? :confused3

You should check out Buena Vista Scooter's web site to see what models are available for rent. My mother had bad luck with the scooters she rented from Apple and Scooter Vacations, but I doubt that all their scooters are lemons. The model she rented from Scooter Vacations was able to be disassembled for travel. We stayed at POFQ and Pop Century with the scooters and did not have to bring them into the rooms. There were electrical outlets right outside both rooms where she parked it overnight to charge. She also charged them occasionally inside of the parks. For example, the is an outlet available for public use right outside of Writer's Stop in DHS. Just remember to remove the key. :goodvibes

Just about all ECVs are able to be easily disassembled. However, most of the "standard" size must be assembled to charge the batteries. The "travel" ECVs, such as the Pride Go-Go have the part to plus in the charging cord on the battery pack, so that can be removed and done in the room.

The standard U-1 batteries for standard ECVs weight 24-30 pounds each. The travel ECVs use smaller batteries with two batteries in an enclosed, sealed, pack and the pack itself weighs 20-40 pounds depending on the included batteries.

Hmmmmmmm....Great information!
We are doing a split stay starting with AKL. I know we can just drive it into the room and recharge overnight there.
The problem is with OKW. We are getting a 3 bdrm villa and I know steps are normally involved. I hate to ask for an elevator building just because of the scooter. We do not need any special accommodations for the bathroom this trip.

I was hoping just to take the battery pack up to charge it. This gives me some good info to talk about when I reserve a scooter! Thanks!:thumbsup2

I rented a V10 from www.yellowscooters.com It is rated up to 400 pounds, and has a range of 28 miles per charge. It only dropped below the full charge indicator once, while going uphill to the parking lot at the end of the day, then the full charge light returned when I hit level ground again. It disassembled quickly (1-3 minutes) and took about the same amount of time to put back together. I did have to take the whole thing to the room to charge, but I was okay with that. The batteries weighed a lot, and I wouldn't have wanted to have to carry them from the car to the room.

I had read about people having their scooters die on them mid day, and wanted to avoid that happening to me, so I went for something that was more than I needed. It was only marginally more expensive than a less robust model. I would rent from them again, the same model.

I'm 350lbs and use the deluxe models from walker without a problem, even on multi park days. You can charge through the day by contacting a park attendant should you have charging issues bit I've never had the need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter