• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Charge for parking at Contemporary?

If Disney wants to overprice themselves out of business, that is their business decision to make.

I'm wondering why a guy who invested in a long term DVC contract wouldn't mind if they priced themselves out of business so that he could get a better parade viewing spot? I'm thinking that crowded parks are better for me as a DVC owner - even if it means parades are uncomfortably crowded.

I'm wondering why a guy who invested in a long term DVC contract wouldn't mind if they priced themselves out of business so that he could get a better parade viewing spot? I'm thinking that crowded parks are better for me as a DVC owner - even if it means parades are uncomfortably crowded.
Because I bought DVC because I enjoy going to WDW, for reasons including WDW is guest friendly. If going to WDW becomes unpleasant, maybe you'll be happy because somehow you'll feel that if WDW is so overcrowded that it's unpleasant, it makes your DVC ownership worth more. My DVC ownership is worth more if using it is a pleasant experience.

Because I bought DVC because I enjoy going to WDW, for reasons including WDW is guest friendly. If going to WDW becomes unpleasant, maybe you'll be happy because somehow you'll feel that if WDW is so overcrowded that it's unpleasant, it makes your DVC ownership worth more. My DVC ownership is worth more if using it is a pleasant experience.

Yes, but if Disney increases ticket prices, will your DVC still be a pleasant experience? If they go out of business, will your DVC still be a pleasant experience? If you have to sell for $30 a point because Disney is putting themselves out of business, will your DVC still be a pleasant experience?

The actions required to remedy the "faults" you see will have consequences. You have a long term interest in Disney as a business because of your contract with DVC. Are you prepared for those consequences?

I am an outside observer to this debate because we don't drive at Disney World. If we opt to drive down (from Michigan), we park the car when we get there and it doesn't move until the day we leave. That being said, I fully support Disney's decision to charge people to park at a resort if they are not registered guests. I hear the argument of "what if we want to eat/shop/hang out there? Why should WE have to pay $20?" Here's why...there are guests of that resort who have vehicles that need parking spaces. Why should someone paying $200-$400+ per night be forced to circle the lot like a shopper at the mall on Black Friday in order to park their vehicle? When we aren't staying at a DVC resort, we stay at Pop Century. Folks are getting all irate about being "forced" to pay to park at a resort that they are not staying at...tough. Nobody is forcing you to visit that particular resort so it is up to you to decide if it's worth the $20 parking fee to drive and park there. I will bet that Disney is far more concerned about keeping their guests paying $200-$400/night at a deluxe resort happy than those staying at Pop Century who want to drive over to the Contemporary for dinner.

A reasonable compromise would be to determine how many guests of a particular resort actually have a vehicle. Then, determine how many spaces in the resort's lot remain. Once the remaining "non-guest" spots are full, then the lot is full and NOBODY can park there. Guests shouldn't get "locked out" because there would be a method to track the number of registered guest vehicles on any given day.

Yes, but if Disney increases ticket prices, will your DVC still be a pleasant experience? If they go out of business, will your DVC still be a pleasant experience? If you have to sell for $30 a point because Disney is putting themselves out of business, will your DVC still be a pleasant experience?

The actions required to remedy the "faults" you see will have consequences. You have a long term interest in Disney as a business because of your contract with DVC. Are you prepared for those consequences?
I know that my purchase of DVC is not a business investment, and the value of my timeshare is completely contingent and dependent upon the actions of Disney. If they decide to make a "Lone Ranger World" and it bombs, more people will to to Universal. If Disney decides "guest be damned," then more people will go elsewhere. I can't help that.

I would like to see a resort guest only parking section at BLT and BWV. They could just have a gate that you tap your MB to to enter and exit. I shouldn't have to worry if I'm going to find a parking space when I return back to my resort when we leave. I know one evening my husband had to circle the lot for 30 minutes waiting for someone to leave......then right to the front desk to complain.

I know that my purchase of DVC is not a business investment, and the value of my timeshare is completely contingent and dependent upon the actions of Disney. If they decide to make a "Lone Ranger World" and it bombs, more people will to to Universal. If Disney decides "guest be damned," then more people will go elsewhere. I can't help that.

In that case, the business decision they are making is to charge offsite guests for parking and to let numbers into the theme parks to make it uncomfortable to watch parades. If those decisions make your stay that much less enjoyable, there isn't a lot you can do other than not go to Disney.

I am surprised it took them this long to implement. Heck $20 at the Contemporary is still not bad to be close to the park exit. If you really want to visit, pay the piper or take the monorail to the resort.

Parking for free at the Contemporary has been a Florida resident past time for years. It is the locals (with cheap annual passes) abusing the parking more than the out of towners.

OK, I just called Member Services and this is what the CM told me: As I am staying on site, I don't have to pay to park at another resort. Since I am staying on site, I don't have to pay to park at a Park. Therefore, I will not have to pay to park at the Contemporary because I'm not trying to get away with not paying for parking. Just tell them the guard you're going on the tour.

I asked about the postings, about having to pay at the Contemporary. She just repeated that as an on-site guest, I don't have to pay.

well darn that still doesn't help me, as we are staying offsite.
BUT it does say ON their site, that when taking this tour you are to park at the contemporary.
guess I'll be calling tomorrow ( possibly as my day is full)

well darn that still doesn't help me, as we are staying offsite.
BUT it does say ON their site, that when taking this tour you are to park at the contemporary.
guess I'll be calling tomorrow ( possibly as my day is full)
Good luck, and please post the result.

I'm glad Disney is closing the loophole allowing people to park for free at the Contemporary. And possibly at BWV. However people using this loophole won't be stopped. They want to park for free so they'll move to the next convenient option: parking at GF or Poly, possibly WL. Or at DS and then use SSR buses, and this already happens a lot. I hope this is only the first step to fix the problem once and for all. I expect DS parking to require paying for offsite guests once all the work will be finished there (Universal City Walk already requires paying for parking even for onsite guests and it's packed full of locals nevertheless).

I'm glad they are trying something to alleviate the problem for the resort guests. Something else to work on is keeping the SSR busses free from all the people parking at DS to avoid having to pay for theme park parking.
I truly don't think there are all that many people parking at DS for park access. Sure, there are some. But, once they realize that it's going to take them time to drive there, then park, then go to SSR which is a 20+ min walk, wait for a bus to come (could be 5 mins, could be 30), go through the resort (about 15-20 mins) and then drive to a park? You're looking at a substantial chunk of time

It really wouldn't make it difficult to put in CMs at the security booths to accept payment. They could even make it MB readable...if you're an onsite guest, no cost. But in all reality? Both the CR and BW have times of year that no one other than those paying to stay at the resort are allowed to enter and park. They put up jersey barriers for crying out loud!!! Food and Wine weekends are a nightmare at BW...so they stopped allowing people to park there.

I spend close to 3 weeks at WDW each year....I don't think Disney owes me anything. It's my choice to go, or not! I used the DDP when it first came out. Now? Not so much. And I stopped eating out so often....did a lot more counter service and in room eating. TiW was a great thing...but with the increase in price, it is no longer worth it for me. So, even less eating out. Will Disney care? Probably not. BUT...if enough people react the same way? Maybe the powers that be will see an unwanted trend! I did upgrade my AP so I could add the MM to it due to a trip in January with a daughter that doesn't go very often...she will really appreciate the photos. But.....I went with the AP with blocked out dates. And if I choose to travel at those times (especially if my youngest is working there at Christmas), I certainly won't be going to a park! I refuse to pay for addtl days. We'll go to US/IoA or SW and eat off-site.

ok, talked to 5 CM agents on the phone today trying to get some info, & of course got some conflicting.
1st called to make our reservations for the train tour. during the taking of info she read off a bunch of stuff I needed to know INCLUDING we are to park at the contemporary. I then interrupted & asked do i have to pay for parking there since we are not staying at a resort? uh, she didn't know she was in recreations & is only reading from her info sheet.
transfer #2 I asked about do i have to pay to park there if I do NOT have a dining reservation or resort ressie......... she said I don't know & never heard of the resort charging $20 to park there.
transfer #3 to a resorts agent. asked same questions, she replied, no never have they charged $20 to park there, don't know anything about parking for train tour
transfer #4 nope nada no idea
transfer #5 started from beginning,explaining about tour says ON their website & agent taking booking about parking at contemporary. now this person called me back 3 times after talking to the contemporary & magic kingdom & some other place for clarification.. She 1st said nope we cannot park at contemporary for any reason other than Dining. then it was ok to park for tour IF we are staying at another resort, even when I pointed out on their webpage for the tour is said to park at contemporary, she said well it is universally accepted on their propertys that is means NO parking there.. I say no it doesn't. she said it "means" that :sad2: ok, but what about the $20? she said no how no way did they EVER charge that, even talking to the contemporary itself.. nope.
I said but i read it! she said nope those sites were NOT disney,, I said I read the announcement on over 5 different sites,, she said NO!
.ok, back & forth, she said i HAVE to find another way to get to the tour if I am NOT staying at a resort. ok, how can I? when the monorail doesn't start till 8 am & I have to be there before 7?? finally she comes back & says yes I can park at the contemporary, just show my reservation #. but I have to move vehicle after tour ( yes, I understood this). I ask, ok, do I have to pay the $20? she says no there is not a $20 fee or ever was one or will be!
arrrghhhhh:scared:

ok,so what came out of this conversations is,,, no one knows about a $20 fee, everyone gives different info & does not have a central info place.
so we figured out at least for the train tour, you park at contemporary ( no other way to get in park that early)

but still have no info on that $20 parking fee for everyone else is there another thread that has people saying they paid a fee??

oh, i also asked, what happens for people who just want to shop there? ( that happens) one year we headed to all the resorts to get the smooshed quarters foe their 25th anniversary,,if we would have had to pay $20 each resort............... or even ONE sheesh........... she had no answer:badpc:

ok, talked to 5 CM agents on the phone today trying to get some info, & of course got some conflicting.
1st called to make our reservations for the train tour. during the taking of info she read off a bunch of stuff I needed to know INCLUDING we are to park at the contemporary. I then interrupted & asked do i have to pay for parking there since we are not staying at a resort? uh, she didn't know she was in recreations & is only reading from her info sheet.
transfer #2 I asked about do i have to pay to park there if I do NOT have a dining reservation or resort ressie......... she said I don't know & never heard of the resort charging $20 to park there.
transfer #3 to a resorts agent. asked same questions, she replied, no never have they charged $20 to park there, don't know anything about parking for train tour
transfer #5 started from beginning,explaining about tour says ON their website & agent taking booking about parking at contemporary. now this person called me back 3 times after talking to the contemporary & magic kingdom & some other place for clarification.. She 1st said nope we cannot park at contemporary for any reason other than Dining. then it was ok to park for tour IF we are staying at another resort, even when I pointed out on their webpage for the tour is said to park at contemporary, she said well it is universally accepted on their propertys that is means NO parking there.. I say no it doesn't. she said it "means" that :sad2: ok, but what about the $20? she said no how no way did they EVER charge that, even talking to the contemporary itself.. nope.
I said but i read it! she said nope those sites were NOT disney,, I said I read the announcement on over 5 different sites,, she said NO!
.ok, back & forth, she said i HAVE to find another way to get to the tour if I am NOT staying at a resort. ok, how can I? when the monorail doesn't start till 8 am & I have to be there before 7?? finally she comes back & says yes I can park at the contemporary, just show my reservation #. but I have to move vehicle after tour ( yes, I understood this). I ask, ok, do I have to pay the $20? she says no there is not a $20 fee or ever was one or will be!

ok,so what came out of this conversations is,,, no one knows about a $20 fee, everyone gives different info & does not have a central info place.
so we figured out at least for the train tour, you park at contemporary ( no other way to get in park that early)

but still have no info on that $20 parking fee for everyone else is there another thread that has people saying they paid a fee??

oh, i also asked, what happens for people who just want to shop there? ( that happens) one year we headed to all the resorts to get the smooshed quarters foe their 25th anniversary,,if we would have had to pay $20 each resort............... or even ONE sheesh........... she had no answer:badpc:
I was wondering if anyone knows for sure--other than a report on a website--that they are actually charging $20 for parking there. Perhaps the web site that reported this is wrong, and everybody is getting bent out of shape for no reason. My original reason for posting was to ask if anybody had encountered this. Nobody has responded that they have. So I have to question whether this is really going on.
On the other hand, I am VERY annoyed that they are saying I have to move my car after the tour. So I have to leave MK, walk to my car, drive it to MK parking at 11 am when it is already filled, and then return to MK. VERY inconvenient.

Keep in mind that the people you spoke with on the phone are not in Florida and may have never even been to Florida.

But every report I've read about the Contemporary was written in the past tense. "They tested." "It occurred." So, chill out. If they implement a new paid parking policy before you arrive, then, either they'll let you park for free because of your reservation, or they'll charge you $25 to park.

(I'm not sure where you got $20 from; reports say $25)

Keep in mind that the people you spoke with on the phone are not in Florida and may have never even been to Florida.

But every report I've read about the Contemporary was written in the past tense. "They tested." "It occurred." So, chill out. If they implement a new paid parking policy before you arrive, then, either they'll let you park for free because of your reservation, or they'll charge you $25 to park.

Again I ask: Has anybody been charged this? Does anybody know anybody who has been charged to park?

Or, as I said over in the budget board thread on the topic - there isn't a lot of communication on this - if its a test (which is what people are saying) it is likely to change as they tweak it. It might be there tomorrow. It might be gone tomorrow. It might apply to AP holders tomorrow and not next week. The CMs probably have received no communication on this at all - with the exception of the few CMs who have to staff the test.

One thing we've learned over time - Disney can do something with no notice at all, and often does so - raise park ticket prices, remove valet parking as a perk, close the monorail for an afternoon......

the agent who i talked to said she directly talked to contemporary & the offices at wdw (we were back & forth on 3 calls)
they charge $25 for valet parking at the contemporary

This is only in the testing phase from everything I'v read which would explain why so many don't know about it.

This is only in the testing phase from everything I'v read which would explain why so many don't know about it.
Maybe nobody knows about it because the original report was erroneous, and it doesn't exist. Nobody has reported encountering it, nor has anybody reporting knowing someone who has encountered it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter