Characters and kids who are a little scared of them??

asreitzel

ASR
My DD will be 3.5 when we cruise in Jan 2006. Although she might change by then, she currently is scared of characters (not just Disney, anyone dressed in a costume). She loves to look at them and be within maybe 10 feet of them, but does not want to touch them or be touched (even a handshake or high five). Will she be okay on the cruise? What about in the Club when we aren't there? I assume since the CMs are used to kids of all types that they follow the kids lead. Is this really worth worrying about?

My niece has been deathly afraid of anyone in a costume since birth - Santa, Easter Bunny, Clowns, The Looney Toons characters at the local six flags etc. She would not even stand 10 feet away. I was always her protector, she'd see a character and she'd jump into my arms and hold on as tight as she could. She would be physically shaking. It was really bad.

We were doing a big family cruise on DCL when she was six and still deathly afraid. She would be with her sister and three cousins, all ages 3 to 6, but that never seemed to matter, she saw someone in a costume and she freaked.

Unfortunately I can't give you advice on the cruise. We were all very worried. We were doing four days at WDW before the cruise and her aunt decided to book the entire family a Character Breakfast the first morning. Great way to start the vacation.

We were outside of AK waiting to get in when she had a total melt down realizing that there would be characters inside. She dropped to the ground just screaming. Her mother took her aside and assured her that she wouldn't have to go near them and that we would all 'protect' her. She entered the park sobbing but went along with the family.

At the character breakfast we tipped off the staff of her phobia. The indicated that they see that a lot. (I would assume that the same would be true on the ship). We had a large group so we sat at two tables - one was the character table the other was the NO character table, the cast members let the characters know not to go near the table. They did wave but even that upset her. She was hiding under the table sobbing. After a few minutes she started to peer out and saw all the other kids having a good time. Eventually she climbed out on Grandpa's lap and waved to Goofy.

She calmed down and we made it through breakfast. As we were leaving we walked by a character greeting area where Winnie the Pooh was standing. There wasn't much of a crowd and we had not intended to stop. Suddenly my niece broke away from the group and ran towards Pooh and gave him a huge hug. We were all flabergasted (as was Pooh I'm sure). From that moment on you couldn't get her away from the characters. We bought her an autograph book and was was fixated on getting as many autographs as she could. She could have cared less about the rides and shows, she wanted to see the characters.

So by the time we got onboard the Magic her phobia was long gone.

I wouldn't worry at all. The only time the characters really came up to you were at the Character Breakfast and even then the characters weren't pushy. Otherwise you typically stand in line to get an autograph or photo. She'll love just seeing them.

One thing that helped my older DD was the autograph book. She was terrified of the characters at Disneyland but thought it was fun to get them to sign her book. It wasn't long before she was hugging them.

As for the Oceaneer's Club, there were only a few characters I can remember (Stitch, Snow White, Timon). The counselors are wonderful so I'm sure they would be sensitive to any fears, especially in the 3-4 group.

On the ship our friend's DD didn't like many of the characters except Mickey, Minnie, & Pluto. You can watch for them to approach as they make their rounds and let them know not to come over. I think that if you mention something to your server they will also help to run interference.

Great! I feel better already! We are also planning to visit Disneyland in October so hopefully that will be a good warm up for her. I think I might try the autograph book! She says she wants to see them, but clearly it is on her own terms!

When you sign your daughter up for kids club, you can note that she is afraid. They will defnitely watch out for it. You can also see what activities have characters attending and you can chose to be present, or have her not participate at those times...

Before you go to Disneyland and the cruise, have your daughter make some artwork for the characters. She then can present her creation to them. I did this when my DD was 3 and it really helped! :wave:

We had breakfast at Chef Mickey's at Disney World with a then-one and a half year old who clearly did NOT like the characters. The whole point of the breakfast was for her so it was a disappointment. However, when Chip came over and hugged little Cassie's mom, that was the breaking point. Cassie's eyes went wide, saw the smile on her mom's face and became a Chip fan. After that, she couldn't get enough of the characters. Maybe having mom and/or dad having a picture taken with a character might help. And it's not unusual. My then 3-1/2 year old son and I have a picture taken with that very same Chip (he's the only one at Disney World, right?). The thing is, you can't see that right after the picture, my little boy bolted away.

My son, at 3.5, wanted characters on his own terms. "Don't touch me, don't interact with me, I'll stand over here and look at you." No screaming, just "required space." At WDW they were great. (I also had a 2.5 year old daughter who loved them and would jump into their arms). At five he still showed anxiety, but asked for an autograph book. With a purpose, he was fine.

:confused3 My daughter had the Mickey & minnie Mouse dolls,stickers,hats,books and clothes. She....and we were looking forward to taking pictures with all the characters on the ship. But it all changed when Donald Duck and Goofy came out for pictures at the port. You should have seen the look of terror on her pretty little face.I tried to tell her that it was ok but she would just refuse to get within 20 feet of them. The only shot I got was at the character Breakfest with Minnie Mouse but only because my daughter didn't see her behind us.She was ok though with cinderella, snow white and sleeping beauty but no characters.....
bairdbeth said:
Before you go to Disneyland and the cruise, have your daughter make some artwork for the characters. She then can present her creation to them. I did this when my DD was 3 and it really helped! :wave:

I just had to share my input. My youngest DS was 5 months old the 1st time we cruised. He could have cared less about the characters. The next year, he was 1 1/2 & he was terrified of the characters. He would look from a distance, but he didn't want to be near them. We have several pictures of us with the characters & he is crying. But we had to have family pictures! :rotfl: Anyways, we just got back from our May 2005 cruise, & to my great surprise, he LOVED the characters!! :banana: :banana: He went crazy to see the this time!

So, don't lose hope! You just never know! :flower: ;)

My DD's were 3 and 4 on our cruise and were afraid of the characters, too.

I convinced them to stand in line for Pinnochio. They were afraid the whole time in line. But when we got to the front, Pinnochio could see that they were afraid, and was very cautious with them. He got down on the floor and asked them to come over. And they did. They got over their fear right then and there and didn't look back. We have pictures with every character we could find (even Captain Hook), and they were willing to wait in long lines to see them.

Another tip I have seen is to introduce the kids to the "face" characters first - namely the Princesses. Kids seem to be much less intimidated by these. Then you could work your way up to the rest.

Good luck!

Denae

Our GS has the same problem.
But i agree with all the advice on this thread. Drawing the characters, trying to get autographs, but only to the characters with faces, not costumed ones should help. Let your child see his parents hug and laugh with characters while he is at a safe distance.
And always tell the kids club counselors and wait staff of the problem and they will keep an eye on the situation. We have seen many kids that wanted to see the characters, but only from a safe distance. If a character approaches, just wave at them and say your child is shy with strangers and they will back off. Most will wave or blow a kiss from a safe distance, once they know.There are great with the kids. It is not a new problem for them, they deal with this everyday.You'll have a magical cruise, I'm sure.
mom x4,grandma x4

My DS was somewhat leary of the charaters though would sit for pictures as well when he was younger. We went to a character breakfast at DL and when he saw Donald he dove under the table. Donald dove under with him. He still rememebers Donald going under the table with him and laughs about it. He was never phobic and I would never traumatize him so it is just a funny story in our family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter