Characters and big families

dunbarfamily

I'm a proud WDW-loving wife and mama to six
Hi all!

We have five children ages 11, 8, 5, 3 and 14 months. In the past, when we met characters, I've hurried the children through, snapped one or two group pictures, and had only one autograph book signed as to not hold up the line.

For our upcoming trip in just a few days, :-)cool1:), the four older children have asked to each have their own autograph book and their own picture with each character. Should I let them? They've never done this before and have always shared the one book and group picture.

I can probably argue either way. On one hand, if a family has only a few children, I see no problem with each child having an autograph and picture. So why would I deny my children that same oppurtunity just because they have more siblings? Orrrrr....I can argue that with lots of children, its going to take a lot longer if they each want a picture and signature and is it fair to the people behind us?

Help before I think this to death!! Lol!

I say take as long as you need to snap a picture of each child with the character and let each child get the autograph. I have 3 girls and It's not really fair to make them share one autograph book. You are waiting in line just as long as everyone else, so I say enjoy it and let your kids enjoy it as well.

I would let them all have their own autograph books. I wouldn't rush them through either. Each one of them is entitled to the same experience as every other child in the line.

Try not to worry about the people behind you. They could see how many children were in the line when they arrived and chose to wait. It would take the same amount of time if each of your children belonged to a different family or if they are all siblings.

The only thing I wouldn't do is get a million different configurations of group pictures. Like the boys, then the girls, then mom & boy, mom & girl, Dad & boys, Dad & girls, etc.

But, as far as each child having their own individual time and autograph, I would say absolutely do it and don't feel bad at all. :)

doesn't matter if you are one family- if you are 10 people (or whatever) then you should get the same amount of time any other 10 people would get!

My 3 boys took a lot of time with characters on our last trip- and I didn't feel bad... they give time to everyone --- we all wait a long time to meet them- you deserve some time with them just like everyone else.

doesn't matter if you are one family- if you are 10 people (or whatever) then you should get the same amount of time any other 10 people would get!

I agree.

OP, get where you're coming from - I only have two and we didn't do autographs because they took so long the first year we went (we took shirts and the characters autographed them), but honestly, if you get in line behind several people, you are going to expect each one to get an autograph and a picture (pleasant surprise if they don't). And I've been behind huge groups that fly through the autograph/picture process and I've been behind one child where the character is the one to draw it out and take a long time.

At the end of the day, the person behind you will never remember if they waited 45 seconds or three minutes for their turn - but your kids will always have their souvenirs as memories! Go and have fun. They're not going to want autographs forever :).

FortForever said:
The only thing I wouldn't do is get a million different configurations of group pictures. Like the boys, then the girls, then mom & boy, mom & girl, Dad & boys, Dad & girls, etc.

This is important to note. Of course it's okay to take pictures of each child and let them have their own autograph books. But taking a million different pictures is what really annoys people.

I agree let them have their own books and pics. I have seven children and we aren't to that point yet but this will be our first trip with the girls being older and understanding it more. So they may tell me other wise when we get there. My oldest three are mentally disabled and don't understand. In fact having them take a pic with a character is a hit or miss. We do group pics and who ever is in the pic when we take it is in. I know trying to get them to take the pic could make things worse so I just go with the flow and make them happy which ever way. Enjoy your trip.

I agree let them have the time to make their memories. If you are feeling pressured ( like if you have and ADR to get to, or you know a parade will start soon etc ) ask while in line if anyone doesn't want their own photo with this character? It could be one of the boys may not particularly want to get a photo with the princess...

I'm like you and tend to rush my kids through, but when I think about another big family my thoughts are if all of your children waited in line to see that character then take the time to get a pic with each of them and sign as many autographs as you want :thumbsup2

I never thought of not letting each child have their own autograph book. My older boys stopped wanting character autographs when they were about 7 or 8, but the younger kids still want to see the characters, take pictures, get autographs. I usually snap my own pics when the characters are signing books and really interacting, but I usually do a group picture when the character turns for the photo op.

I have 6 kids DS15, DS13, DD9, DS7, DS4 and DD2. I am really excited to see how DD2 reacts to the characters, she will have her own book, but we will see.

I let my three kids all have their own autograph book the last time we went. For our May trip I have made a "family" autograph book with pictures of us with the various characters in it. But that is just because I wanted to give it a try. The only suggestion I have, is if they all have their own book, make sure they have the book open and the pen ready when it is their turn. That seems to speed it up a bit.

Let every one have their own, pictures are important and tell a story.

I only become annoyed when my pictures are photo bombed. My daughter had a great picture with Mickey that I wanted to use but there was a lady in the background trying to flag the charters down instead of waiting in line.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks for this thread. I had never really given it a though before now. I have 5 kids and this will be our first trip. My kiddos are 11,9,8,6 &5 when we go and they all want an autograph book. I am happy to see that everyone agrees that each kid should get their own time because that is what I had planned. Now I am glad to know other people will be ok with that!

If the kids are waiting in line for their turn-let them have at it:thumbsup2. If one or two people wait in line and then a bunch more kids show up to "join" the line" near the character-expect some grumbles.

I would let them all have their own autograph books. I wouldn't rush them through either. Each one of them is entitled to the same experience as every other child in the line.

Try not to worry about the people behind you. They could see how many children were in the line when they arrived and chose to wait. It would take the same amount of time if each of your children belonged to a different family or if they are all siblings.

But, as far as each child having their own individual time and autograph, I would say absolutely do it and don't feel bad at all. :)

I totally agree!

Yes I have to agree and say if you can afford the money and time, then let them have their own autograph books and get their own photos! I have one child and only one but she doesn't deserve any more time with a character than each of your children! It's not like you are waiting in line with one and the other four suddenly show up! If they wait like everyone else they deserve to enjoy their time.

I have to say that I don't think there is anything wrong with it but there is no way I could do it. Maybe I am too self conscious. But I rush my kids though. I feel bad for all the other kids waiting. Yes, I hear what everyone else is saying about everyone is waiting but personally, I couldn't do it. I would be too worried about everyone looking at us, thinking we are taking too long. Wondering why they got stuck behind the big family who needs individual pictures and signings. I am happy to hear that is probably my insecurities and not the majority. But my luck, I would get in front of "that person". I have had people sigh many times in WDW when they get behind our "party of 6" on a ride or to meet characters. After our Pirate cruise this past May we were off the boat first and pretty much first in line to see Peter Pan. A mother started yelling to her son and daughter to "Run! You can't get behind all these kids, don't you want to see Peter Pan? They will take forever. Run." Needless to say, we let them go first! But that is just me. Not a judgement on anyone else. But, I know I will continue to rush my kids though! :lmao: And I don't even give them autograph books. One photo and we are done! I must be the mean mom. (Although dad could never handle having to wait for 4 autograph books to be signed so I couldn't even give them that option if I wanted to!)
OP, all kidding aside. If you are comfortable, then do it. It totally depends on what you want and not what others think. :thumbsup2

I get the " looks" all the time when we have our 6 kids with us, sometime we even get the "looks" when we only have 3 or 4 with us :rotfl2:

The larger you family is the more money you have spend just in admissions, so it could be argued that larger families have paid more for the experiences.

I think I am going to go with that:lmao:

I definitely agree with the other parents, let your kids have their individual time with the characters and let the people behind you wait their turn! Each child should be granted equal time with the characters regardless of how many siblings they have!
I only have one DS but I know what some of you mean about getting those "looks" lol. We paid for Express Passes at IOA a couple of years back and the amount if people that gave us the stink eye and were quite verbal about how it wasn't "fair" that we were skipping the queue was unbelieveable! I made sure to be equally as verbal is saying that we had in fact paid for the priviledge which any other guests were more than entitled to do also lol. It did make me uncomfortable but not enough to stop using the passes - and although you might get some mean minded guests queueing behind you giving you looks don't pay them any heed, focus on your kids and whats best for them :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter