Character Meals

merrittmom2

Earning My Ears
What is your favorite character meal? Do you prefer breakfast, lunch or dinner? We have a little one under 3. Any tips???

Tusker house breakfast
Ohana breakfast
Crystal palace
Chef mickeys
We like them all really, but these are our favorites:)

So breakfast is the way to go? We did one character breakfast at Cape May Cafe and it was fun, but didn't know if breakfast was typically going to be more crowded and we should try a lunch or dinner. Our next trip we are doing the dinning plan so we'll do a character meal everyday. Should we do all breakfasts? We were going to only do 1 breakfast. Here is kind of what we were thinking...

Oh and we have a 2 year old....

Park Fare for dinner
Chef Mickeys for either breakfast or dinner (can't decide)
Akershus Royal Banquet for lunch while in the park
Ohanas for breakfast
Tusker House for lunch while in the park
Mickey's Backyard BBQ for dinner

Any thoughts or suggestions about our picks and times to go??

We are READY now and we still have over 6 months to go....:scratchin

Thank you!! :)

I think it depends on if you're paying OOP or using DP. Breakfasts are cheaper but the food is pretty much the same (MICKEY WAFFLES!!), while lunch and dinners are a little more expensive with varied food.

We're going back this fall and I'm planning both character meals for breakfast: H&V and Ohana. These cover all the main characters that my boys want to see.

I don't think breakfast is typically more crowded when compared to other meals, we just more so preferred what was offered at breakfast over other meals. All of those sound like fun choices...but read up on the BBQ. I was considering it for our upcoming trip but have not heard good things about it, plus it takes 2 dining credits instead of one. Check out crystal palace...it's perfect for a two year old with all the pooh characters:)

Yes...Mickey waffles do rock!! :) we are doing the DP. . So that is why I was aiming for more lunch and dinners, trying to get more bang for my buck.

We had crystal palace on our list at first because of the pooh characters....trying to think why it didn't make it to the final....need to get that back added. Yeah we saw that out took 2 for the bbq and thought we would just pay OOP for that one. I need to check out the reviews again though. thanks for the tip :)

Our favorite is Crystal Palace. This mostly has to do with the fact that when DD was 3, she was terrified of characters until she met Pooh and Piglet (then at the AK). They won her over, Piglet especially. Her big request ever since is to say hi to Piglet on each trip.:goodvibes So, we end up booking Crystal Palace each time.

We like lunch or dinner. I know breakfast is popular on the DIS, but we don't like the early morning breakfasts as we don't like to eat a ton of food that early. And the later breakfasts are a waste of valuable touring time, IMO. Lunch is a much better value than dinner if you are paying OOP.
The place is nice and bright with great views! We've always had great service and find the food to be among the better food for Character Buffets. There is a wide selection to feed both the picky and those looking for something a little more interesting.

The one that we've never tried that I am interested in is Garden Grill.

I love Tusker House for breakfast or lunch because it has a varied selection and I loved meeting the characters in their safari gear. This is the standout character meal for me. (especially because of the POG juice!)

I've never done 1900 Park Faire for dinner but it is good for breakfast.
Last Time I went I did Chef Mickey's for Dinner and was disappointed. Character interactions were rushed, and the food was not good at all.

So breakfast is the way to go? We did one character breakfast at Cape May Cafe and it was fun, but didn't know if breakfast was typically going to be more crowded and we should try a lunch or dinner. Our next trip we are doing the dinning plan so we'll do a character meal everyday. Should we do all breakfasts? We were going to only do 1 breakfast. Here is kind of what we were thinking...

Park Fare for dinner
Ohanas for breakfast

Amazingly our littlest one (2 yo at the time) got scared of Pooh, so Crystal Palace was our least favorite character meal. Sometimes the princesses with real human faces are more friendly for the little ones. I vote for dinner character meals, as it is getting the most "bang for your buck." I think Akershus was our favorite. Park Fare was very nice. We didn't do the others. We did do Cinderella's Royal Table which was very nice (cost 2 TS). They were really nice about it too - we had scheduled an early dinner as it's very hard to even get a reservation and our daughter was napping when we got there. They let us take a picture after the meal, instead of before it when they normally do it. Our dd woke up shortly after arriving to our table. The boys really enjoyed Park Fare as the prince was there.

I would also advise to do quick service for lunches especially if your like us and never know when our dd was going to nap.

Park Fare for dinner
Ohanas for breakfast

JMO - but we prefer lunch and dinner over breakfasts as we don't eat a lot in the morning. You have 3 different meals with fab 5 characters. I would probably drop Chef Mickey's (unless Minnie is the big draw, though she is easy to meet elsewhere) or 'Ohana (unless Lilo and Stitch are the draws) and substitute Crystal Palace.

Thank you everyone for the great advice!!!:worship: :)

I didn't factor in naptime for the little one..on our last trip a few weeks ago, her schedule completely changed which through a little wrench in our plan, but it was no biggie as we had no set in stone plans with reservations. She usually naps in the afternoon, but she was falling asleep around 11 and again that afternoon. Maybe we will just stick to dinners and do the quick service for lunches... except for Ohanas though for breakfast one morning (we really want to see Lilo and Stitch....and they may be more for mom and dad ;))

So really no Chef Mickeys???

We love chef mickeys! It gets a lot of mixed reviews on here but as long as you go into it with an open mind I think you will like it:) My son had a blast there...we ate there for breakfast and dinner last trip. The food isn't mind blowing but the restaurant is classic disney to me with the combination of characters and the monorail running right beside it. Were going there for my sons 5th birthday dinner this year and I can't wait!!

What is your favorite character meal? Do you prefer breakfast, lunch or dinner? We have a little one under 3. Any tips???

My one year old was scared of Pooh, but my first daughter never was. She's not afraid of Mickey or his gang though. I learned when I took a two year old a few years ago that breakfast is probably the most awake and happy they're going to be as far as interaction with characters go. Dinner being second. Around lunchtime they're either exhausted and ready for a nap or maybe they've just gotten up if you have a late lunch around 2 or 3. Then, depending on your LOs personality, you have Miss Sunshine or Miss Grumpy Gills. I try to stick to breakfasts for characters, although they usually are cheaper and not as much bang for your buck if you're on the DP. We just pay OOP then and use the credit elsewhere.

Edited to add: Princesses and Tusker House are probably the best. I do not like Chef Mickey's at all, but to get our fix of him and the gang we're doing both a Tusker House breakfast and Cape May breakfast.

just to make it harder but if your little is a Disney Jr fan check out Hollywood & Vine for breakfast. at AK we did a late breakfast at TH after our safari ride

OUR WDW CHARACTER MEAL & BUFFET RANKINGS (*JANUARY 2014*):

Best Food (quality first, then variety):
. . . Tusker House
. . . 1900 Park Fare
. . . Ohana
. . . Garden Grill
. . . Garden Grove
. . . Akershus Royal Banquet
. . . Cape May Café
. . . Hollywood & Vine
. . . Crystal Palace
. . . Cinderella Royal Table (since new menu)
. . . Chef Mickey's

Best Character Interaction (time with guest first, then friendliness):
. . . Tusker House
. . . 1900 Park Fare
. . . Garden Grill
. . . Ohana
. . . Garden Grove
. . . 1900 Park Fare
. . . Chef Mickey's
. . . Cape May Café
. . . Hollywood & Vine
. . . Cinderella Royal Table
. . . Crystal Palace (barely enough time for a photo)

Best Atmosphere (surroundings and ambiance):
. . . Cinderella Royal Table
. . . Tusker House
. . . Ohana
. . . 1900 Park Fare
. . . Garden Grill
. . . Crystal Palace
. . . Hollywood & Vine
. . . Cape May Café
. . . Garden Grove
. . . Chef Mickey's

NOTE1: Results are listed from best to worst. Overall, Tusker House wins due to best
food and the length of time the characters stay at each table. A close second is 1900 Park
Fare. By far, Chef Mickey's is the loser, due to mediocre character interaction and almost
terrible in quality. The very distant second worst is Cinderella Royal Table, due to brief
time at tables for characters and the new menu.

NOTE2: Characters
. . . 1900 Breakfast: Alice, Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins, Pooh & friends
. . . 1900 Dinner: Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Step Sisters
. . . Akershus Banquet : Belle, Snow White, Aurora, Jasmine
. . . Cape May Café : Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy
. . . Chef Mickey : Mickey, Minnie, Chip-n-Dale, Goofy
. . . Cinderella Royal Table: Cinderella (downstairs), Ariel, Aurora, Snow White, (maybe Belle, Jasmine)
. . . Crystal Palace : Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Piglet
. . . Hollywood and Vine : Disney Junior Characters
. . . Ohana : Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, Pluto
. . . Tusker House: Donald, Mickey, Goofy, Daisy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter