• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character meals worth it?

pugbug

Earning My Ears
Are any of the character meals with it if you don’t care about characters? I’ve always ruled out character meals because I have no interest in meeting characters, but do any of them have food that’s worth checking out? I want to try a new restaurant on my next trip, so I’m checking out all the possibilities!

Honestly, no, if you’re not interested in characters, I don’t think there’s a character meal worth going to just for the food.

There are some really good character breakfasts, but you can get a breakfast that’s really good without the up charge. Tusker House lunch/dinner has lots of fans over their food, but I’ve seen mixed reviews in the past few years (less offerings, chaotic atmosphere). But again, you’ll have just as well liked options at Animal Kingdom Lodge at a lower cost because no characters. I haven’t been to the new Snow White meal at Artist Point or Be Our Guest for dinner, so can’t really comment on those.

Are any of the character meals with it if you don’t care about characters? I’ve always ruled out character meals because I have no interest in meeting characters, but do any of them have food that’s worth checking out? I want to try a new restaurant on my next trip, so I’m checking out all the possibilities!

Not really! We've eaten at CP because we love the place for breakfast, but because of the general commotions going on and the higher charge for characters, we have decided no more.

If you don't want to meet the characters I wouldn't do it.
Not to say the food wouldn't be good but I don't think it would be a good overall experience if you have zero interest in the characters.
Choose new restuarants that don't have characters.

No. Character meals are expensive, and you’re mainly paying for the characters. Standard buffet food.

The only exception I’d consider is Cinderella’ Royal Table to eat in the castle. But again, paying $81ish for the experience.

Even whe the food is excellent is never worth the prices. The experience of meeting characters is why you are paying the food can be found anywhere else.

I scheduled more sit down meals that are character meals instead of buffets cause the food looks great. But I have young girls who love the characters.

New ones for me this year is the artist point. Menu looks delicious and can’t wait to meet the evil queen. And bon voyage breakfast. Looks delicious and fun

I would say no. The food may be ok, but rarely better than that. You are paying a premium because of the characters.
If you don't care about seeing characters, i would look at other restaurants.
The Storybook Dining does look very good and may be worth checking out.

The only one worth it to us is Chef Mickeys. For some reason, it just has such a fun atmosphere to us. This time we did breakfast, and liked it better than dinner (plus it's cheaper, but we had the dining plan). We don't care about characters either. My nephew will take pictures if they are there, but doesn't care if they aren't.

No, I wouldn't go to any of the character meals just for the food. While some are better than others, there are much better food options at non-character meals for a lot less money.

No its not worth it if you dont care about the characters. The reason theyre so pricey is because of the characters!

For example, I absolutely LOOOOOVE The Wave breakfast. Fantastic little buffet. With the buffet price you also get made-to-order items if you wish, such as their lovely french toast with the amazing butter/spread selection (my fave is the macadamia nut butter). So good. Totally worth it, and its only $23+tax I believe. Although it may have gone up to $24 by now. No characters here, food is fantastic as is the atmosphere.

My fave breakfast use to be Kona until I discovered this little hidden gem.

The only way they would be worth it is for the memories you may have with a child. For the money aspect of it they are overpriced, way overpriced I should say for Golden Corral quality buffet food. I'll do them occasionally, but it's either because I was taking someone to WDW for the first time or for getting into a park PPO.

I do have to agree with the comment above from goofyintoronto, the breakfast buffet at the Wave, while it may be small, is very good.

I took my daughter to CRT twice while she was under 3 and it was truly a Magical experience. I paid an obnoxious price for myself, but at least she was free. If you can afford it, it's worth the splurge ONCE. Next trip we'll probably do Bon Voyage Breakfast as it's one of the more affordable character dining experiences, but that'll be it.

I have been to several and while food was BLAH at all the best ambience was CRT. worth just the ambience. If characters not a priority, skip it

We just returned from a trip with our three year old grandson. Character meal every day. We are not buffet people. We tried Garden Grill for the first time and it was surprisingly good. Best was Sunday brunch at California Grill, pricy but incredible!

A late breakfast at Tusker House, like 10:30ish, is the only character meal that I'd say might be "worth it" if you have no interest in characters. They start turning the buffet over to lunch items at 11 am, so you get both breakfast and lunch for breakfast pricing.

However, if you have the time, you can go to Boma at AKL and get pretty much the same buffet, minus the characters.

I have heard pretty good things about the Bon Voyage breakfast. Also, if on the dining plan, Storybook Dining with Snow White at Artist Point is a decent deal since it's one TS dining credit.

This may be controversial of me, but I thought Cinderella's Royal Table was extremely disappointing...We used 2 credits a person on that meal and the food was not that great (I have a pretty adventurous palette, I think), and I personally don't fancy face characters that much, so it's not something I'll do again, unless I have children who have interest in meeting those characters one day. I personally think if you're going to do a character meal, pick a place that has food that you actually see yourself enjoying. That way if the character part is a bust, at least you ate a satisfying meal.

Nope. I don't think any of the food is worth it. It's mostly standard buffet items. I know that one of the arguments for going to a character buffet is to be able to eat and meet characters and not wait in line to meet them. I would rather spend my money on better food and wait in line to meet characters (and I have young kids, so we have spend A LOT of time meeting characters)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter