Character Meals Super Thread!!

The chef will come out and talk to you about the allergies, find out the "likes" of the child and then will custom make their meal for them. Disney goes out of their way to ensure that all guests are able to eat a good meal (and one that is safe or within their dietary needs).

Did your child actually get a custom meal at buffet restaurants? Neither of the 2 chefs we talked to last week asked about DD3's likes. The Ariel's chef just asked which entree she wanted and said he'd separately prepare that. But at Goofy's, the chef told us to just get the food off the regular buffet line. The reservation agent promised us it would be custom cooked, but like I said, the Goofy's chef just told me to avoid the PB&J pizza and the peanuts at the dessert bar.

Did your child actually get a custom meal at buffet restaurants? Neither of the 2 chefs we talked to last week asked about DD3's likes. The Ariel's chef just asked which entree she wanted and said he'd separately prepare that. But at Goofy's, the chef told us to just get the food off the regular buffet line. The reservation agent promised us it would be custom cooked, but like I said, the Goofy's chef just told me to avoid the PB&J pizza and the peanuts at the dessert bar.

Our daughter is allergic to wheat, eggs, peanuts & tree nuts......so they would go through the buffet on what was safe but they will make things too. If gluten is an issue.....they can make you a plate of gluten free Mickey waffles!!

Wow that is great service! I guess our DD's allergies didn't justify special treatment beyond just avoiding the 2 peanut items.

This thread is fantastic -- thank you!

Wondering if Pluto is still at Chef Goofy's? And has he been recently spotted at the Surf's Up breakfast? He's my DD5's favorite :)

Wondering if Pluto is still at Chef Goofy's? And has he been recently spotted at the Surf's Up breakfast? He's my DD5's favorite :)

Have reservations for Goofy's tomorrow, I can give you an update after :-)

Yes, Pluto was at Goofy's Kitchen as of April 14. This is a terrible photo but it's Chef Pluto so I thought I'd include it:

8664734506_683ec99693.jpg

Pluto was at Goofy's this morning. There were 8 characters total: Goofy, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Mulan, Baboo, Mad Hatter, and Rafiki.

I am looking into Surf's Up or Minnie's. The prices are very similar. With these, do you also pay an additional 15% gratuity + sales tax?

We just tried the Chip 'n Dale Critter Breakfast at the Storytellers Cafe this morning. Nice place, food was ok. We saw Chip, Dale, Meeko, and two bears who I assume are from Brother Bear. My 3-year-old liked it, but the characters didn't come around as often as they do at the Surf's Up breakfast.

Overall, I would say this character breakfast is "just ok". I don't think we'll do this one again. The Surf's Up breakfast is waaayyyy better!

I am looking into Surf's Up or Minnie's. The prices are very similar. With these, do you also pay an additional 15% gratuity + sales tax?

Minnie's includes the tip in the price but not the tax.
Surfs Up does not include tip or tax.

This may seem random, but does PCH have good natural lighting for pictures w/out a flash? We've always done Minnie and the lighting there has always been fine (especially if sat outside, duh), but I'm contemplating switching it up and doing Mickey's Surfs Up this next trip (GK is out, I don't like the characters you see and feel it is overpriced, plus unless you get lucky, most of the restaurant seemed very dark).

This may seem random, but does PCH have good natural lighting for pictures w/out a flash? We've always done Minnie and the lighting there has always been fine (especially if sat outside, duh), but I'm contemplating switching it up and doing Mickey's Surfs Up this next trip (GK is out, I don't like the characters you see and feel it is overpriced, plus unless you get lucky, most of the restaurant seemed very dark).

Try asking for a table closer to the windows. The ambient lighting there has been great. Closer to the buffet tends to be a little darker.

I'm trying to decide if we should go back to one of the breakfasts we loved, or try the Chip and Dale critter breakfast because I have heard lovely things about their quality of food. What I am wondering, does anyone have any recent (heck I'll take anytime in the last year) photos of the buffet offerings?

Another question: do the Goofy's Kitchen recipes that come with the printed photo package ever vary? I'm just wondering if I will end up with duplicate recipes - in which case, it will be a gift for someone, probably my cat/dog sitter(aka my mom:flower3:)!

I'm trying to plan a dinner time for Goofy's Kitchen. I originally planned on 5pm assuming the first opening would be the best but after reading some that there is a line to take pictures and it backs up I'm wondering if everyone picks the 5pm and I should plan for a little later? We are going the last week of June if that matters. This would be our only character meal.

And photo packages, how much is it at Goofy's? Are any photos included in the cost of the meal? (I've never done character meals, even at WDW)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter