Character Meal not on DDP

Portugal1000

DIS Veteran
Next year will be our 10th trip to Disneyworld and for first time my brother and his family are coming with my two 6 year old nieces who are mad about Princesses. So a couple of question, what is the best Princess meal? ( My son is 12 so you can imagine that we haven't done a whole lot of Princess things!)
We spend 3 weeks every August so already an expensive holiday (we are from England) but I was shocked when I saw the price of character meals. I had planned to treat them all to CRT but over $70! It would cost the 7 of us over $430! We have been to Disney many times on the free dining so I don't think I have really noticed the cost before but we will be staying at Bonnet Creek next summer. Got me to thinking how many people actually pay those prices when not on the free DDP? This year we found alot of the restuarants to be very quiet and had no problems getting reservations on the day but we didn't go to any character meal.

Akershus prices are $36-59 apparently, depending on WHEN you go. Thats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Tax is included; gratuity is not included. A standard, non-alcoholic beverage and desserts are included in this price.

Experience includes Complimentary Imaging Package: One image package per group of four paying guests; 2 packages for groups of 5-8 guests and 3 packages for groups of 9-12 guests. You get a photo package including:

4 prints 4" by 6"

One print 6" by 8" print with one of the Disney Princesses in a themed folder

Package is delivered to you during your meal. Additional photos may be purchased.

Characters will appear on a rotating schedule, that is, there is no guarantee which characters will be appearing on any given day.

"Princesses" who MAY appear include: Belle, Jasmine, Snow White, Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), Mulan, and Mary Poppins

Aside from that, there's also 1900 PF dinner. Prices are $36-59. There's Cinderella, and the step sisters (which are HILARIOUS btw), plus the evil step mother. Its a lot of fun. Food isnt anything spectacular, but a lot of ppl seem to like it. (i personally dont care for it).

I agree with goofyintoronto's suggestions of either Akershus or 1900 Park Fare dinner. Akershus has princesses at all meals. 1900 Park Fare has Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine (the Stepmother), and the stepsisters Anastasia and Drizella at dinner only. There is a breakfast at 1900PF but it has Alice, Mary Poppins, the Mad Hatter, and some others.

DD and I have done breakfast at Akershus twice and really enjoyed it. Plus, you get a good variety of princesses and I enjoyed the food. Dinner at 1900PF was okay. I didn't think the food was outstanding. But the stepmother and stepsisters are hilarious. It's worth it for the entertainment value.

Another vote for Akershus. The Princess interaction is better, I think, than at CRT, and the price is better, as well. I also really like the food there, but opinions may vary on that. We mostly do breakfast in order to take advantage of getting into Epcot before park opening and get in good position for the Soarin' FastPass rush.

I have done both breakfast and Akershus and dinner at 1900 Park Fare.

Since you have a son, my recommendation would be dinner at 1900 Park Fare as this is a meal everyone would enjoy. The girls will get to see Cinderella and Prince Charming (very rare to meet a prince) and the step-mom and step-sisters are so loud and funny they will keep everyone entertained.

Just my 2 cents :)

Hiya,

THREE WEEK HOLIDAY.. you lucky people. (I think the term is currently "Well Jell" if my TOWIE is correct)

If the girls are with you as a once in a lifetime thing, I'd go with the castle. The memories from that will be with them forever. If they are likely to return, do the others and work up to the castle for future trips for them.

As far as the child is concerned, its about the castle as much as the princesses. Lets face it you give a girlie girl the chance to eat on the lawn of Buckingham Palace or in a beer-garden, which would they choose?

Whatever you decide, have a great time.

Thanks for your responses. I think I will just go for the castle and 1900 Park Fare (have been here once before) and will just not look at the bill!
We will also go to Crystal Palace which is our favourite and I think quite reasonable for lunch.

Yes we are very lucky to go for 3 weeks every year but we are so far away and the flights cost so much that I like to make the most of it. No matter how long we go for its never long enough and I can safely say I have never got bored or wanted to come home. Next year we are also going for Christmas but only 2 weeks so its going to be great as Christams is my favourite time there, especially as always freezing in England.

My family (DW, DS7 and DD6) did the princess dinners at 1900 PF and Akershus in Feb 2012. We liked Akershus much better than 1900 PF. More variety of princesses. 1900 is great for Cinderella fans, and totally agree the stepsisters and stepmother steal the show at 1900. We liked the food at 1900 PF, but the restaurant was very crowded and noisy. I liked the food and atmosphere at Akershus better. Not as noisy and busy, and the Norway pavillion has a better theme. The food at Akershus is buffet for salad and appetizers, and table service for entree and dessert. Much more relaxing meal.

With all that in mind we have ADRs for CRT for breakfast on MK day, and Akershus for breakfast on our Epcot day. I may cancel the Akershus breakfast. We are very excited about CRT. I have heard mixed reviews, but I think it is important for us to eat in Cinderella's castle at least once in our lives.

If you are trying to decide between Akershus and 1900 PF, I would recommend Akershus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter