Character Dining? W/kids and frequency

O&PsDad

Earning My Ears
The wife and I took the kids to disney last December and the Character dining was a huge hit. My son was 3 1/2 and my daughter was 20months at the time. we are going again in april and they will be 4 and 2. Because we will be going at least once a year, how often should I be thinking of the character dining as a big part of the trip? Will it get old? How old might they be when it is no longer worth the trouble/time?

It isn't much trouble just that good times book quick and it is at least 1 1/2 hours at a whack.

At 2 and 4, I would go just for their face when the characters get to the table.

How have your families been with the experience?

Thanks

OK - we go to Disney at least 2X a year, probably pretty steadily since 1984, and both DD's insist on a character meal every time! By the way, they are now 26 and 23! The 23yr old is there now on her last "spring break" with 3 friends, and she booked them the Cape May Cafe character breakfast. :rotfl2: This past summer was 26 yr old DH's first time, with new grandson in tow, and now he is hooked! Good luck trying to GET OUT OF character dining! I have a feeling my DH and I will still be paying for it even as the DD's are wheeling us in with wheelchairs.

My DD's will be 5 and 7 when we head to Disney next month. This will be our 4th year of visiting WDW and my DD's still love character dining. Every trip, it seems like we have at least one character meal and it hasn't gotten old yet. Last year, we had had 3 character meals ... CRT, Crystal Palace and Park Fare. This year, we have CRT and Chef Mickey's.

I think certain meals, like the princesses and the Playhouse Disney characters will just fall off the radar for my girls one of these days. I mean, I can't imagine my girls will want to have lunch with The Little Einsteins when they are 10 and 12. But, places like Chef Mickey's and The Crystal Palace seem to be fun for everyone.

Grow tired of Character meals - when does that happen:lmao: .

My children are DD 13 and DS 11. At their first Character Meal, they were 3 and 8 months.

When planning a trip, I let each member of the family pick out one favorite restaurant. (I have been doing this for 5 years.) Once again, my DS had chosen the Garden Grill. My DS loves Pluto. Both of my children love Chip & Dale and enjoy the spinning atmosphere of the restaurant. It does not hurt that DH loves the food there.

We have tried most of the Character meals - some we would repeat and some we would not. By trying new places and mixing up the different Characters my children have enjoyed the experience for many years.

I think part of the secret is to find a Character Restaurant that everyone likes the food.:goodvibes

I think 2 meals, one at the beginning of the trip and one at the end is good. If you think the 1st was enough (or your 2 yr old is now scared of characters--it happens), then just go to guest services or any restaurant and they can just cancel the other one. For my kids, more than 2 in one week at those ages is overkill. Have fun! Elaine (ps-my DD12 is begging for Goofy breakfast)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter