Character autographs on a vinylmation

Nayrb

Earning My Ears
Has anyone bought a 9" vinylmation and had the characters sign it. I think this would be a great souvenir, do u think it would work? Any suggestion for the marker?

Bryan

I've seen pictures of these before and they look awesome. We actually plan to bring one to be signed on our upcoming cruise. We're bringing different colored sharpies. I think these work well. On black use a silver sharpie.

My Boyfriend and I did this to commemorate our first year of college and first year of Disney- going together. This is how we became accidental character hunters. Here are some simple iPhone pictures of them. These are a few weeks old so they are missing some later acquisitions and you can't see too many of the autographs on the sides of them from these pics but it's the idea! We have over 80(!) signatures on these. There's signatures on the bottom of the feet as well.

BHV4tPPCcAAH7h-.jpg

BHV4zWZCUAIvVbt.jpg

I will give the pros and cons to them in a vacation setting. Pros- they are adorable and can be easily displayed- our reason for doing them!- as opposed to an autograph book. Characters get very excited and are usually very careful with them. You get some beautiful textbook signatures on them. However, accidents happen and smudging will occur. You will think you can prevent it but you can't. None is ever very serious and it gives it character. To prevent smudging I'd use a fine tip Sharpie over the felt one, but the felt looks better. We switched to fine tip about 45 signatures in because we were running out of room but the felt looks great. If you dislike imperfections it may not be for you. Also be aware that at certain character events, such as Limited time Magic, or just certain characters in general don't sign, give out a card or do a stamp(Buzz Lightyear). Unlike an autograph book you can't just paste a card or have a stamp put on your vinyl so be aware of that. They are also bigger to carry than an autograph book and if you forget your sharpie, the attendants don't always have one (but usually do). We haven't forgotten ours yet! Hope this helps/inspires.

We did the 9" glow in the dark Mickey in October and it worked great. Some of the "fur" characters needed help holding it to sign, so they either had one of the kids hold it or they took it to a nearby flat surface to keep it still while they signed. It is so much nicer than having a book. We have our Mickey sitting in the living room where we can see him all the time. :goodvibes We took 3 black retractable sharpies in our backpack just in case we ran out of ink, but we had no issues. They were much easier for the characters to deal with so they didn't have to mess with caps and get ink on themselves.

thanks for the responses.
I never thought about the retractable sharpies, what a great idea!

My girls are getting older and don't really want to do the books anymore. so I was thinking that this would be a great way to encourage interaction with the characters. I know they want to, but feel they are getting to old.

Really cool idea that I plan to take all the credit for when I suggest it to my twins for our upcoming trip :thumbsup2

Characters love to have something out of the ordinary! It's a nice break from the monotony of books :)

We were thinking about this idea but a little worried about having to carry it around. Much more awkward than an autograph book.

Can anyone tell me if these come in colors other than white? Has anyone used a colored one? Did it look as cool? Lastly, does using multiple colors of sharpies make it look...I don't know...not as "neat"?

Can anyone tell me if these come in colors other than white? Has anyone used a colored one? Did it look as cool? Lastly, does using multiple colors of sharpies make it look...I don't know...not as "neat"?

The glow in the dark one is mint green. They do make a white one, and it seems like I have seen black. They are from the "create your own" series. There is also a plain white Lightning McQueen. The white ones look neat with the different colors, but the glow in the dark looks better with all black. The black one needs to have silver writing.

What a great idea! I see Amazon has a purple one, my daughters favorite color. For $35, are they that much better then the books? Obviously they can display better, but that is a hefty price difference.

My experience with one was not as good as PP.

We have the glow in the dark one, so it's a greenish color. Got it for about $12 from Disney Store online, on clearance, a year or so ago. I think they were getting rid of them.

Anyway, we took it on our trip earlier this year. We must have come across characters that had never seen them before because we had a heck of a time getting them to figure out where or how to sign them. Most were rather reluctant to even try but after assurance from me they did it. And we quickly ran out of room. I ended up with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, Cinderella, Aurora, and Rapunzel and that almost filled it up. I would have liked to get Pluto and at least Snow White added but after it got so full on the first day I opted to my backup of cards with the character photos printed on it. I wish it would have gone like PP found and we could have gotten them all on it but it wasn't going to happen. Not to mention we were taking a bit of time with each character talking them in to signing it.

AngiTN, just out of curiosity, are you sure that was the 9" and not the 3"? I just went looking for these, and the glow in the dark was still over $30 for the 9".

We are going about a month after Easter but the kids don't know yet, so my plan is to get 1 each of these for the kiddos as well as other Disney themed "clues" as to what's coming. We're not doing the big reveal until our departure date so I can't wait to see it all click into place. :banana:

The glow in the dark one is mint green. They do make a white one, and it seems like I have seen black. They are from the "create your own" series. There is also a plain white Lightning McQueen. The white ones look neat with the different colors, but the glow in the dark looks better with all black. The black one needs to have silver writing.

Thank you so much for this information!! I reckon we'll go with white, but let them choose their sharpie preference.

My experience with one was not as good as PP.

We have the glow in the dark one, so it's a greenish color. Got it for about $12 from Disney Store online, on clearance, a year or so ago. I think they were getting rid of them.

Anyway, we took it on our trip earlier this year. We must have come across characters that had never seen them before because we had a heck of a time getting them to figure out where or how to sign them. Most were rather reluctant to even try but after assurance from me they did it. And we quickly ran out of room. I ended up with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, Cinderella, Aurora, and Rapunzel and that almost filled it up. I would have liked to get Pluto and at least Snow White added but after it got so full on the first day I opted to my backup of cards with the character photos printed on it. I wish it would have gone like PP found and we could have gotten them all on it but it wasn't going to happen. Not to mention we were taking a bit of time with each character talking them in to signing it.

AngiTN, just out of curiosity, are you sure that was the 9" and not the 3"? I just went looking for these, and the glow in the dark was still over $30 for the 9".

Yes, this is my question as well. It just seems odd that PP had SO MANY autographs on theirs (85, did they say?) but y'all could only fit, what? 10 or so? Plus the price difference, even if on clearance, is so significant. Perhaps the characters were having a tough time signing it because it was so small? :confused3

Whatever the case I'm so sorry your experience with this wasn't a positive one. :worried: I will actually have the characters sign 2 different items. We'll take a vinylmation into the parks and eventually fill up all 3 (even if only on the front "displayed" side), and because the parents are just as important, a photo mat for us. :lmao:

Nope, 9" without a doubt. From my order history

VINYLMATION CYO GLOW 9IN
# 400000184661
Quantity1
$11.25
Shipped 11/10/2012

Yes, this is my question as well. It just seems odd that PP had SO MANY autographs on theirs (85, did they say?) but y'all could only fit, what? 10 or so? Plus the price difference, even if on clearance, is so significant. Perhaps the characters were having a tough time signing it because it was so small? :confused3

Whatever the case I'm so sorry your experience with this wasn't a positive one. :worried: I will actually have the characters sign 2 different items. We'll take a vinylmation into the parks and eventually fill up all 3 (even if only on the front "displayed" side), and because the parents are just as important, a photo mat for us. :lmao:

It wasn't a bad experience at all. I'm still glad we did it. It was fun, just more awkward that I prepared for. I am more glad I planned a back up way to get autographs since DGD loves getting them, ever character ever time. I could have gotten maybe 10 more autographs on ours with ease but no even remotely close to 80 something, that is for sure. I think the characters signed too big because they weren't sure how to write on it. I was ok with it though. In the end the characters liked the cards with their images on it way more than they did the vinylmation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter