Character attendant role?

littlelionsam

Earning My Ears
hi everyone! okay i feel like i make too many posts on here, i apologize, im just full of questions. i was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the character attendant role & their experiences. i find the least about that role when i try to research it, and any information is welcome and valuable! thank you so much! :)

The attendant's role is to assist the character in getting to and from the back stage area, for non-speaking character they are their voice to park guests to let us know when they have to go and will be back and to keep the line orderly.

Also, most are kind enough to take the pictures for all of us. Plus, simple security for the characters.

Joanna - would you say the pros outweigh the cons? I'm not the most assertive person, so I'd be afraid that I'd get really nervous having to turn people away

I'm also highly interested in this role, is this a hard role to get into? My main roles I want are Character Attendant, Photopass and Full Server F&B. I also wouldn't be apposed to attractions either.

I just would like to know which role requests are easily accepted.

Joanna - would you say the pros outweigh the cons? I'm not the most assertive person, so I'd be afraid that I'd get really nervous having to turn people away

I would say the Pros do indeed outweigh the Cons in any situation, you just have to look at it in a positive light.

I think if you practice on being a bit outgoing, you'd get it. For example, when it's time for a Character to go, say Pooh, you'd say "Apologies, but it's time for Pooh to go and find some Honey trees since he's got a Rumbly Tummy!" which you could further with adding "He'll be back soon to play!" where he'd be next for a visit to the 100 Acre Wood. :)

I'm also highly interested in this role, is this a hard role to get into? My main roles I want are Character Attendant, Photopass and Full Service F&B. I also wouldn't be opposed to attractions either.

I'd say you'd need to show your strengths that you enjoy Guest interaction, Interaction with kids, and being good gracefully handling any situation that may possibly come your way. I've had quite a few friend that have had the pleasure of being Character Attendants and even Friends of the Characters who've had interesting times. :)

Honestly, it really does vary but the most well-known Roles would be Custodial, Quick Food Service & Beverage, and Merchandise. There's was a proportion list a while back, which I lost track of.

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

The pros definitely do outweigh the cons, for me at least. I can tell you that I can count on one hand the number of nasty guests I've gotten from closing lines. Most guests are usually pretty understanding. I love getting to see the guests interacting with the characters. And it's fun getting to pick up shifts in all 4 parks

My heart is set on this role, I really hope I get it. I got some other roles picked out though just in case. I just see this role as being a lot of fun and really apart of the magic.

I have another question for any that can answer - I know that assertiveness is definitely needed for the character attendant role, but I'm not always the most assertive person. I'd love to be in that role for so many different reasons, but what scares me is knowing I'd have to be so forward. Can anyone attest to how necessary assertiveness is?

First, to the OP: Character Attendants have a lot of fun. You really get to know the characters you work with and develop great friendships. You also work closely with photopass photographers. You can be Attending either with photogs or without, in parks or at restaurants where characters do meet and greets. Your role is to make sure to not only look out for the characters (not getting hit, taken down in a crazy hug, bopped on the nose) but to also speak for them. "Oh! Minnie really likes your dress! It looks just liker hers." "Dale says happy birthday! He wants to know how old you are?" You don't have to make the conversations, but it sure helps out the characters who are saving their voices. You also get them off in time for their quick snack (Like Pooh's hunny break). In terms of assertiveness, you have to be comfortable (eventually) with telling guests, "I'm really sorry but Belle has to get back to the castle now. She'll be back tomorrow. Which park will you be visiting tomorrow?" EVERYONE is super nervous their first week (month, lol) but it's definitely something you get more comfortable with after a bit! When you're with a photographer, you can always ask them for help too, we usually look out for each other ;) It sucks cause you DO get those families that are all, "Ohhhh... but it's for her 15th birthday and we go back to Brazil tomorrow!" and then they give their super sad face and you feel bad, BUT you have to tell yourself that they met other characters, you did NOT ruin their vacation, and think of all the other guests who you helped with the meet and greet. In two years, I've only seen one attendant really have to stand their ground over guests wanting to meet when the line was closed, but again, photographer jumped in and helped. Hope this answered some questions!

I'm also highly interested in this role, is this a hard role to get into? My main roles I want are Character Attendant, Photopass and Full Server F&B. I also wouldn't be apposed to attractions either.

I don't think attending is too hard to get into, but they don't take as many as they do for say, custodial and qsfb. Attractions is a highly requested role, and at the time of your interview you should note your preference (if any) for your desired attraction. of course Jungle Cruise, Great Movie and Kilimanjaro are probably the most requested. But your attraction could also end up being in DisneyQuest, so just know that. Photopass, they generally want you to have SOME photography experience, but they will train you in EVERYTHING on how to use the camera, common problems, how to explain it, etc. Also, as a side note, Full Service is I believe just hosting (seating) and you don't get tips. You can be in a theme park or a resort.

Thanks so much BigDreamer! I truly appreciate thorough responses :) I'm still definitely going to consider that role!

Wow thanks! This really helped!

I think I decided instead of Full Service F&B I want to do Front Desk, but Character Attendant is most first choice. I'm open to other roles too, hopefully if I apply early enough I'll get the role of my choice :)

I have another question for any that can answer - I know that assertiveness is definitely needed for the character attendant role, but I'm not always the most assertive person. I'd love to be in that role for so many different reasons, but what scares me is knowing I'd have to be so forward. Can anyone attest to how necessary assertiveness is?

You definitely have to be firm at times, especially when it comes time to closing the line (or when you have guests coming up the exit or behind the character). It gets easier over time though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter