Changing School terms

DisneyBB

DIS Veteran
In our area they are thinking of changing the school terms to a six term year. I can't get any information out of them about dates etc. Does anyone know about the new school terms ? It makes booking holidays very difficult.

......... just popping your post onto the Community Board :)
If your education authority cannot give you dates, can they at least tell you when they are going to start implementing the new system? Or even if it's definite? Since they are not giving you any specifics, it doesn't sound like they know themselves ?

I'll ask DW if she has any further info about this - she's a governor for one of the local schools.

I'm sure that Rob@rar.org had the policy statement on this.

I seem to remember that this was just a suggestion and not policy just yet.

Even if your LEA can give you term dates it does not mean that the individual schools will stick to them.

As my son changes school this year I phoned Surrey and the two local schools he was most likely to go to to get this summers dates. They all told me that the term starts Sept 5th. Once we had chosen his new school we were informed that this school had decided to start term on the 2nd. So instead of 5 days to get back to UK time he's only got 2!!! - lucky I didn't cut it any finer!!

I was given the impression that parents (and staff - I work at another school) would get 12months notice of new term patterns, not much help if you're booking in April for August of the next year.:(

This is still in consultation process. The unions etc haven't agreed this definitely. We (teachers and parents) will need at least 12 months notice for any change to the school year. Some LEAs will trial it prior to it going nationwide. If yours is one of them, they must give you plenty of notice and would have all the information available re: dates etc. Give them a ring and ask them.

Most teachers I know don't want it to happen. Over 95% of them in my school when polled were against the idea. I should therefore think that it is more or less guaranteed!!!!!!Or am I just cynical!!! Carolyn:confused: :confused: :confused:

My partner is a teacher and she has come around to the idea that changing the school year is on balance a good thing. Putting aside the educational reasons, it now gives us another time during the year when we can go on holiday for 10-14 days. At the moment we are limited to Easter and the summer (skiing takes priority during Christmas!). If the school year changes there is likely to be two weeks break in October, which for us would be a good time to go away including visiting WDW. It will not be so hot or crowded, and may be a little cheaper than summer and Easter.

Regards

Rob

The problem as far as I can see it is that the holiday companies will simply raise the price in October anyway, as they do in half term for example. So that will wipe out that particular advantage. In my school teachers also come into the school at the beginning of the Summer hols to clear away , and usually again before the start of the Autumn Term to prepare, safe in the knowledge that they still have a reasonable amount of time left to unwind and take an extended break. If that period were reduced to 4 weeks, for example ,in order to extend the Oct break the teaching staff would then be unwilling unless forced to give freely of their own time during the Summer. As far as the educational advantage I am simply not sure on that one. I think that the driving force is because so much ground is allegedly lost during the holidays that children have to re- learn and consolidate before moving on. Why is that a particular problem to English children? Other countries including America have not deemed it necessary to go down this route? Are our children more forgetful? I do know that out of a teaching staff of 20 only 2 teachers wanted the terms changed so it will not be at all popular in my school. However whatever the " Powers that Be " want will be brought in regardless. Carolyn

I've just bumped this up, because my post didn't register. Anyone else got any thoughts? Carolyn

OK I give in. This board doesn't like me anymore. I'm stuck on 95 posts, and nothing registers. Have I offended any computer gremlins? Carolyn:( :( :(

OK I am puzzled. I am not registering at all. I seem to be stuck on 95 posts, and have obviously offended the computer gremlins. Am I not welcome anymore? Carolyn:( :( :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter