Changing Resorts After Just A Few Days

kevmag

Mouseketeer
We currently have a 7 night stay booked (2 adults this trip) in September at our home resort BLT.

As new DVC owners, we want to try other resorts, so at the 7 month window, we are going to try to change the reservation to:
2 nights AKL, 2 nights Saratoga, and leave the last 3 nights at BLT

What do you all think about changing resorts 3 times in a 7 night trip? I don't think it will bother me a bit, cause I will just plan the days, assuming late check ins...

If you don't think it will bother you, go for it! We would never consider this option because we like to unpack and settle in. Because DVC is a long term ownership, we prefer to use different trips to try different resorts. Whatever you decide, have fun. That's what it's all about! :cool1:

We did that last summer for our first DVC trip! It was a lot and I don't think I would do it again (as I felt that we could never unpack until the last one) but I did like that I got to try out BWV (2 nights), BLT (2 nights), and VWL (3 nights) already.

What I did realize is that I like staying at different resorts and will be doing split stays from now on. I also realized that BLT still remains my favorite but that VWL comes a close 2nd.

BWV was nice but the lack of CS options and the long walk to get coffee in my refillable mug was not for me.

We are trying BCV next summer for a few nights as well as going back to BLT.

We did have a rental car for part of the trip and that made the days that we switched much easier. We picked it up at the Dolphin on Day 2 and took it back the day before we left.

The only thing we did that should have been different was leave our bathing suits in a separate bag when we went from BWV to BLT. I decided to try bell services to move the luggage (even though we had the car). Didn't think the BLT room would be ready so we just sent everything that way.

Well, to our surprise, it was when we arrived at 8:00 am. We were back in the room around 1:30 pm and would have gone down to the pool, but our bags had not arrived (matter of fact, they forgot to send them and never got there until after 5:00 pm).

But, it did feel like new vacations and was a great way to get a feel for some of the resorts!

I wouldn't split it up that much. The most I would split a stay would be two resorts for a week. You run the chance of not getting a room until 6:00 p.m. or later on room change days. That could make you homeless for a lot of hours for three days out of a 7 day vacation.

I guess the only thing, as others pointed out was being packed to get out of dodge in the AM, and possibly not having a room til possibly 4. Plus moving the luggage. If you have a car, loading up and having your luggage would be a plus, but hoping WDW gets it moved, as someone else stated can get screwed up.

And after staying at SSR on developer points, it just isnt us. If you were going to do DTD when you were there and got close to it, that would be cool, but we just didnt care for it. I would see if anything around boardwalk / beach club was available if I was actually doing a split-split-split stay :)

Or as Jean said, do BLT this time, AKL next, BW / BC next / WL next etc etc

We currently have a 7 night stay booked (2 adults this trip) in September at our home resort BLT.

As new DVC owners, we want to try other resorts, so at the 7 month window, we are going to try to change the reservation to:
2 nights AKL, 2 nights Saratoga, and leave the last 3 nights at BLT

What do you all think about changing resorts 3 times in a 7 night trip? I don't think it will bother me a bit, cause I will just plan the days, assuming late check ins...
I wouldn't advise it. You will probably be without a room between 11 am and 4 pm on 2 days of your vacation. No mid-day breaks for you on those days!

I don't want to spend any more of my vacation time at the front desk than absolutely necessary. I don't want to worry about where my luggage may be. Plus, if you plan to buy some groceries for your villa, you'll have to move those, too and hope that the stuff that needs to be kept cold doesn't sit somewhere on a truck and spoil. I don't like sitting in my room waiting for Bell Services to deliver the luggage - they won't deliver it on a resort move unless you are there (want a tip, I suppose. Probably deserve one, too).

I know, I'm Ms Gloom & Doom. Some people don't mind moving. I consider it an inconvenience that returns no benefit to me. I have many years to try the other resorts if I want to. No need to do more than one at a time for me, LOL.

JMHO, YMMV.

We do not mind doing a split stay, usually something like 3 & 6, because we like getting the Deluxe dining plan for the short part. However, it is kind of a wasted day for us. I would never try three places in 7 nights. I think 3 & 4 would be fine, but moving three times is a little much. We love our BLT, but for us three nights is more than enough in the MK area. I don't see any advantage to staying in Saratoga because you have to take a bus/car everywhere. If you do BWV/BC, you can walk to both EP and DHS. We thought AK was lovely with the animals right there, but, again, you'll have to take a bus/car everywhere.

My niece didn't think the heat of August would bother her...WRONG! She hated it. My other niece didn't think the crowds of Christmas would bother her...WRONG! She hated it. You don't think changing resorts will bother you. Think about it. How restful is that going to be? One change maybe, but two, you may find out that you, too, were wrong. By the time you get into the first two resorts, it could be well after four at each place, so basically you'd have one full day at each. Too rushed for me. You'll have between 40-50 years to try out all the different resorts. Why try to squeeze three of them into your very first trip?

As new DVC owners, we want to try other resorts, ...What do you all think about changing resorts 3 times in a 7 night trip? ..

We thought the same thing; however, we only went with a 2 resort split in 7 days. We tried VB and OKW. We loved both resorts but HATED the split stay. There was just not enough time to experience the 1st resort. Thus, we decided not to do this anymore. We did have some extra points and decided on a 5 day stay at AKV, and from now onw, all our 7 day stays will be at one resort.

I am fighting the urge to do split stays as we are new members too. We went in Oct for MNSSHP and did 2 at SSR and 2 at AKL. The only reason that we did this is we bought in July and we couldnt get all 4 together (Columbus Weekend). 2 nights then moving was kind of crappy. We had DS2 and DS 11months so that hurt as well. We will not be doing split stays in the future voluntarily!

If you don't mind packing your stuff up, having bell services pick up/transfer the luggage, and tipping for them, it's really no big deal at all. I would only suggest one transfer though. Any more might be a pain.

Since it's just two adults, I think it sounds like a fine plan. I did 3 resorts in 7 nights once-2,2,3 like you. I just brought my suitcase to bell services as I went out the door to the parks in the morning (I hate to wait in my room when I'm ready to go). Got on the bus, went to the parks, then when ready, went to my new resort. Got to my new room, called bell services for my suitcase, and that's it. It wouldn't have been too great for a "once in a lifetime" visit, but that's the joy of being a DVC member. You KNOW you'll be back. I never totally unpacked my suitcase, but hey, that's not the end of the world. It was kind of fun to see the different resorts. So I'd say, go for it!

I love split stays, but IMO 3 resorts in 7 days is too much. I would just do two. I do love the idea of getting to experience different resorts and will continue to do split stays. But you will have to pack up 3 times in 7 days. yuck.

I almost always do split stays and don't find the move to be a hassle at all, but I agree with the majority that three resorts in seven nights is too much. You'll be going back time and time again, so you'll have plenty of time to try out all the resorts.

Thanks all for the advice and tips...we talked it over, considered everything, and most likely are going to try for 3 days either AKL/SSR (if available) and 4 days at BLT (our home resort).

Thats why it pays to come on here and bounce ideas off people, we were letting our zeal for Disney overtake the reality of owning DVC (meaning we can always come back)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter