Changing Kids Ages for Dining Plan?

My2BabiesLexis&Dill

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done this? We are going to be at The World for 14 days and I think my kids will get tired real quick with the same kids meals. They are 6 and 8. Can I change their ages to 10 so they can get something different? I figured it up and it's going to cost me 214.30 more but is it worth it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone done this? We are going to be at The World for 14 days and I think my kids will get tired real quick with the same kids meals. They are 6 and 8. Can I change their ages to 10 so they can get something different? I figured it up and it's going to cost me 214.30 more but is it worth it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

as long as you're not on free dining I think that you an do this. Have you looked at the menus of the places you have made ADRs at t osee if they'd eat the adult items? Also, if you have booked all buffets they are allowed to eat off of the adult section as well as the kids section.

Are you sure about that price? I think it will cost around $30/day more per child.

Hm. We go to signature restaurant's every night and have found that the kid's menu's are not identical.

I would double check those prices, that figure seems quite low. If you go to several buffet's it isn't worth the money and there are plenty of choices.

We had to get the adult dining plan last trip and it was quite a lot of food!

If you are going for 14 days you my be much better off buying Annual Passes, having your reservation as room-only, and buying the TiW discount card rather than using a dining plan. If you are using a dining plan and you indicate on the reservation that the children are 10 or older you will be paying for both tickets and dining plan at the adult price.

Are you on free dining? If you are, the only thing you would have to figure is the difference between child and adult tickets since you'd have to buy them adult tickets. If you're not on free dining, figure the difference between the adult and child dining plan plus the difference between adult and child tickets so you can figure out if it's still worth it to you to upgrade them. Alternatively, check the menus. There are ways to find restaurants that don't serve typical kiddie fare. If you are on a plan with table service, try buffets or all you can eat family style restaurants - anyone can eat anything served at those places. At CS, many adult meals are also large enough to share with the children, you can use snacks to buy extra food for the children, or you can supplement the kids meals with snacks or a couple of extra sides OOP, which depending on how many times you do it can work out better than paying for adult plans plus tickets.

Ok, maybe I didn't figure it out correctly but I went to Wdw.com and entered all the information and changed the kids ages to 10 and 11. I then subtract that package from the one that we have now. We are going during free dining but I upgraded to the basic plan instead of quick service. We may have 1 or 2 buffets but that's it.

I was just thinking out loud to see if it's worth it or not.

Then you'd have to combine the difference between the adult and child DDP upgrade (I think it's $8 per night, $16 per night for two children) plus the difference between adult and child park tickets for both children.

Yes in my opinion it is worth it. I changed my 9 yo to 10 for this trip, he turns 10 a month later. He was so disappointed the past 2 years eating the same things except for the few places we could find something different for him, and he is an adventerous eater. Usually I let him have my dessert at the restaurants, because he waas tired of eating a scoop of ice cream or fruit that they offered and he always used to get upset at Le Celier when he couldn't order the smores dessert. He is almost as tall as I am and those kids meals did nothing for him, if I wasn't very hungry, I would let him have my adult size meal and eat his, but it got old. I'm paying the difference for his ticket and dining plan no free dining for us this year, so it isn't hurting any one and he has more choices.

We did this for our DS (9). We booked the BB last year for free dining. It is soooo worth it for us. All we had to do is pay the difference in ticket prices, adult/children.

I upgraded my ds (6 at the time) last summer during free dining. I think it came to an extra $13 a day. I primarily did it for the CS meals. I wanted him to have more options. Plus, the CS meals are such huge portions, I wanted us to be able to share so we'd have extra meals to use for breakfast some mornings. At the TS places, he always ordered from from the kids menu anyway. At several TS places, I was given a little grief (Maya Grill, SciFi, Crystal Palace). The server's always had to double-check our card to make sure ds was on as an adult. Then explained that if he did order from the children's menu, they would have to adjust the price as an adult meal. They seemed annoyed. Really they shouldn't have been so upset, because since they were charging more for his meal, it increased the cost of the bill which added to their tip. This year, I'm not upgrading him. For the additional charge, I figure if we need an extra CS meal here or there, it'll be more cost effective to pay OOP.

At first reading this I thought it was nuts... would be talking $30 more per day, per child to do this.
BUT.... with free QS upgraded to regular dining you're talking $10 per kid each... so $20 a day to upgrade both of your kids to regular as "adults'. If kept them as kids, it would be $2 each, so $4 per day.
You're talking $16 per day to upgrade both of them, total.... yes, I think it is worth it. I think that $214 number you mentioned is correct what it would be.

If doing buffets, won't matter, as kids or adults, have same access to amount of food. For counter service/food court I don't think you'll find much more variety or food or advantage to making them adults.

Other table service meals... yes, can be worth it as long as they like what's on the adult menu. Do they usually eat off the adult menu when eating out at home locally with you and have the appetite to do so? If so, then yeah, could be worth making them 'adults'. If doing a lot of table service at nonbuffet restaurants, I think yes, could give them a lot more variety - if they want the variety. I have one kid who if every restaurant had a hotdog on the menu, he's thrilled and that's what he wants! Also, if adult meals too big for them and can't finish.... then you can if still hungry! I know for CRT I LOVE the Major Domo's pie and can't wait till my now "adult" daughter orders it and can't finish it all - more for ME:rotfl:

My daughter that becomes an "adult" this upcoming trip is so excited to eat off the adult menu, but in reality I know that many times she will end up not liking what's on the menu, and want off the kids' menu - which hopefully they'll maybe give her a bigger kids portion?

Take a look at the menus where you'll be dining... see what variety there is for the kids at those places, and what off the adult menu they may like to help decide.

With now 4 Disney adults in your room you might just want to upgrade to a moderate resort. The cost will be similar to staying at a value and then upgrading the QSDP to the DDP. You would get a bigger room and a fridge and a resort with a waterslide.

With now 4 Disney adults in your room you might just want to upgrade to a moderate resort. The cost will be similar to staying at a value and then upgrading the QSDP to the DDP. You would get a bigger room and a fridge and a resort with a waterslide.

It's only 3 of us for this trip. DH doesn't "DO" Disney, LOL. But I will have to check that out. We have always stayed at value resorts. What is the best moderate resort to stay at?

I have only stayed at POFQ (the original PO). I like that PO and POFQ are near each other and you can take the boat to and from. You can also get to DTD using the boat. I think you can also share the pools between the two resorts. POFQ is the smaller of the two.

I have also mostly stayed at values. I only stayed at POFQ because of the cruise, as we did a land/sea package. We added a few more nights before the pkg at All-Star Music.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter