• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Changing Hotel with Free Disney Dining Plan

Joules1111

Gearing up for 3 y/os first Disney Trip
I booked the free disney dining plan when it was available (I think at the beginning of August). I originally booked for 4 nights at All Star Sports, thinking it would be a good idea to drive back to South Florida on Friday night after 5 days at WDW.

After the promotion ended I had second thoughts and decided I would like to add a hotel for that Friday night. All Star Sports is now completely booked for that night. I found availability at Pop Century for that night and figured we could just have the luggage transferred in the morning.

However, now I am wondering if I could pay the extra and have the whole reservation moved to Pop Century while still retaining our Free Disney Dining plan. I have google searched it and found contradictory information. I also called the reservation line and was told that the agent thought I would lose the free dining plan - but she seemed uncertain and a bit new.

So, does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. :)

Since you added the Pop Century night without the free dining, I do not believe you can extend that reservation AND add free dining. You could try just moving the Sports reservation to Pop but you'd still have 2 separate reservations, and there would have to be availability of a free dining room at Pop on your dates.

You may or may not be able to switch.

Firstly, Pop must be willing to book you a free-dining room. It is possible they were not available under the now-expired code for your dates. Each resort sets the number and type of rooms available for any given promo, and when they're gone, they're gone... even though it may still be possible to book a room for the exact same dates under a different promo or using no promo at all. So there's that.

In many cases, recently-expired promotions can be retroactively re-applied to your reservation when you change dates or resorts, assuming you used it to book in the first place (which you apparently did) and that your new dates or resort is covered by the original promo. Often, if this is possible with the promo you want to re-apply, it requires the efforts of a supervisor type who can go in to your portfolio and apply the expired code back to your modified reservation.

It is not always possible, or successful. But if it's worth some phone time to you, you can try. Just be clear that you do not wish to "save" any changes until they can confirm that what you want is do-able.

Thank you all for the quick replies and information.
It is not always possible, or successful. But if it's worth some phone time to you, you can try. Just be clear that you do not wish to "save" any changes until they can confirm that what you want is do-able.

I am willing to put in some phone time. Do I call the Pop Century hotel directly or the Disney reservation line?

You will need to call the same Disney resort reservation number you called when you made the earlier reservation. The CM who answers the phone will not be able to make the modification you want. You will need to speak with Guest Services. Usually the answering CM will act as a liaison between you and GS rather than transfer you directly to GS. To change your FD res from All Stars to Pop there has to be availability at Pop for the nights you want to stay, but since only a limited number of rooms are allocated to FD promos, it is possible that Pop is already fully booked.

This is a little frustrating. I called the Disney reservation line after reading the posts in this thread. The lady was very helpful, and indicated that she should be able to make the switch, while retaining the free-dining. However, when she checked for availability at Pop Century there was none (I checked later and the time frame I was looking at was unavailable - even for a room only rate). She encouraged me to call back after the 45-day mark, as people would be cancelling reservations to avoid cancellation penalities.

I checked a few minutes ago, and the Pop Century has room only rates available for my time frame (Nov. 10-14, I'm not even trying to add that additional last day). I called just now and this lady said that there would be no way to change my hotel AND keep my free-dining plan. She said that it wasn't possible since the code expired.

So, do I just keep calling? Will I eventually get the right timing of available rooms and a knowledgeable reservation agent?????

Your only hope is that Pop opens up a room for the nights you need, not just one or part of the nights but all of them. That's the only way you'll get the code re-applied at the Pop.

It is frustrating, but yes, you will have to rinse and repeat until it works out the way you want. As always, just be sure to be firm about not wanting to actually make any changes until you get what you are after.

Second lady was incorrect, in that they can make the adjustment and apply the expired code to a modified booking. As mentioned before, it's "guest services" (read: more advanced/supervisor-type CMs) who will actually have to do it, the folks who answer the phones can't.

And to keep yourself from going too bonkers, know that it matters not if you do an online "check and see" search and a room is available at Pop when you need it. What matters is if there is a room available in the system that can be used with the promotion. These are two different things. Even people who try to book a room at a specific resort - Pop or otherwise - using a promotion that is still active - that is, not expired - may not get any availability with the code they are trying to use. Never mind putting your particular twist (expired code) into the mix.

And, as veterans will tell you, if you get a CM on the phone that is not interested in helping or who seems not to understand what you're wanting, politely end the conversation and call back.

Good luck!pixiedust:

I would try and get an experienced Disney TA to help! You never know if they have nicked off rooms. Mine got me free dining way after the promotion came out.

Your only hope is that Pop opens up a room for the nights you need, not just one or part of the nights but all of them. That's the only way you'll get the code re-applied at the Pop.

It is frustrating, but yes, you will have to rinse and repeat until it works out the way you want. As always, just be sure to be firm about not wanting to actually make any changes until you get what you are after.

Second lady was incorrect, in that they can make the adjustment and apply the expired code to a modified booking. As mentioned before, it's "guest services" (read: more advanced/supervisor-type CMs) who will actually have to do it, the folks who answer the phones can't.

And to keep yourself from going too bonkers, know that it matters not if you do an online "check and see" search and a room is available at Pop when you need it. What matters is if there is a room available in the system that can be used with the promotion. These are two different things. Even people who try to book a room at a specific resort - Pop or otherwise - using a promotion that is still active - that is, not expired - may not get any availability with the code they are trying to use. Never mind putting your particular twist (expired code) into the mix.

And, as veterans will tell you, if you get a CM on the phone that is not interested in helping or who seems not to understand what you're wanting, politely end the conversation and call back.

Good luck!pixiedust:

Thanks for the info. The fifth night is not currently under the Free Dining Plan and I figure that as it is already at Pop Century (vs. the 4 nights at All Star Sports) it is better to not even bring it up during the call. I know that the rooms need to be available under the expired free dining code but I figure if there are no rooms available to reserve then calling at all is a dead in - is that right? And thanks again for the advice and hand holding. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter