• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Changing home resorts

epaul89

Earning My Ears
I have a question. We own at SSR and while I like the more years we will get (we are in our mid 20s) I am not to crazy about the size and location of the resort. I was wondering if it is possible to transfer my points to a different home resort? Preferrably BCV or Comtemporary if the rumors are true.

I have a question. We own at SSR and while I like the more years we will get (we are in our mid 20s) I am not to crazy about the size and location of the resort. I was wondering if it is possible to transfer my points to a different home resort? Preferrably BCV or Comtemporary if the rumors are true.

AFAIK, the only way to change home resorts is to sell one and buy another.:confused:

You'd need to sell your existing contract and buy a contract for the home resort of your choice.

When you bought SSR, you actually bought a physical interest in the property - it's a real estate purchase. That's what makes it your home resort; you own a small percentage of that particular resort.

Depending on what home resort you want, You may consider doing an add-on and then possibly selling the master contract. Or you could just keep what you have and do a smaller and on.What's best depends on your situation keeping in mind which home resort you would prefer and how many points you would need.For animal kingdom Villas or after,You will probably be better off buying directly from Disney. For other properties you will likely be better off selling more you have and buying resale.

Dean,
I am not yet a DVC member but I see a lot of members with interest in a number of the resorts. So which is the "home" resort. If they have interest in 1 to 4 of them how does Disney determine which is home, or do these people have "11 month" privileges at all the resorts they own interest in??

Monty

I am not yet a DVC member but I see a lot of members with interest in a number of the resorts. So which is the "home" resort. If they have interest in 1 to 4 of them how does Disney determine which is home, or do these people have "11 month" privileges at all the resorts they own interest in??

Any resort in which you purchase a real estate interest in, is one in which you enjoy the home resort booking advantage, but only for the points you actually purchased at that resort.

Thus, I have purchased at four resorts, so I have the home resort booking advantage at those four resorts, using the points I purchased at those four resorts.

So if I understand you correctly, if you have 100 points at each of 4 resorts you can only book 100pts worth at any one of the resorts at the 11 month period? And you can you book 400pts at the 7 month period for any of your or any resort.... right?

mp

So if I understand you correctly, if you have 100 points at each of 4 resorts you can only book 100pts worth at any one of the resorts at the 11 month period? And you can you book 400pts at the 7 month period for any of your or any resort.... right?

mp

Pretty much. Most people seem to do the bank borrow thing - so once every three years they have a 300 point trip at their "secondary" resort booking the whole thing at 11 months.

mp

Right. And I'm one of the multi-home resort owners who doesn't do the banking and borrowing thing. I use my HH points to book 11 months in advance at HH during the summer, because that is a very difficult reservation to get otherwise. For the remainder of our stays at WDW, I use my BCV and AKV points, and I make a reservation as soon as I know we are going, but rarely 11 months ahead. We are usually happy to stay at any available resort - in fact, most of our recent stays have been at VWL, which we love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter