Changing from one room to another - what about cost?

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
So we have two rooms, 3 in one room and 2 in the other. We're midway paying off both rooms and I'm thinking about moving that third person to the other room. If I do this after the rooms are nearly paid off, what happens to the excess monies that have been put towards one room and now the charges show up on the other room? Will they transfer anything from one to the other? Can I request some monies be transferred? Or am I stuck with a refund from one room and owing on the other?

They could take the money from the one reservation that you removed the person from and apply it to the room you put them into.
It would have to be done with guest services assistance though, but it can be done. Best to do it before final payment. Also, understand that any plans or port adventures made for the one guest would not automatically transfer with them to the new room. And would be based on availability.

I'm thinking to do it well before Online check in, so I won't have to worry about moving port adventures. I was thinking DCL could just do the move mid-reservation, like 6 months before.

Please be aware that you would be cancelling the 3rd guest in the current room and then rebooking them in the second room. So they would be subject to the current fare when you move them. This could raise your cost if there was any increase between the time you originally booked them and when you make the change (usually not as much fluctuation on 3rd guest fares as the first 2 but could be some). Is there a reason you need to change this in advance? Can you wait until check-in and then just ask them to key this 3rd person to the other room?

Please be aware that you would be cancelling the 3rd guest in the current room and then rebooking them in the second room. So they would be subject to the current fare when you move them. This could raise your cost if there was any increase between the time you originally booked them and when you make the change (usually not as much fluctuation on 3rd guest fares as the first 2 but could be some). Is there a reason you need to change this in advance? Can you wait until check-in and then just ask them to key this 3rd person to the other room?
I've never heard that. If I'm just switching someone from one room to another, I have to cancel and rebook?

I've never heard that. If I'm just switching someone from one room to another, I have to cancel and rebook?

Yep ... I thought about trying it on one of our cruises... Its was going to cost $1000. I said no thanks....

Yes for that specific guest, because each cabin is a separate reservation, so you are cancelling a guest from one cabin, which will yield a refund of the original booking fare as you are before DCL PIF. On the second cabin, you are adding a "new" guest at the current fare, as that cabin was only booked with 2 guests in it. So, the original guests 1 and 2 of each cabin will remain the same fares and reservation, but guest 3 from cabin one will no longer be sailing in that cabin and will now be guest 3 in cabin two at the current fare.
Also, if onboard booking benefits (booked onboard or from a placeholder) applied to either of these reservations, they will not apply to the cancelled/rebooked guest.

Okay, so that's a no-go. Glad I checked before introducing a fly into the ointment that is my reservations.

I wouldn't do anything about it. Once you get on the ship, they don't really care which room you sleep in so long as you use the emergency station as assigned. You can get an extra key for the other room which you paid for and this can give access as needed. Then just talk to the room stew' to make up beds as needed ...... did I explain in a way you can follow????

We did a cruise with 3 rooms and the way folks ended up sleeping was WAY DIFFERENT from how it was booked but no one cared . . .

Yeah, I know. But the person in question is my youngest (he's a teen, though). He doesn't like when things are different for him than everyone else, so I just wanted his KWWC to be correct, like all the others.

I know everyone talks about getting a second card to the room. We didn't do that - we were all adults and didn't need to have extra access to the other room. We asked the res agent to have everyone's KTTW card match the room they would be sleeping in, not necessarily the one they were booked in and they did that for us. I think if you ask (and if the res agent in the terminal can't do it, Guest Services should) you can have your teen's KTTW card work for the room you want him to be sleeping in so he'd be just like everyone else.

That may have to be the case. It's not the end of the world, I just wanted things the "right" way. And we'll probably have the same stateroom attendant anyway. If not, I'll make sure to move the tips so they match the room.

Once you are on board, they don't really care where you sleep. Just get extra key made at Guest Services for the Guest in Question so they can get into both cabins and sleep your guests where you want. We have done this several times! We always book two rooms sometimes adjoining, before one of my daughters was 21(You have to be 21 to have a reservation in your name, My girls were 20, 18, and 17 , Plenty old enough to be across the hall or in an adjoining room) we would have to book one room under my husband and the other under me, then we would just sleep the girls in one room and my husband and I in the other, but get keys made for whoever needed them. They won't actually change your KTTW card, they will just give you a blank room key.

Once you are on board, they don't really care where you sleep. Just get extra key made at Guest Services for the Guest in Question so they can get into both cabins and sleep your guests where you want. We have done this several times! We always book two rooms sometimes adjoining, before one of my daughters was 21(You have to be 21 to have a reservation in your name, My girls were 20, 18, and 17 , Plenty old enough to be across the hall or in an adjoining room) we would have to book one room under my husband and the other under me, then we would just sleep the girls in one room and my husband and I in the other, but get keys made for whoever needed them. They won't actually change your KTTW card, they will just give you a blank room key.

You can actually have a cabin your name at 18, but the other guests in that cabin cannot be under 18, hence two 18-year olds can book a cabin together. You have to be 21 to have the other guests in your cabin be under 18.

You can actually have a cabin your name at 18, but the other guests in that cabin cannot be under 18, hence two 18-year olds can book a cabin together. You have to be 21 to have the other guests in your cabin be under 18.
So a 20 year old with their 1 year old child can't cruise?

I actually ran into this situation last summer. Both my husband and I had each a room we booked on a previous cruise for discount's sake, but we wanted to sleep together and put young adults/teens in their own room which was adjourning to ours. We just kept the adjourning door open most of the time and it all worked out ok. We never changed the reservation, we would have lost the booking on the ship discount. Our family is go with the flow kind of people though. We didn't get new keys because we didn't need them.

Last edited:
I actually ran into this situation last summer. Both my husband and I had each a room we booked on a previous cruise for discount's sake, but we wanted to sleep together and put young adults/teens in their own room which was adjourning to ours. We just kept the adjourning door open most of the time and it all worked out ok. We never changed the reservation or got new keys, we would have lost the booking on the ship discount. Our family is go with the flow kind of people though.
We had adjoining rooms with the in-laws. We kept the the adjoining door at least unlocked usually. DH and I kept to our assigned room and the ILs kept to their assigned room, but our 3 kids just went between the rooms

I actually ran into this situation last summer. Both my husband and I had each a room we booked on a previous cruise for discount's sake, but we wanted to sleep together and put young adults/teens in their own room which was adjourning to ours. We just kept the adjourning door open most of the time and it all worked out ok. We never changed the reservation or got new keys, we would have lost the booking on the ship discount. Our family is go with the flow kind of people though.

You lose the discount if you ask for a blank key? We were planning on doing this with the folks in the future. DH and I book using placeholders one in each room, Mom with me, Dad with DH. Then just ask for additional blank keys once onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter