Changing Date Inside our 75 day out date

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Postal68, Jun 25, 2013.

  1. Postal68

    Postal68 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Messages:
    768
    Dilemma...
    My wife had a health scare and had to undergo surgeries and treatment after we booked and had our cruise paid of in full. Due to the long healing time and treatment schedule, we found out last week she will not be finished until the second week of August. Our Dream Cruise was scheduled to leave on August 25th, but her doctor told her that she will have to make sure she keeps covered up and will not be able to go in either the pool or the Ocean/Sea except possibly waste high.

    I told her that is no way to enjoy a vacation. She won't even be able to sit on the beach at Castaway Cay and be able to cool off.

    We do have insurance through our booking with Dreams Unlimited. We didn't want to take the kids out of school but we are now considering moving it back to the end of September or October when my wife will be able to enjoy the water. I have a few questions.

    As I said we are paid in full, so..
    -if we move our cruise back(not cancel) will we lose any money and approximately how much?

    -the one date we are looking at comes in at about $400 less for the same amount of nights and same category, would that be refunded to us?

    - I am trying to talk her into changing it to the Refurbed Magic. We would get an extra night and it would only be about $200 more. However my wife insists it is a "downgrade" because it is a smaller ship. I tried to explain to her that many people prefer the classic ships, and the Magic will be fresh out of drydock and the entire ship will be redone. Any opinions on this?
     
  2. Avatar

    Google AdSense Guest Advertisement


    to hide this advert.
  3. JnDRader

    JnDRader Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    May 29, 2012
    Messages:
    358
    FWIW, we've done the Dream and Wonder and wouldn't consider either to be an upgrade over the other. They're both very nice in their own way. I wouldn't let ship type be a consideration unless you specifically wanted a certain show or the aquaduck. So yeah, I'd switch to the Magic too :).
     
  4. mmouse37

    mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2001
    Messages:
    27,494
    I also would not worry about the ship choice....but, I would check with your DU TA to see what cancellation fees may apply since you are within the penalty phase. They would be the best ones to tell you how to proceed with the booking, how to handle the insurance company, etc. Best to get it from the horse's mouth so to speak!!

    Sorry about your wife's health scare....I agree it would not be a fun way to vacation....pushing it back is probably a good idea but contact DU to see what your options are.

    Good luck.

    MJ
     
  5. jilljill

    jilljill <font color=blue>Collects Disney men!<br><font col

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2003
    Messages:
    18,153
    You need to talk with your TA and read your travel insurance policy to see how this would be handled. You can even call the insurance company yourself to see what they say about changing your date and the cost difference.
     
  6. Deluzy

    Deluzy Taking on the Wonderful World of Disney - one park

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2002
    Messages:
    136
    Within 75 days, DCL considers it a cancel and rebook; regardless if you have their insurance or an outside insurer. They do not change the dates anymore within 75 days.

    Contact your TA to advise as your insurance may not cover this cancellation since she can technically travel.

    Best wishes to your wife :)
     
  7. SuzanneSLO

    SuzanneSLO DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 1999
    Messages:
    3,296
    Right now, if you cancel you will lose your deposit. If you wait until you are 44 days or less from sailing, you will lose at least 50% of your fare. Insurance may not pick up the difference if you could have cancelled sooner.

    If you have DCL insurance, you will be able to apply your fare to a future sailing, even if the cancellation is not covered by insurance ( for example, the doctor okays travel but you would prefer to wait). I don't believe you would get a refund if the next cruise is less expensive ( but you may be able to carry a balance forward to yet another cruise). You will be out the cost of the insurance.

    Best wishes to your wife on a speedy recovery. -- Suzanne
     
  8. castmbr

    castmbr DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    May 22, 2000
    Messages:
    539
    I think it is actually 50% within 55 days.
     
  9. Callymum

    Callymum DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2011
    Messages:
    787
    We had to move our Cruise last year when my Dad took ill. We were only 10days from our Cruise. We got a letter from the Doctor stating that we had to cancel or Move our Trip. Disney fined us $300 and we moved to September this year.

    We were covered with insurance but didn't want to cancel.

    The Cruise date we picked was cheaper so we actually got $60 back on our Card.
    We were booked with DU at the Time also.:)
     

Share This Page