changing ADR to different restaurant the day of

luvpooh

oh bother!
I have read reviews where the person indicated they had an ADR at x restaurant, but decided that day to change to y restaurant.

Will you be penalized as a no-show if you cancel and rebook at another location? Can you do this online, or does it necessitate a phone call to Disney Dining?

I've read that some folks have been able to change their ADR (usually just the time) if they call Disney Dining. If you cancel and rebook online, you will be charged the no show fee for the first reservation.

Your best bet is to call. But be aware that you may end up paying the no show fee, as technically you are supposed to cancel by the night before.

Will you be penalized as a no-show if you cancel and rebook at another location?

1) Ultimately, it is up to the restaurant manager whether to charge the no-show penalty or not.
2) The reservation people may say no charges, but the restaurant has the final say and can override the ressie people.

NOTE: As many of us know, the phone ressie people are woefully ignorant to WDW policies. They frequently promise things for which they cannot deliver. I seldom trust a reservation person when making changes. Sometimes they even send an email confirming facts or dates which are not true and cannot be guaranteed.

If you talk directly to the restaurant (as in, walk up to the podium and speak to the hostess in person), you may be able to change the time of your ADR without penalty. At least, I've heard of people successfully doing that.

However, there is no way to "change" your ADR to another restaurant. You simply have to cancel the first and make a new ADR for the second, so you are then held responsible for the late cancellation of the first. It makes sense, because you deciding to dine at another restaurant doesn't help the first restaurant any, they still don't get that revenue if they don't "fill your spot". (And unfortunately for you, even if they do, you don't get credit for it.)

I was able to do this once. We showed up for a Flying Fish reservation, but they were running 45 minutes late. My DS was really hungry, so I called Disney Dining and they got us an ADR at Tokyo Dining instead. FF knew we were leaving and they apologized that they were running so far behind. They did not hit us with a no-show fee. So, I really think it all depends on the circumstances of the ADR change.

They did not hit us with a no-show fee. So, I really think it all depends on the circumstances of the ADR change.

1) As mentioned, it is SOLELY up to the eatery to either invoke the penalty or not.
2) Frequently, the manager will give such authority to the SEATER (aka, host/hostess) at the podium.
3) As long as it is properly marked on the "Ala Carte" dining system, you are good.

As I said, I've read more than one dining review or trip report where the writer indicated they changed their reservation the day of. Perhaps they did incur a fee in each situation, but nobody made mention.

As far as 'committing', well, life isn't perfect, plans change, and it's always good to know if alternatives can be had.

With regard to the restaurant manager having the absolute say as to whether a fee is charged or not, is that what happened in the situation where I accidentally made an ADR for the same day (instead of for during my trip)? I immediately called Disney Dining and was able to cancel without penalty.

People are posting the official policy as it appears on the Disney website, on the dining reservations pages and on the phone, but the reality is there are many instances when restaurant managers and castmembers will be sympathetic and not enforce the policies. However, no one can guarantee when this will happen so rather than say "sure, you can change your reservation at the last minute because they won't penalize you no matter what your reason" it is better to know what can happen if you cancel on the day of and the manager or CM you get decides to follow the policy.

The example of making the reservation for the same day, then realizing the error and calling to cancel probably happens frequently when someone sees a desired res and forgets to check the date. If you hadn't realized it, you probably would have seen the penalty charge on your next credit card statement and you would have to call Disney to have it reversed.

I immediately called Disney Dining and was able to cancel without penalty.

1) Disney Dining might have listed no-penalty in the computer.
2) And, promised you no fee.
3) But, it is up to the restaurant manager to decide whether or not to follow the recommendation.
4) At the end of the day, the manager-on-duty makes a case-by-case determination which no-show gets charged a penalty.
5) Let us all remember that reservation people are known for handing out misinformation and bad promises.

NOTE1: There are very few days that someone does not come up to our desk and complain about a no-show penalty fee - when promised there would be no charge. Do we sometimes cancel the fee? Yep. However, when we override a restaurant manager, the hotel/resort is responsible for paying that fee. We get "counseled" if we permit too many added costs to the resort, as the Resort General manager is responsible for his/he profit margin.
NOTE2: Profit Margin is the same principle behind Free Dining. Neither WDW-Corporate nor restaurants pay for free dining, each resort that offers rooms with Free Dining pays for the dining. That is why fewer and fewer resorts offer Free Dining, and when they do, there are fewer rooms available with FD.

Last edited:
On our last trip, we had to leave a couple of days early and had and ADR for the day we left. I called Disney Dining and asked to reschedule the ADR for the next day, then I was able to go in and cancel the ADR without paying the cancellation fee. I found out about this when I called on a different trip about changing the time from 6pm to 7pm. The cast member was able to change the time without cancelling and told me that as long as the confirmation number remained in tact, I wouldn't be charged a now show for the original time.

I think I read on the DIS that they may have closed this loophole so I don't know if it still works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter