changes to GAC with AP issued at WDW

So if I understand this, they are asking for ID for the person needing the GAC. If that is correct, here is my situation.

My son has autism. He does have a state ID-that has his full name. We call him by his middle name, but he does know his legal first name. Is it possible for me to ask that the GS CM put his middle name in paranthesis after his first name.

So if I understand this, they are asking for ID for the person needing the GAC. If that is correct, here is my situation.

My son has autism. He does have a state ID-that has his full name. We call him by his middle name, but he does know his legal first name. Is it possible for me to ask that the GS CM put his middle name in paranthesis after his first name.

I would just say to the CM what you said here. I can't imagine it being a problem, especially if his ID has his middle name. However, I don't think it would be that big of a deal if it doesn't.

I would just say to the CM what you said here. I can't imagine it being a problem, especially if his ID has his middle name. However, I don't think it would be that big of a deal if it doesn't.
I agree.
It should not be a problem at all. The CMs at Guest Relations are the ones likely to ask for ID. The others at attractions will be asking which person is xxxx (reading the name off the card). They may ask the person what their name is to match with the name on the card, but they are used to guests who are not capable of answering.

Are they only asking for ID for adults? My daughter is thirteen and doesn't have an ID card. We've never had the need for one.

I agree.
It should not be a problem at all. The CMs at Guest Relations are the ones likely to ask for ID. The others at attractions will be asking which person is xxxx (reading the name off the card). They may ask the person what their name is to match with the name on the card, but they are used to guests who are not capable of answering.

To follow up on my experience, it was only at Guest Relations when they were issuing that they asked for his ID. In the 7 days in the parks he was not asked for ID but on many occasions we were asked "So who is --------?", even though it is very obvious. He would acknowledge them or put out his hand. They would then ask us how many?

Are they only asking for ID for adults? My daughter is thirteen and doesn't have an ID card. We've never had the need for one.

Not exactly for a GAC but disability related.... in our recent experience WDW has been asking dd for an id even though she is under 13. Their "policy" was created without taking into consideration disabilities.

I think the changes are good, I hope that they are able to tighten the reigns a bit more. I know people will always cheat the system or a find a way, but if they ever figure out a way to make it really difficult to cheat the system that would be wonderful.

About the ID thing, I hope this doesn't offend people but why don't parents get their children IDs? :confused3 It may never be needed but you never know if you will need it and it's better to have one just in case. My mom got me one when I was five, while they aren't mandatory I feel like they should be. It's not that hard to get one. Doesn't anyone have a school ID?

I don't know that they are asking children for IDs, my DS is in his 20's. You could probably carry a Birth Certificate or Passport just fine. Our reality check was him flying after he turned 18, we hadn't even thought about that.

PS and this was asking for an ID specifically in trying to obtain a GAC. It was the only thing we were doing at the counter at that moment.

I think the changes are good, I hope that they are able to tighten the reigns a bit more. I know people will always cheat the system or a find a way, but if they ever figure out a way to make it really difficult to cheat the system that would be wonderful.

About the ID thing, I hope this doesn't offend people but why don't parents get their children IDs? :confused3 It may never be needed but you never know if you will need it and it's better to have one just in case. My mom got me one when I was five, while they aren't mandatory I feel like they should be. It's not that hard to get one. Doesn't anyone have a school ID?

No. Lots of schools don't have ID and then there are children who are home-schooled.

Not exactly for a GAC but disability related.... in our recent experience WDW has been asking dd for an id even though she is under 13. Their "policy" was created without taking into consideration disabilities.

This comment is a direct quote from 2 front line managers at MK GS.

My son doesn't have an ID and it's time to "renew" his GAC. His last one was given for a month's duration. It will be interesting to see how things are handled at Disney the next time we go.

We were at Universal last Monday. They wanted my information and not his for the computer.

This comment is a direct quote from 2 front line managers at MK GS.

I don't see your point. Having an ID card and having a disability are not at all related. How does having a disability affect your ability to get an ID. Anyone can get a state issued ID.

I don't see your point. Having an ID card and having a disability are not at all related. How does having a disability affect your ability to get an ID. Anyone can get a state issued ID.

:confused3 I did not say having a disability affected the ability to get an ID.

I was making reference to the fact that since my dd HAS a disability-she is being asked for an ID.

Wait what? They are asking for ID for kids? My dd is six, and we leave tomorrow morning, and I don't have an ID for her..... Should I be concerned? Her disability is NOT invisible in the slightest, if that makes any difference.

Wait what? They are asking for ID for kids? My dd is six, and we leave tomorrow morning, and I don't have an ID for her..... Should I be concerned? Her disability is NOT invisible in the slightest, if that makes any difference.

You should be fine. My dd is over 6 so in WDW speak she is an "adult". No worries! I hope you have an amazing trip!

We had a GAC for my son with autism. It was only valid for the dates we were registered for the parks. Also, CM's were very diligent checking dates, party size, and often asking/greeting my son by name. It's sad, but not surprising that others would abuse this accommodation. I felt bad about utilizing it at first, but it truly made our trip more enjoyable for all of us, especially my son who had fewer meltdowns even with all the translations and sensory overload at the world. We got our card at Epcot, outside the ticket gates before rope drop, took like 2 minutes!
I also felt guilty about the GAC when I acquired it for my 8 yr old daughter with autism. The guilt was only due to the fact that I knew I would be able to use another entrance for her and me. And that entrance would benefit us by not having to wait on a long line. However, Disney provides this allowance for its guests that have some issues, physical and cognitive. Having that GAC meant the trip was wonderful for her. Without it, the experience would have been miserable.

Check your state motor vehicle or license department.
Most do have ID available for people who do not drive, even children.
Some have a lowered cost for those than for a license.

Some doctors offices are starting to require picture ID when seeing patients, so it's not a bad thing to get. A lot of places will take the adult's picture ID when a child doesn't have one.

SueM in MN said:
Check your state motor vehicle or license department.
Most do have ID available for people who do not drive, even children.
Some have a lowered cost for those than for a license.

Some doctors offices are starting to require picture ID when seeing patients, so it's not a bad thing to get. A lot of places will take the adult's picture ID when a child doesn't have one.

Our state does not do this until age 18, then technically you are supposed to have a picture ID by law. But they do not offer it for minor children.
And none of the schools in our county issue picture IDs. They don't 'use' them for anything at all. So they are an unnecessary expense that the school system is unwilling to carry a burden for on an already over stretched budget. So kids in our area don't had an ID (unless the parents get them a passport) until they are old enough to get their learner's permit/driver's license.

I could be wrong. And I will double check when I am working next. But I believe the ID (for under 18 )is more to spell the name more than anything else. If you have a KTTW card that works as well.

An ID is normally required for anything having to do with changing tickets, reservations, any type of compensation etc.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter