Changes to dining plan entitlements-exchanging meals for snacks!

So it's looking as though Disney has now "soft opened" these new DDP features should anyone ask, but they don't plan on officially announcing it to the world until 4 June. And the (now-quashed) rumour of Dole Whips and other items losing their Snack status was just an error or a misreading of WDW's website.

Andre

Although we've been able to do a few of these before, it will be nice for it to be official. At Flame Tree and Columbia Harbour House, we always skip dessert and get bagged grapes/apples or yogurt instead. I don't always order a QS for my DD because she'll share with me and DS (especially if I trade dessert for more sides), so I can use her QS credit for more snacks :teeth: It will definitely be nice when I'm using lots of snack credits for F&W!

If you read the possible changes, you won't be getting more snack credits. It's only making official what usually happens at resort locations on people's check out day. They have extra QS credits, and the QS place allows them to make a type of meal with three snack items. Just because you have 2 extra QS credits, doesn't mean you will have 6 more snack credits to use anytime/anywhere during your stay.

So if my 9 year old chooses an entree from the adult menu, would they also get the adult size drink and dessert as well? That is too much for me let alone for her. But at some counter services she would rather have the adult entree. Especially the chicken nuggets.

I think you will be able to get what you want. An adult entree with a small drink and the grapes or cookie from the child meal will probably be allowed. That is if they even keep kid's meals at all. Since all QSDP credits will be the same, my guess is the child's QSDP will go away completely, and there will be just ONE QSDP for everyone at the same price. And since they don't need the kid's meals for the plan, they may go away as well.

If you read the possible changes, you won't be getting more snack credits. It's only making official what usually happens at resort locations on people's check out day. They have extra QS credits, and the QS place allows them to make a type of meal with three snack items. Just because you have 2 extra QS credits, doesn't mean you will have 6 more snack credits to use anytime/anywhere during your stay.

From the way I read it, yes 2 QS credits could be used for 6 snacks but they would need to be used to 'purchase' 3 snacks at a time. At any time a person will be able to exchange 1 QS credit for 3 snacks.

I am just very happy that my favourite' caramel peanut apple' will now be eligible to purchase using a snack credit! We used to purchase 2 or 3 of these to share each trip so they'll be a great use of snack credits for us!

Last edited:
If your child chooses an adult meal they are eligible for ALL the adult allotments including beverage and dessert.

You can always substitute the dessert now, for any non-alcoholic beverages or anything on the side menu.

Has also been published that at table service, you can substitute the dessert for either a side salad, a cup of soup, or a fruit cup. What each restaurant has available is going to depend on that restaurant. You still can't just order an appetizer off the menu instead of the dessert.

I saw some folks getting excited about maybe being able to use quick service credits for food & wine festival. Don't think that's happening. Kiosks aren't listed as places to make the trade.

So this is just making it official what already happens? Like the 3 snacks for a counter service was already happening in resorts and rang up as "continental." And the kids ordering adult meals at QS was already possible as the credits weren't differentiated (you just couldn't order more meals than were listed in your party).

It seems like the big deal is switching a dessert for a side item, depending on how that pans out?

That's a change which will likely never happen.

I read on another blog that that is exactly what is going to happen, in addition to allowing you to use TS credits on a guest that is not on the plan. The DxDP plan doesn't get much benefit from this, but the regular DDP does.

Will you be able to exchange kids TS meals for snacks? We're possibly going to Artist Point and sending the kiddo to the cubs den. If we do DDP, we'll end up with 2 leftover kids TS credits. Switching those for snacks would be a huge help for us. Any confirmation on TS trades?

I'd love to be able to switch a dessert for an appetizer. Then, we could split an appetizer between us for one person, then for another person, get dessert and split it as well.

I read on another blog that that is exactly what is going to happen,

Salad, soup, or fruit plate. Not just any old appetizer. The salad or soup, at least, would be single serving. Highly likely this specification is to prevent exactly what I responded to originally.

At Christmas time, you could use a QS credit to get a Sleepy Hollow waffle, water bottle (or other drink) and a cookie. I'd be surprised if they downgraded that to a snack, when they count it as a full meal at certain times of year.

However remember that the "three-snacks-for-a-QS-credit" facility is restricted to specifically named stores, in addition to real QS locations. You can't just go into anywhere that does snacks and get the 3 items conversion.

Andre

So this is just making it official what already happens? Like the 3 snacks for a counter service was already happening in resorts and rang up as "continental." And the kids ordering adult meals at QS was already possible as the credits weren't differentiated (you just couldn't order more meals than were listed in your party).

It seems like the big deal is switching a dessert for a side item, depending on how that pans out?

It was happening in some places but it was not official. Some were turned down when they tried. Now it should happen everywhere that is one of the listed stores or any QS meal service location or food court, no matter which cashier you ask. I would hope they've given training to everyone at the registers.

And it's been noted that switching dessert is different for QS than for TS...for a QS dessert you can get a beverage or anything considered a side, for TS you are limited to a side salad (distinguished from an entree salad), cup of soup or fruit.

They are also abolishing all distinctions between adult credits and child credits (with the single exception of TS credits on the regular plan, which will remain separated between adult credits and child credits). All QS credits can now be officially used for either adult or child meals anywhere, regardless of the price paid for them. No need for a CM to check your magic band to see how many adults and children you have, just order whatever you want. Same with meal credits on the deluxe plan, or Premium/Platinum package meal credits.

AND, you can use your credits to buy meals for anyone, even those who are not on DDP or on your reservation. There will no longer be any restriction on the number of credits you are permitted to spend in one transaction.

Last edited:
I understand that. What I was saying is that I can use all my regular snack credits at F&W, then use my extra QS credits for actual snacks (yes, 3 at the same location, approved locations only). Then, I get my yummy F&W offerings and my kids still get there rice krispee treats/cookies/etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter