• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Changes - No More Combining Gift Cards

mgmcpa

Disneyland Lover
This info is all as of November 19, 2013

Today I went into a Disney Store (in Northern California) with a stack of 6 of the $50 Disney Gift Cards (that I bought with my 5% discount at Target) to combine them into one $300 card. NO DICE.

The Manager said that the policy had been changed and that they could not sell gift cards that were tendered for payment with a gift card OF ANY TYPE ... this includes both the Disney Gift Cards and a VISA Gift card. She showed me that the cash register did not even give the clerk the option to accept gift card payment.

Next up, I called the Disney Gift Card hotline listed on the card and the associate immediately told me that their cards could NOT be combined and that, yes, you could NO LONGER go to a Disney store to combine them.

Finally, just to be sure, I called Disneyland directly and asked the cast member about this. She was not aware of the changes at the Disney Store regarding this matter.

In all instances, everyone confirmed that you can take your stack of Disney cards and purchase a ticket to the park with multiple cards. But, why this is a bummer, is that you can not use more than 1 gift card when you purchase tickets on-line. This factors in with the AAA discounted tickets. Because AAA ultimately links into the Disney site, you can only use one card toward a AAA purchased ticket.

So, plan accordingly. As for me, I will just purchase one ticket via AAA so that I get the free parking and use one $50 giftcard and pay the rest on my credit card.

At the Disney Store I worked at you haven't been able to do that for at least 2 years. You can't pay for a gift card with a gift card. Same at the parks--people would want to merge a bunch of small gift cards onto one new gift card and the register will not let us.

What happens if you purchase something at the Disney Store with multiple gift cards, then return the item. Will they put the full amount back onto one new gift card? Or, is the new card a merchandise credit that you can only use at the Disney Store?

UPDATE - just called the Disney Store and they said it would be put onto a Merchandise Credit card, so wouldn't be able to consolidate cards via this method. Oh well, I tried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter