changes and their affect on insurance

jack87891

Mouseketeer
We're looking to book a cruise for next April with our adult kids. it's possible they may need to change plans (even cancel). We're looking at insurance that covers cancel for any reason. you have to choose and pay for this within the first 14-21 days of initial payment. i understand that prior to the PIF date, we can make whatever changes we want ( different date, different itinerary etc). Prior to the PIF date, how does a change affect insurance? if we reduce the # of rooms, is the higher insurance cost just "sunk"? if we switch itineraries, does the insurance transfer to the new cruise and dates or do they consider this a cancellation and you start over with insurance?

if the change is made from 2 rooms to 1 room after the PIF date, will the cost of the one room be refunded?

hope this isn't too confusing

We're looking to book a cruise for next April with our adult kids. it's possible they may need to change plans (even cancel). We're looking at insurance that covers cancel for any reason. you have to choose and pay for this within the first 14-21 days of initial payment. i understand that prior to the PIF date, we can make whatever changes we want ( different date, different itinerary etc). Prior to the PIF date, how does a change affect insurance? if we reduce the # of rooms, is the higher insurance cost just "sunk"? if we switch itineraries, does the insurance transfer to the new cruise and dates or do they consider this a cancellation and you start over with insurance?

if the change is made from 2 rooms to 1 room after the PIF date, will the cost of the one room be refunded?

hope this isn't too confusing
I think I understand your questions, so let me try to help.

First, cancel for any reason insurance generally only pays for a % of the cost (such as 75%). So if you cancel for no covered reason after PIF, not all the money will be returned.

Second, while each policy relates to specific travel dates, many insurance companies will allow you to move the coverage to another travel date. But each one is different, so you need to talk to them about this. If you can't move it and you cancel even before the PIF date, you will lose the cost of the insurance for those not traveling.

Third, insurance is priced per-person, not per cabin. For those who cancel, they will be eligible for benefits based on the cost of their travel.

I hope this answers some of your questions. -- Suzanne

Last edited:
You've got two things impacting this... first, DCL's policies and second, what insurance covers.

DCL's policy will allow full refund up until the PIF date, unless you are booked concierge. So while you might need to purchase the insurance early to get the "cancel for any reason" coverage, it still wouldn't come into play until after the PIF date (unless concierge).

After the PIF date, pretty much anything that changes (reduces) the number of staterooms and/or passengers is likely to be considered a cancellation by DCL. Changing dates after PIF is also considered a cancellation. Cancellation penalties will apply, % depends on how close to sail date. Insurance *may* be transferable to a new itinerary date, either before or after PIF; if you anticipate the possibility of changing dates you should confirm the insurance you purchase will stay with the reservation number.

And just to clarify your last question... if you have 2 staterooms booked but decide to drop 1 and move all passengers to 1 remaining stateroom after the PIF... first, that will depend on muster station availability in the remaining stateroom. And second, it would be considered a cancellation of passengers booked to that second stateroom (room to be cancelled) and newly adding those passengers to the reservation of the remaining stateroom, at the current prevailing rates.

As PP mentions, you'll want to know the specifics of the actual policy you purchase. If you believe any of these scenarios might occur, I suggest specifically asking about each scenario when pricing a policy to make sure you are getting the coverage you want/need.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think I understand your questions, so let me try to help.

First, cancel for any reason insurance generally only pays for a % of the cost (such as 75%). So if you cancel for no covered reason after PIF, not all the money will be returned.

Second, while each policy relates to specific travel dates, many insurance companies will allow you to move the coverage to another travel date. But each one is different, so you need to talk to them about this. If you can't move it and you cancel even before the PIF date, you will lose the cost of the insurance for those not traveling.

Third, insurance is priced per-person, not per cabin. For those who cancel, they will be eligible for benefits based on the cost of their travel.

I hope this answers some of your questions. -- Suzanne
thanks suzanne!!!

I purchased a travel insurance policy back in late October of 2013, when we did an on-board booking of a place holder cruise, as we initially wanted to do an Alaska cruise, but did not know what date we wanted, or was it the summer cruise dates and itineraries weren't available... I can't exactly remember, but in any case, we booked on board, I purchased our travel insurance, with the tentative date matching our on board booking, and waited till we could plan out, and select a date for our Alaska Cruise. Once we were able to plan, and select a date. I called Allianz, and was able to move my date, change the total cost of our trip to be covered, was able to keep the pre-existing conditions and cancel for any reason (work, health, etc) coverage.

Funny thing is, after we booked our Alaska Cruise, a couple months later, the Fall itineraries were announced, and we changed our minds and decided to do the EBPC instead. The dates worked out almost perfectly with the 24 month OBB rule, as we did our OBB on the 2nd to the last day of our cruise which was like 10/26/2013, and the EBPC departs on 10/23/2015. Allianz was ok with the date change again, and the change in price as well, I even added an additional child to our policy as were pregnant during the time of our initial booking of the EBPC, and didn't have the name and information required for the cruise or the insurance policy. which reminds me, i need to make one more adjustment, as we are leaving a couple days earlier than we anticipated...

hope this helps.

I purchased a travel insurance policy back in late October of 2013, when we did an on-board booking of a place holder cruise, as we initially wanted to do an Alaska cruise, but did not know what date we wanted, or was it the summer cruise dates and itineraries weren't available... I can't exactly remember, but in any case, we booked on board, I purchased our travel insurance, with the tentative date matching our on board booking, and waited till we could plan out, and select a date for our Alaska Cruise. Once we were able to plan, and select a date. I called Allianz, and was able to move my date, change the total cost of our trip to be covered, was able to keep the pre-existing conditions and cancel for any reason (work, health, etc) coverage.

Funny thing is, after we booked our Alaska Cruise, a couple months later, the Fall itineraries were announced, and we changed our minds and decided to do the EBPC instead. The dates worked out almost perfectly with the 24 month OBB rule, as we did our OBB on the 2nd to the last day of our cruise which was like 10/26/2013, and the EBPC departs on 10/23/2015. Allianz was ok with the date change again, and the change in price as well, I even added an additional child to our policy as were pregnant during the time of our initial booking of the EBPC, and didn't have the name and information required for the cruise or the insurance policy. which reminds me, i need to make one more adjustment, as we are leaving a couple days earlier than we anticipated...

hope this helps.
thanks very much. as i understand it the cancel for any reason must be purchased in the first 10-15 days of the booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter