Changes ahead for 2008 room bookings!!

You know, I don't see the problem... first off, I don't see anywhere that it says there WILL be a premium for weekends, just that they COULD consider weekends premium. Well, they COULD consider the 13th of every month premium as well, but does that mean you won't travel on the 13th?

Why don't people wait and see what happens? You can always rant about how "high" the room rate is then.

Free dining ended earlier this year then past years. Some of us think Disney wanted to stop the guests who booked a trip that began the last day of free dining but continued their stay through part of the F&W Festival.

The change will hurt guests who were able to take advantage of what was basically a loophole but might benefit other guests. Disney can set the end date of a promotion without having to consider the impact of guests who are able to stretch the promotion. Guests who were staying into value season would check out then check back in; but guests who were continuing there stay into higher priced seasons would keep their lower rates. The system made no sense.

You know, I don't see the problem... first off, I don't see anywhere that it says there WILL be a premium for weekends, just that they COULD consider weekends premium. Well, they COULD consider the 13th of every month premium as well, but does that mean you won't travel on the 13th?

Why don't people wait and see what happens? You can always rant about how "high" the room rate is then.

I guess we'll know soon enough because if true it's suppose to start next weekend on 6/23. While I know Deb Wills listed it as a rumor on her site, she does have alot of contacts and CM friends and she must've felt very strongly about this rumor as it's not a practice she has of posting rumors without there being something behind it. We all know change is good, so I'm waiting to see the good....so far I'm not seeing it yet.

Seems to be true and nothing we can do about it. The one thing I always loved about Disney resorts was that I never felt that I was being nickeled and dimed like I am at other hotels, but that all is going to change. Yes, Disney is becoming like other hotel chains, but that was the nice thing about staying at a Disney Resort, they weren't like other chains and they set their own rules and standards. Sad to think they are joining the cookie cutter mold of all of the rest of the chains. I've always stayed at a Disney resort because that is where I always wanted to be. I don't use DME, I don't use Disney transportation and I don't use EMH. So those perks have no value for us, but we still always choose to stay in the magic. I will make adjustments in the future. Before I wouldn't hesitate to grab a Friday flight down and stay overnight to get a jump start on that vacation. I will cut out those extras now and just arrive on my day one now. My change won't even cause a flicker in the scheme of things, but it will stretch my budget a little. I see this as a huge step backward to what attracts folks to their resorts. :sad2:

People are talking about this like its the end of the world and its pretty ridiculous. Even if they implement higher rates every weekend, it probably won't be more than $30-$50 more than the weekday rates. That means unless you are taking an extra long trip that encompasses two weekends, you are looking at a difference of no more than $100 for your trip to Disney, which in the grand scheme of Disney trips should not make or break anyone's budget unless they were already spending above their means.

To me this is far less of a problem than the ridiculous rates Disney charges for their resorts. How they get away with charging over $300 for a room no better than a Hilton still escapes me (except I still pay it). The extra weekend price increase just seems like good business sense.

Although highly doubtful, maybe this means that Disney could start pricing their rooms like most normal hotels and offer different prices based on occupancy for individual days so we wouldn't always have to pay rack rate.

People are talking about this like its the end of the world and its pretty ridiculous. Even if they implement higher rates every weekend, it probably won't be more than $30-$50 more than the weekday rates. That means unless you are taking an extra long trip that encompasses two weekends, you are looking at a difference of no more than $100 for your trip to Disney, which in the grand scheme of Disney trips should not make or break anyone's budget unless they were already spending above their means.

To me this is far less of a problem than the ridiculous rates Disney charges for their resorts. How they get away with charging over $300 for a room no better than a Hilton still escapes me (except I still pay it). The extra weekend price increase just seems like good business sense.

Although highly doubtful, maybe this means that Disney could start pricing their rooms like most normal hotels and offer different prices based on occupancy for individual days so we wouldn't always have to pay rack rate.

Couldn't agree more. All Disney is doing is doing what all other hotels do. And no one said EVERY weekend would have higher prices. Only certain weekends. And you can bet your bippy that they will monitor pricing vs. demand and act accordingly.

This change will definitely affect me. I found the 'loophole' and have taken advantage of it the past few years now. When I first found out about the change, I told DW and asked if she wanted to go earlier in December so we could pay Value the whole time. She said no. So we will suck it up, save a couple extra nickels here and there, and pay the rate.

Since Disney is starting their new reservation program next weekend does anyone think 2008 rates and season dates will come out at the same time? Or... will the seasonal rates NO longer exist??????? You would have to call for the dates of your trip and get a quote, again like other big hotel chains.

Since Disney is starting their new reservation program next wekend does anyone think 2008 rates and season dates will come out at the same time? Or... will the seasonal rates NO longer exist??????? You would have to call for the dates of your trip and get a quote, again like other big hotel chains.

I still think they will probably do the seasonal thing to some extent, but I think it would be great if they finally went to the regular booking system like all other hotels. It would probably result in savings for those willing to plan and investigate enough to find the cheapest individual dates.

Since Disney is starting their new reservation program next weekend does anyone think 2008 rates and season dates will come out at the same time? Or... will the seasonal rates NO longer exist??????? You would have to call for the dates of your trip and get a quote, again like other big hotel chains.

Yes, I think that 2008 rates and seasons will be released then.

My take on it is when they say weekends COULD be a premium, I am thinking if you book a weekend only trip it will be a premium. BUT if you book a week long stay, it will be the same price as the weekdays. Or at least 4 or more days, maybe 5 or more.

I won't get my undies in a bunch until I find out all the details. I remember the gripes when the tickets were going to MYW, and then it turned out that everyone did like it.

I know it's fun to speculate, and for some people complain, but why stress over something no one knows the full details about.

Tickets, and never buy those. I get a Seasonal Pass and Re-new it every year, plus I use the Passholder rate/code and save on my room.;) However, AAA has a GREAT deal going for a 7 day+7 day pass, which gives you a total of 7 days at the parks and aonther 7 days at TL and BB and Disney Quest, Pleasure Island and WWof Sports.:thumbsup2 I can harldy wait till the 23 of June to see about this latest change.:confused:

Looks like it's time to start booking Swan/Dolphin or a moderate instead of my usual Deluxe resorts. :sad2:

My take on it is when they say weekends COULD be a premium, I am thinking if you book a weekend only trip it will be a premium. BUT if you book a week long stay, it will be the same price as the weekdays. Or at least 4 or more days, maybe 5 or more.

I won't get my undies in a bunch until I find out all the details. I remember the gripes when the tickets were going to MYW, and then it turned out that everyone did like it.

I know it's fun to speculate, and for some people complain, but why stress over something no one knows the full details about.

If so, it will make me sad that the weekend guests will be penalized. Sure, we only live an hour away, so when we stay onsite, we only stay for 3 nights, but we have been known to make 2, 3 or 4 visits in one year....and we definitely eat all of our meals onsite, so they arent losing money on us their either.

I still think they will probably do the seasonal thing to some extent, but I think it would be great if they finally went to the regular booking system like all other hotels. It would probably result in savings for those willing to plan and investigate enough to find the cheapest individual dates.

Thats what Im hoping for as well :thumbsup2

So I guess ignorance is bliss. I went somewhere different last year and they charged a different rate later during our stay due to season changes. So, when I booked this trip, I made sure the entire stay was in the lower priced bracket. Hearing about this now means I can't use the newly found secret, but it is no different then 20 mintues ago when I didn't realize you could do that!

Seems to be true and nothing we can do about it. The one thing I always loved about Disney resorts was that I never felt that I was being nickeled and dimed like I am at other hotels, but that all is going to change. Yes, Disney is becoming like other hotel chains, but that was the nice thing about staying at a Disney Resort, they weren't like other chains and they set their own rules and standards. Sad to think they are joining the cookie cutter mold of all of the rest of the chains.

You know, if this means they get on the ball on the things where they lag behind other chains (Heavenly beds, anyone?) and bring themselves more inline with resorts in a comparable price range, I'll jump on the bandwagon in a heartbeat. But if history is any indication, this is more likely to be another rate increase without any increase in the value of their product. Another change of direction, it seems - the "affordable" thing must not be working for them, because all of the coming changes for 2008 (both in the room rates and the change to the dining plan) suggest that affordablity isn't going to be a selling point for Disney vacations in the immediate future.

You know, if this means they get on the ball on the things where they lag behind other chains (Heavenly beds, anyone?) and bring themselves more inline with resorts in a comparable price range, I'll jump on the bandwagon in a heartbeat. But if history is any indication, this is more likely to be another rate increase without any increase in the value of their product.

I completely agree with this sentiment.

If Disney is doing this to "be like all the other hotel chains", then they should ALSO step it up with FREE high speed/wi-fi internet access in ALL rooms in ALL resorts (seriously, if Holiday Inn Express can do it...), quality bed linens and towels, and to be quite honest, something akin to free continental breakfast, at least at the Deluxes. It is rather pathetic what Disney gets away with charging, just based solely on the location and brand name of their resort hotels. I guess it's not so much Disney that is pathetic as much as we all are, for paying their prices. However, I think Disney takes advantage of their "advantage" and really overcharges for an inferior product (compared to at least 5 national chains I could mention that offer more for less).

The other thing I wanted to say is that this whole price matrix thing (based on speculation until the actual facts emerge) just smacks of Las Vegas. There, you pay very little for a hotel room Sun-Thurs (let's say an average of $200/night for a nice resort on the strip). If you try to book the SAME rooms on either Friday or Saturday night, or around ALL holidays, major and minor, the rate jumps up to an average of $380/night. It's no negligible amount. Vegas does this because Vegas is, primarily, a weekend desitnation to a lot of travelers.

Disneyland hotels (the three on property) ALSO do this. The rates are VERY different on weekdays vs. weekends, and weekends are ALWAYS blocked out for AP discounts/special rates. So, don't expect a "small increase" like $30-40/night on the weekends. Expect something more like value season prices during the week, peak season prices during the weekend.

So long as people keep staying there, Disney has NO reason to charge less/offer more amenities. Why should they? Some people seem to think corporate execs want people to feel good... what they want is to make money.

In my mind, you just have to balance the features and the cost. Unless they raise the cost to the point where they can't fill the hotels, they have no incentive to make changes.

I completely agree with this sentiment.

If Disney is doing this to "be like all the other hotel chains", then they should ALSO step it up with FREE high speed/wi-fi internet access in ALL rooms in ALL resorts (seriously, if Holiday Inn Express can do it...), quality bed linens and towels, and to be quite honest, something akin to free continental breakfast, at least at the Deluxes. It is rather pathetic what Disney gets away with charging, just based solely on the location and brand name of their resort hotels. I guess it's not so much Disney that is pathetic as much as we all are, for paying their prices. However, I think Disney takes advantage of their "advantage" and really overcharges for an inferior product (compared to at least 5 national chains I could mention that offer more for less).

Very good points!

So let me get this straight. Everyone is getting upset over something that is not even confirmed yet? Bizarre. :scared:

But if this does go into affect, the benefits for both the guest and business will play out in the end.

We enjoy the attractions, theme parks, entertainment...that Disney provides. But it takes $$$ to make that happen. The money that we all spend goes back into a company that provides entertainment to generations of our families. How many companies can say that?

I do not think that it is directed at any one group or to increase membership in DVC. It is also not designed to keep out Fl Residents (I am one of them) or passholders. It is designed to maximize the hotel occupancy and come in line with other hotels in the industry.

Plus think about what you get for staying in a Disney hotel (Transportation, Perferred Park admission if the park closes to capacity, pools, free parking if you drive...) It is so worth the deal in my opinion.

I like to read the posts of people who will not stay on Disney Property but will still come to the parks. You are making up that difference from the room rates in Car Rentals, Parking Fees, Gas...So in the end, are you saving more money?

In the end, we all enjoy Disney and will keep coming back. WE just need to plan our dollars better.

Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter