Change Jar!!!

""The secret to good savings is not being able to get to the money until your DH breaks out the power tools.... ""

Grumpy'swife---that is so funny! I love your box.

We have a large, glass jar for change. It's so big, it takes years to fill it. We estimate it holds about $600. (emptied it once when it wasn't quite full and it contained a little over $500)

I really like the box idea better though. I can't add dollars to the glass jar because I'd see them, know they were there and could easily get them. I can't be trusted!

LittleBugMom- We keep our change in a large plastic guitar cup that my boyfriend's mom got at a concert! The neck is tall and slender and its hard to get bills down into the guitar part..so what we started doing is continuing to put change in the guitar,,,but put all our bills in a Disney mug I use as decoration. We fold the bills over in the mug so we can't see them! Then we unfold the roll and count up what we have along with the change!!

My mom gave our son the cutest present a couple of years ago. It's one of those large water cooler jugs (glass) and she had her friend paint Mickey Mouse with a suitcase (which has my DS name on it) and he's walking towards Cinderella's castle....across the top it says "Our Disney Vacation". We love watching it fill up, and we are always amazed how much $ we have collected once we roll our coins. :cool1:

Is there any way you can post a picture of this? It sounds too cute!

I don't have enough resistance to wait to count my change. Each week it goes into a community collection jar and then the kids and I count it every Thursday.

I LOVE IT! :) Can he make me one too? LOL!!!!
Nice job!!

""The secret to good savings is not being able to get to the money until your DH breaks out the power tools.... ""

Grumpy'swife---that is so funny! I love your box.

We have a large, glass jar for change. It's so big, it takes years to fill it. We estimate it holds about $600. (emptied it once when it wasn't quite full and it contained a little over $500)

I really like the box idea better though. I can't add dollars to the glass jar because I'd see them, know they were there and could easily get them. I can't be trusted!

Thanks! :goodvibes I love having a DH who took woodshop in high school, it sure comes in handy sometimes!

littlbugmom, I can't be trusted either! We started with a huge glass jar, but after a while I was really sure we needed a pizza from Papa Murphy's, or a night out at the movies, or SOMETHING that was just too easy to pay for by robbing the Disney fund. I finally had to go with the box to save me from myself, and now I am ADDICTED to putting money in there. I want something to go in every day, even if it is just a penny I find in a parking lot! :rotfl:

For awhile we kept the jar in the living room and yes the money sitting there was tempting. More recently I put the jar in our bedroom under a desk, it is easy to get to the hole to add change or even bills, but not easy to pull the container out, so it is less tempting. Plus I am the sort of person who likes just seeing how full the container can get and really have a goal of seeing it filled to the top before we have the next unveiling.:rotfl:

I love my change jar too!

We also started taking out the $1 bills from our wallets at the end of the week and putting them in as well, and our savings just exploded --- we had over $600 saved in under a year to spend at Disney last Thanksgiving. The easiest savings plan ever!

Thanks bunches for this tip! I am going to start doing this as well!

OK. . . how frightening is it that now I am even more excited for my December trip so I can get a plastic popcorn bucket, lug it around, pack it up in the luggage, haul it home . . . so I can use it for a change bucket to save for my NEXT Disney trip! :rotfl: I think I may need help. ;)

I was just thinking the same thing. Yep I think I am in need of help as well or in need of more help than you. I took it a step further and decided to write it down in my trip planning notes. Get plastic DL popcorn bucket to replace ceramic change jar. popcorn::

This thread really made it fun to see how others save change/money for their trips. I so just want to count all the money in my Coke bottle right now. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

So today my DFi came home with this for me and I just had to show you guys my new change Jar!!!

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

OK. . . how frightening is it that now I am even more excited for my December trip so I can get a plastic popcorn bucket, lug it around, pack it up in the luggage, haul it home . . . so I can use it for a change bucket to save for my NEXT Disney trip! :rotfl: I think I may need help. ;)

I am just as bad as you, if not worse. My friend is going in Sept. I am thinking "I can have her pick me up one and drag it home"... along with the other stuff I am planning on asking her pick up like some of those special jibbitz that fit in Mickey crocs for the X-Mas stocking, Mickey head pasta for DD's birthday dinner and I am sure I will come up with more stuff in the next month. :rotfl:

We have a big plastic Biscotti container that probaly came from Sams or BJ's with a lid. Right now that is our Disney change jar. Our credit union has a change machine at the main branch and I am quite amazed, the jar was barely full last time we went and I guessed $30, it had $60+. They were supposed to add machines to all the branches but I guess they are a lot of work. They have to be cleaned out every day since the money is dirty and sticky, and messes-up some of the parts.

Just a quick story.... in 1982 my Grandfather passed-away. He saved all his change in Old Spice jars in the basement. Me and my 2 cousins inherited all the basement money (my grandmother added a little to make it even)... $5000 PER KID! Mom let me buy a Cabbage Patch kid then the rest went to college! LOL

Love, love, love my change jar. I have a small one that when its full I empty it in to a large cookie tin that's about 4" deep. I think I might have to drag home one of those popcorn buckets when we go in December as well. Especially since my Mom has already told me since I get my dream trip this time around by staying at the Poly, that our trip in 2011 gets to be her dream trip. So we will start saving as soon as we get home so she can stay at AKL in a savannah view room.

It does add up, doesn't it?

I have a mason jar on my kitchen counter and I put quarters, dimes and nickels in it. The last time I filled it up there was $133 in it. I was working as a waitress then though so it filled up fast. Now that I'm no longer doing that, it's going to take lots longer to fill it up. :(

I use one of DD's old Pampers Wipe containers. Inside I have an envelope for cash and then I just throw the change in the container.
I have to get to the bank to deposit the cash into my savings, we have a little over $500 cash saved for our Aug 2010 vacation. Change....we have maybe $30-$40.

My change jar is actually a cookie jar. We always fly Southwest and I was able to purchase a cookie jar shaped from them shaped like a plane. He looks like a cartoon plane right down to his smile :) We have named him "Sammy Southwest" and his little cargo hold has accumulated enough to finance several LeCellier dinners over the years :woohoo:

We use the old refilable buckets for popcorn from disney, we start saving when we get back form each yearly Disney trip - I just rolled over $1000 CDN :)

So today my DFi came home with this for me and I just had to show you guys my new change Jar!!!

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

is this homemade? Or did you purchase this wonderful change container somewhere? My boyfriend wants....nay NEEDS one of these!! Thanks!

that mickey bank is SO cool!

I just rolled 265 dollars in changed and it bought my airfare my flight was 259 dollars for my december trip so the few extra dollars went back into my popcorn bucket that sits on the kitchen counter im hoping to have at least another hundred dollars before the trip in december... plus every week i take 50 dollars and put it on a disney giftcard its another great lil saving plan for disney because you can only spend it in a few locations (disney store, disney online, or disney parks!) you can even use it to pay for you vacation package

is this homemade? Or did you purchase this wonderful change container somewhere? My boyfriend wants....nay NEEDS one of these!! Thanks!

My partner made it at work for me he is a welder and he has been working on it for days. There is a little note on the back that made me cry he is such a sweetie!!!:lovestruc

oooooooo shiney

How do you get the money OUT?

There is a flap on the back of the box to get the money out but its welded shut so I can get it out before we go away.....:laughing:

We just cashed out change in today from our "Mickey bank" and there was $400 dollars in there..we also throw in singles that are left in our pockets and were surprised to find a $20 and a few 5's..lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter